Tropical Storm Danny

tarps14

Right now they have it getting 'close' to the Lesser Antilles by Sunday. As is typical with these storms, it's pretty much anybodies guess from there. If you're cruising to the US Virgins or Puerto Rico next week, I'd keep an eye on it. Here is another site I really like for keeping track of these storms.

http://spaghettimodels.com/

Some good news is that there is a large amount of dry air and Saharan dust just north and west of this storm. If it does turn north, it will likely not amount to much. Otherwise westward towards Mexico.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Some good news is that there is a large amount of dry air and Saharan dust just north and west of this storm. If it does turn north, it will likely not amount to much. Otherwise westward towards Mexico.

let's hope so, fingers crossed!

The next several week is peak period for hurricane within the season, forecasted to be below normal - season CC's booked should know most of this ... nothing to panic about, yet - check the official sites as well your own, i.e. Weather Underground in 48 to 72 days as it moved closer to the Americas, it often turn north & apart into the Atlantic. It's just another tropical storm.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/graphics_at4.shtml?5-daynl#contents

Those sailing in the warmer weather - pack your gears & motion-sickness items accordingly: saltine crackers, plain toast, green apples, crystallized ginger and ginger ale ... as proven crew member's remedies, in addition to patches, wristbands & OTC meds.

Ships in the path of oncoming storm will navigate hundreds of nautical miles out of the storm/harm's way if needed, skip ports and/or altered the itineraries. Stay alert to changes if going onshore in case the ship need to sail earlier than planned & have the designated Port Agent's name/mobile phone # handy for emergency contacts, and keep that smartphone fully charged if crossing the gangway.

Those w. upper deck's AFT/Fwd cabins - enjoy your ride & check your shelves for UFO's and secure them. Good news is that, plenty of cancelled dinner reservations and no-shows, easy to do walk-up, and, hold on to those railings.

Those sailing in the warmer weather - pack your gears & motion-sickness items accordingly: saltine crackers, plain toast, green apples, crystallized ginger and ginger ale ... as proven crew member's remedies, in addition to patches, wristbands & OTC meds. .

Just a comment about crystallized ginger - or ginger of any kind. This is a good natural remedy, but it is NOT recommended for anyone who takes blood thinners.

Edited by ladylyn915

For what it's worth, I'm on the getaway right now. The crew is who informed us about Danny next week (we haven't even been watching tv), so at least we know they are paying attention :). Yesterday we sailed with the Nightwind in st Thomas and captain Rick wasn't at all concerned. Says it's too early to tell anything. Today in virgin Gorda we overheard talk among the locals, but again no one seemed overly concerned. Blessings for safe travels to all.

Looks like Danny sucked in some dry Saharan dusty air today and is not looking very well developed. Hopefully when it gets closer to the Caribbean it will get torn up by the upper level wind shear and will end up as mostly a rain event.

What a Horrible person I am!:o

My First thought was HURRiCANE>>> Cheap last minute deal :o

Are my bags ready to go??

Will FDR Discount ?

I should be ashamed of myself, hoping for bad weather for my own gain. :eek:

Based on latest NHC forecasted outlook issued @ 5PM, EDT - storm will likely fade & downgrade by the weekend, next update @ 11 PM - quoting the Public Advisory (verbatim text):

DISCUSSION AND 48-HOUR OUTLOOK

------------------------------

At 500 PM AST (2100 UTC), the center of the small eye of Hurricane

Danny was located by satellite near latitude 13.0 North, longitude

45.7 West. Danny is moving toward the west-northwest near 10 mph (17

km/h) and this general motion is expected to continue into Saturday.

Maximum sustained winds have increased to near 80 mph (130 km/h)

with higher gusts. Some additional strengthening is forecast during

the next 24 hours, but a weakening trend is expected to begin after

that.

Danny is a very small tropical cyclone. Hurricane-force winds

only extend outward up to 10 miles (20 km) from the center and

tropical-storm-force winds extend outward up to 60 miles (95 km).

By then & into next weekend, open waters down in the Bahamas/Caribbean islands might be a little rougher - those with scheduled stops @ GSC, might be looking at skipping it & heading elsewhere as tendering would not be advisable for safety reasons.

Ships can easily go around the small tropical "storm" or what's left of it - showers & clouds, etc.

There is another one, possibly "brewing" just off the west coast of Africa on the other side of the Atlantic, 10% of becoming a storm & heading west toward the Americas.

When I think of storms I am reminded: 95% of them never even materialize, the ones that do are most liking tropical storms and not full blown hurricanes and keep in mind, the ship captain and crew are very much aware of any sea disturbance that could affect the smoothness and or safety of the ship.

This time of the year: mid Aug to the first week of Oct are high season for storms, but there isn't much any of us can do about them.

Good luck to all, don't worry about what might be and enjoy your cruise. We will be facing a similare situation in Oct, but it is late enough and off the pacific coast I am not letting it bother me. Or at least I don't think I am. LOL