Hurricane Danny

If you look at our history, we traditionally cruise after Labor Day. Love the fact that the ships manage to go about and around the weather.:)

Luckily, so far the most we have experienced are two missed ports (2 extra sea days and some complimentary cocktails.):D:D:D

Our new favorite time to cruise! Boarding Freedom of the Seas on 9/6 for two weeks. Did the same two last year and had absolutely beautiful weather.

Our new favorite time to cruise! Boarding Freedom of the Seas on 9/6 for two weeks. Did the same two last year and had absolutely beautiful weather.

Julie, we're getting on as you get off. Between us we're gonna laugh and have fun for three consecutive weeks on the FOS in spite of the storms.:D:D

Edited by CORKY_Q

Just a thought. I don't know if Danny will become a hurricane, but it looks like it will. The path is not know if and when it could make land fall. But, if I were parking my car at any Fl. cruise port, I would not park at ground level. Just in case it hits and there is flooding. Park up a level. Don't forget you are only a few feet about sea level at the port. Storm serge can be high.

Leaving Sunday on Freedom to Eastern Caribbean - (well leaving Sunday for somewhere!) and parking at the port. THANKS for that tip!

I am hoping for better weather than is predicted, but packing extra Dramamine and a pair of sea bands. I may have to change that signature line:eek:

M

Edited by cruisegirl1

Leaving Sept5th on Oasis, wife wants to cancel cruise. Someone calm her down for me.

Our local meteorologist out of Atlanta is saying Danny is going to have a tough time developing into much. Something about it coming into very dry air and wind shear. Of course, mother nature can certainly change but no way would I cancel the cruise! Just prepare for altered itinerary.

Leaving Sunday on Freedom to Eastern Caribbean - (well leaving Sunday for somewhere!) and parking at the port. THANKS for that tip!

I am hoping for better weather than is predicted, but packing extra Dramamine and a pair of sea bands. I may have to change that signature line:eek:

M

I believe it was when Sandy hit NYC. At the cruise port in Brooklyn the water move the car in the parking lot!

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=5066

Edited by geocruiser

Our local meteorologist out of Atlanta is saying Danny is going to have a tough time developing into much. Something about it coming into very dry air and wind shear. Of course, mother nature can certainly change but no way would I cancel the cruise! Just prepare for altered itinerary.

I think the SOB will have passed through by the time we set sail.

He's From ct and has no idea and probably never had to pay attention to a hurricane.

Whether that poster is aware of Danny's location or not, the whole eastern seaboard has to worry about hurricanes. We've been banged around pretty good over the years up here in the northeast.

I'm also on Sunday's Freedom sailing. News this morning was showing it possibly being over Puerto Rico on Monday morning.

Last year on this same cruise, we missed Coco Cay due to bad weather. My kids were practically dancing with joy. It meant another sea day, and the FLOWRIDER OPEN ALL DAY!!! Of course this year, we have three additional teenagers coming with us and one of them is really looking forward to the beach day but I would be happy with the sea day.

I don't usually worry about it. The captain is an expert at this sort of thing and if plans have to change, they'll keep us all safe. That's why I never cruise for the itinerary during hurricane season...too much of a chance of things changing.

Leaving Sept5th on Oasis, wife wants to cancel cruise. Someone calm her down for me.

Why would she want to cancel a cruise that is more than two weeks away for a storm that is currently happening 1300 miles from any Caribbean landmass, and will be dead and gone by her cruise date? Seems odd...Perhaps, if her risk tolerance is so low, she should no longer book cruises during hurricane season!

I'm also leaving PR on Saturday. Am a little worried that stops may be changed for Danny, so I've been extra cautious and booked shore excursions with RCI rather than some of the independent ones I was looking at.

Our local weather team mentioned that as well. As of earlier this morning at least, it was looking like the storm would have to pass between two drier air masses. If the storm were to wobble a bit and bump up against one or both of those, that would likely weaken the storm. Still too early to tell.

NOAA just posted their latest advisory a few minutes ago...

THE CENTER OF TROPICAL STORM DANNY WAS LOCATED NEAR 11.2N 41.1W AT 1500 UTC...MOVING WEST AT 10 KT. ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1000 MB. MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WIND SPEED IS 45 KT WITH GUSTS UP TO 55 KT. CLUSTERS OF SCATTERED MODERATE CONVECTION ARE FROM 07N-14N BETWEEN 37W-45W. SOME STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 48 HOURS AND DANNY COULD BECOME A HURRICANE BY FRIDAY. PLEASE SEE LATEST NHC FORECAST/ADVISORY UNDER AWIPS/WMO HEADERS TCMAT4/WTNT24 KNHC FOR MORE DETAILS.

Edited by TheInnocentAge

Why would she want to cancel a cruise that is more than two weeks away for a storm that is currently happening 1300 miles from any Caribbean landmass, and will be dead and gone by her cruise date? Seems odd...Perhaps, if her risk tolerance is so low, she should no longer book cruises during hurricane season!

Agreed. This Floridian wouldn't cancel, especially a cruise weeks away. It could fizzle by then, strengthen and pass, who knows. But way too early to cancel, even if it is still around, the captain will alter course. Heck, so many storms take a turn at the last minute, no way to know. But definitely would not cancel.

Edited by sr4mjc

You may be on the ship before any announcement is made and then it is still very possible that your cruise proceeds as planned. At least you will be on a cruise!:)

That is a real good point. The bridge crew may have extra duties that turn around day, lots of phone calls to the home office.

Agreed. This Floridian wouldn't cancel, especially a cruise weeks away. It could fizzle by then, strengthen and pass, who knows. But way too early to cancel, even if it is still around, the captain will alter course. Heck, so many storms take a turn at the last minute, no way to know. But definitely would not cancel.

The latest GFS model shows it going north toward Bermuda. This is the projected position for Saturday August 29th. While things could certainly change, Id be more concerned about a Bermuda cruise in 10 days than i would be about the Caribbean.

11918939_474768359367100_3207770225000693106_n.png?oh=ec2f5d74db68af4245e6ea1758b6a543&oe=5684560B

...little to late for that. Just go and have a good time. The weather could turn out to be great. Nothing ever is guaranteed. Consider this a lesson learned when you are deciding to book another Cruise and the time of year you decide on.

Whether that poster is aware of Danny's location or not, the whole eastern seaboard has to worry about hurricanes. We've been banged around pretty good over the years up here in the northeast.

Yep. I've experienced more hurricanes up here, including one that financially destroyed me, than my Mom who has been living in Florida for the last 9 years........

...little to late for that. Just go and have a good time. The weather could turn out to be great. Nothing ever is guaranteed. Consider this a lesson learned when you are deciding to book another Cruise and the time of year you decide on.

Hurricane season is 6 full months per year. This has also been the quietest and least active storm season in a LONG time.

So what was the lesson learned?