I cheated on Carnival...and I liked it!!!

Hinano

Yep. Just got off the Westerdam Aug 15th and love that Dam ship. In a quick comparison, food was better, service was better, boat was cleaner, beds were more comfortable and the layout in several areas were better. First time I have ever enjoyed the lido food. My favorite was being able to get cheese, fruit and cracker platters with my wine. Incredibly happy they had my go to wine, Ferrari Carano Chard. :D Cabin bathroom 100% more convenient. Loved the med. cabinet and shower/tub combo. Could not believe all of our bags fit under the bed. (four large, two carry on) Whoever told about the under the bed drawers, loved those. Wow, what else, no singing waiters!!! Yeah. It was just a quieter vibe and I liked it. Most people were dressed very nicely on Gala/Formal nights with very few tuxedos. I made it until 10:30pm in the stilettos and changed in to my "crappy" clothes. J/K Second night, lower heels, made it until 2am. :eek: So I guess I did ok. We had a great trip. Bike and brew in Juneau was so much fun. Glacier bay was beautiful. Saw otters, seals and whales oh my, in Sitka. Ketchikan was our only non rain day but that was ok. Mother nature just wanted us to experience what we don't in Cali. RAIN!!! Only two things that stood out that Carnival does better. Health questionnaire is filled out before getting to port with Carnival. With Holland, we had fill it out at the port. If that was my fault, then I apologize but that was a pain. Sports bar!!! Really??? It was horrible but we are sports fanatics and spend time on each cruise watching sports. Not a deal breaker but it was disappointing. Thank you all for the valuable information you give. I may not post a lot but I do read. I think I am a convert. Never been happier with a cruise.

Thanks for your review. We enjoy the Westerdam and especially Alaska. It is good to hear that the tips you read on this forum had an impact on your cruise.

It must be noted that most cruisers will definitely return to Alaska because there is just too much to enjoy on just one visit.

Glad you had a good trip! As for the health questionnaire - it's not you. There is no online version.

Glad it wasn't me. On a side note, you are extremely helpful on this site. Thank you.

Thanks for your review. We enjoy the Westerdam and especially Alaska. It is good to hear that the tips you read on this forum had an impact on your cruise.

It must be noted that most cruisers will definitely return to Alaska because there is just too much to enjoy on just one visit.

So much to do, we are looking at another Alaska cruise next August.

This was very timely for me as we are trying to compare NCL Pearl vs HAL Westerdam for a cruise to Alaska next August. Glad to hear you enjoyed the Westerdam. We have always cruised CCL but have been disappointed in the last couple of cruises.

I think you just helped to make up our minds on which cruise to book!

Only two things that stood out that Carnival does better. Health questionnaire is filled out before getting to port with Carnival. With Holland, we had fill it out at the port.
IMO HAL's way is better because it's current, not days old.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

I read this thread with interest. Was attracted to it because the word "CHEATING" caught my attention.

I am and always have been an avid fan of HAl because of the overall experience DW and I have enjoyed with them, but they are not perfect and have changed a bit over the years( in some negative ways) as has the entire cruise industry in my affordable category.

I live in JAX fl about 15 min from the Carnival cruise pier so I did some comparative shopping and also found some very nice things about Carnival especially $$$. The food is a bit better than HAL, Staff is just as friendly,eager to please , and attitude in general is much better than HAL at the senior staff level, ie the Capt , Guest Rel,Hotel Dir, etc. are very friendly at special functions , reception lines, remember your name for months,etc.

Only really bad thing is the entertainment. It is geared to target a younger easier to satisfy crowd but the eye candy around the hot tubs is better.

SO I have done about 15 5day cruises on the FASCINATION and enjoyed them all.

I still enjoy the longer trips on HAL and hope to join the CAPT CLUB in a few years when eligible .

DO I owe either of them "LOYALTY" NO I paid for all of my cruises and will continue to cruise where I am happiest and that I got my money's worth.

SEA YA

I cheated on Carnival...and I liked it!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise. What you said is actually very typical of people who finally branch out and try other lines. I used to sail Royal Caribbean exclusively, but then I tried a Celebrity cruise....then Holland America....then Princess (NCL is also in there, but they sucked). Now, I'm open to almost any cruise line and believe it or not, I love it. What I enjoy most is avoiding the sameness of always being on the same line.

Although loyalty perks are nice, I have found that being new to a line and enjoying it as a first timer is so much better than getting caught up in the loyalty programs of your most traveled line.

Edited by Aquahound

Thanks for your review. We have cruised 4 times so far. Twice Carnival, Once MSC, and once HAL. In October, we will be going on our first Royal Caribbean cruise. Clearly we haven't any loyalty yet, but rather enjoy all the similarities and differences of all the lines.

Keep cruising, and keep enjoying... I know we will.

:)