Embarkation

mw1

We are staying in a different cabin to our son and our embarkation times are 2 hours apart. I know groups can check in together but should we go for the earlier time or later one???

I am assuming you each received emails with different boarding times? If so, ignore them, they are not enforced at all. Those are sent to try and stagger the boarding process, but no one is turned away for arriving early than "their" time.

We are staying in a different cabin to our son and our embarkation times are 2 hours apart. I know groups can check in together but should we go for the earlier time or later one???

Which cruise line? We just go whenever we are pleased :) We like to check in early, but this probably depends on the ship and port.

By the way, calls from cabin to cabin are free, in case you get separated at the check-in.

P&O -Ventura.

I have been on a cunard cruise where people seemed to stick to times for embarkation and everything ran smoothly!

I've been with P&O from Southampton about 7 times, and have usually turned up for check-in around 11.30am, when the desks open, whatever time we've been given. In May we were with a large party in a mini bus, all with different times, and arrived after 12.30....the staff had already checked in 2,000 people, and called for us all to hurry to the desks because there was no-one else around....our time was for 3.30pm!

The times to avoid are between 1pm and 3pm, when all the coaches arrive, and these times are not usually given to individual cruisers.

Is your son a minor? I have no experience with P&O but I wouldn't think that any cruise line would separate a minor and a parent, regardless of what cabins and times you are assigned.

If the son is a minor they cannot book by themselves. I would be very surprised - and shocked - it the cruise line allowed a minor to book a cabin by themselves. An adult is always required on the booking.

Edited by SantaFeFan

If the son is a minor they cannot book by themselves. I would be very surprised - and shocked - it the cruise line allowed a minor to book a cabin by themselves. An adult is always required on the booking.

Some allow people to book connecting cabins or one across the hall with a child in it. They have to be over a certain age and within a certain proximity. I know carnival allows this, but since I don't have children I can't give the specifics. That's the reason I asked.