Murano now $65. per person?

OkanaganRon

On our Silhouette TA last year, on the first night out of Civitavecchia, the SR's were hunting for customers at a 2 for 1 discount. How they did this, though, was just classless and so "un Celebrity like". They had a waiter from one of the SR's at the entrance to the MDR, accosting everyone who were excited to be on board and having their first dinner of the cruise with "You don't want to eat here....the food at Murano, Qsine, Lawn Club, et al. is much better!"

Oh great, that's exactly what you want to hear on the first night of the cruise that the food sucks in the MDR.

Hrm, my quote button isn't working but Terry is right about the intent to discount. Plus it leaves the opportunity open to get that full price from anyone who pre-books or find the retail price 'scary' enough to buy dining packages.

JCPenney learned that lesson. They went "no discounts" back to the coupon system because Kohl's was trouncing them.

As others have said, it's $50/pp USD. I do think it's getting a little steep, but I'm wondering if they are raising the prices of the specialty restaurants and then when you get onboard and they make an offer of 2 for 1, you think you're getting a real bargain! Just sayin'

Bingo! Marketing 101. Hit up the emotional buyers with the high MSRP. Then offer a discount to the savvy shopper who can take it or leave it and is more concerned with a great deal than a great meal.

The “Creamy Maine Lobster Bisque” is one of their most popular starter items at Murano. It is far different from what is served on the rest of the Solstice. It involves seven hours prep time for the different items. The broth is poured into your bowl with nice drama . . . and great taste. There are ten different starter options. You can have as many courses of starters as you wish. I had a second starter of Diver Scallop Wellington-Style. The warm goat cheese souffle is also a popular item here. : [/b]

One time in Murano, I ordered the soup and a salad and was told that would incur an extra $85 charge....as I was only allowed to order one starter. I stayed with the soup as it is the best. I should have run up to the buffet and brought my own salad in with me. That would have been a hoot. :D

One time in Murano, I ordered the soup and a salad and was told that would incur an extra $85 charge....as I was only allowed to order one starter. I stayed with the soup as it is the best. I should have run up to the buffet and brought my own salad in with me. That would have been a hoot. :D

Fortunately, from my experiences on two different Celebrity Solstice cruises, I have never had that problem in either the MDR or the Speciality dining places from ordering a couple of different starter items. Maybe they awarded me more "pity".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,663 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Ditto! We can definitely afford it, but I won't let myself be a fool. I remember the good old days when the SR's were $20. That was reasonable.

I really do love Celebrity but have to mention that on Princess, you can still go to the Crown Grill for $25 pp. The food was incredible and they even served the meat dish with an assortment of different salts. Nice touch!

When I was done with my meal, I had some lobster left over that I just couldn't finish. The waiter wrapped it up into a little swan basket for me. I had the most delicious lobster that next morning!! Now ... loved that and it was reasonable to go a couple times each cruise.

Oh great, that's exactly what you want to hear on the first night of the cruise that the food sucks in the MDR.

You get that sometimes as you board and they try and sell off the spa and drink packages along with the specialty restaurant packages.

Fortunately, from my experiences on two different Celebrity Solstice cruises, I have never had that problem in either the MDR or the Speciality dining places from ordering a couple of different starter items. Maybe they awarded me more "pity".

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 183,663 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

They were offering the 5 senses menu (I think that was the name of it) and if I wanted a salad with the soup, I had to purchase that package. I did notify customer relations and they made it right. So, no harm no foul ... but the service was just a bit lacking. Not so on the Century's Murano....they couldn't do enough for us.

They were offering the 5 senses menu (I think that was the name of it) and if I wanted a salad with the soup, I had to purchase that package. I did notify customer relations and they made it right. So, no harm no foul ... but the service was just a bit lacking. Not so on the Century's Murano....they couldn't do enough for us.

The ships make a bit of a difference but for those prices, it should be great service everywhere.

I really do love Celebrity but have to mention that on Princess, you can still go to the Crown Grill for $25 pp. The food was incredible and they even served the meat dish with an assortment of different salts. Nice touch!

When I was done with my meal, I had some lobster left over that I just couldn't finish. The waiter wrapped it up into a little swan basket for me. I had the most delicious lobster that next morning!! Now ... loved that and it was reasonable to go a couple times each cruise.

They also serve Goat Cheese Souffle in the MDR for no cost :)

If one really felt that they didn't want to spend money on something they have already paid for, then they should not be spending money on a stateroom because they have already paid for living quarters back home which are going unused.

I completely agree. I do think they are increasing prices a bit too much lately, but I am not going to forgo my evening in Murano. That place is usually our one special splurge on vacation. We can forgo the other specialty places, as they are just okay in our opinion.

I have enjoyed the specialty restaurants on Princess also. Great value and great food. I can live without the table side food prep.

We've been to many of the specialties on Celebrity as well as HAL since 2000 and feel your spot on.

Our first was the Olympic and the food was excellent however there was more to the experience than just the food. Everything from the white glove butterfly service to the roving violinist made it truly an evening to remember. Our last was a few years ago in the Normandie. Over the years we have seen not only the food but all other aspects of the experience go downhill a bit.

If you want to dine in the specialties that is fine and I am sure you are and will be very happy but not my cup of tea any longer, and this has nothing to do with dollars and cents just our personal opinion.

OMO

bosco

Add on the server who came around after dinner with flaming specialty coffees prepared at your table and you have the MDR every night 20 years ago.

Perhaps with the new Go better program, X is counting on some of those that take the OBC offer will spend the money in a Specialty Restaurant. If one feels they are getting something for "free", then they won't feel it's their money they are spending.

On our Silhouette TA last year, on the first night out of Civitavecchia, the SR's were hunting for customers at a 2 for 1 discount. How they did this, though, was just classless and so "un Celebrity like". They had a waiter from one of the SR's at the entrance to the MDR, accosting everyone who were excited to be on board and having their first dinner of the cruise with "You don't want to eat here....the food at Murano, Qsine, Lawn Club, et al. is much better!"

If they really felt it was necessary to grab customers from the MDR, they might have set up a table 20 feet from the MDR entrance. But this carnival barker thing was just inappropriate.

We did have the 5 dinner package, but not this year. Other than Tuscan and Lawn Club, the rest were disappointing in a way that we have not experienced in all our years on Celebrity. And this year, with the Canadian dollar at 35% we are likely skipping the SR's. We found the nights we ate in the MDR - some breakfasts and lunches too, to be very good and our time there enjoyable.

We are doing the Silhouette TA this year and we also purchased the 5 dinner package. It was $149 when we purchased and it has already gone up $10. I am happy I locked in at lower price but I am still thinking of cancelling the package. The price comes out to $30/meal. This is our first time trying Celebrity and was thinking about trying all the restaurants. Thinking maybe it is better to wait for discounts on board and we can use OBC.

Edited by springfire

Perhaps with the new Go better program, X is counting on some of those that take the OBC offer will spend the money in a Specialty Restaurant. If one feels they are getting something for "free", then they won't feel it's their money they are spending.

You may be onto something there. In the past we have always just gone for the best deal whether it included OBC or not, now nearly every deal has much more OBC but the prices are slightly higher (sort of works out even). So for those that like to spend it may seem free but it may not be a free as it seems.

People think they are getting a deal. The price of Murano has gone from $25 to $50. But you think you are getting a deal because they are giving you 20% off on the first night! What a deal

Edited by keesar

We are doing the Silhouette TA this year and we also purchased the 5 dinner package. It was $149 when we purchased and it has already gone up $10. I am happy I locked in at lower price but I am still thinking of cancelling the package. The price comes out to $30/meal. This is our first time trying Celebrity and was thinking about trying all the restaurants. Thinking maybe it is better to wait for discounts on board and we can use OBC.

Wait till you get onboard and you'll be able to negotiate better pricing and I also was able to get a couple bottles of wine comped with the dinners as well . I hope you'll have better luck at Tuscan than we did.

Wait till you get onboard and you'll be able to negotiate better pricing and I also was able to get a couple bottles of wine comped with the dinners as well . I hope you'll have better luck at Tuscan than we did.

Our cruise did not offer this package onboard as there was no availability. It was so busy that there was only one night (other than the first) that Qsine was available before 9 pm and that time was 6 pm. No discounts except for the first night which was 20%.

I paid $25 for lunch at the Lawn. I could have grilled a better meal. Grilled frozen fish does not make it.

As for Murano, I order the so-called lobster just to see the preparation table side. The "lobster" is another story...

I'm from Boston so I have access to the best lobsters in the world on a daily basis. I agree, Murano's lobster is not "real" lobster in the sense of what I can go out my door and get which originates in Maine and is night and day even to Canadian lobster let alone Caribbean. But, I still think the overall dish is good and there are some truly phenomenal menu choices at Murano. It's our favorite specialty and really the only one I personally think is worth $50 each. I would challenge anyone to go to a decent restaurant, order what you can get at Murano's and have a bill come in under $50. Now, if someone feels it isn't worth it because of near equitable quality in the included dining room, I'd disagree, but understand. I just don't understand how $50 can be overpriced for a meal there when I find it hard to believe you could get the same at a restaurant in our hometown for that price.

Edited by purpletequila

I really wish I knew what this post meant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ha Ha. Sorry, Kevin.

Fam=Family.

UDP=Ultimate Dining Plan.

The UDP is only offered at check in/onboard. It is very limited if it is even available. I believe it's about $30 a day but you can eat at all/any of the specialities whenever, every day of your cruise.

Personally, I LOVE Murano and I think it is the most expensive right now. Even with a 30% off deal, the UDP would be better and would also give me the options of The Porch, Bistro on Five etc.

Hope that clears it up.