Question about balcony cabins

Ladysilver

We are considering a cruise on Caribbean Princess out of Houston. We want a balcony cabin but I noticed those rooms don't have a sofa. Only a chair that doesn't look too comfortable. So do you have to sit on the bed to watch the TV?

I also noticed we would need to book a mini-suite to have a sofa but we don't want to do that. I've just never seen a balcony room without a nice comfortable place to sit and relax.

It might sound crazy but this is enough to make me re-think booking with Princess. We aren't spring chickens. Truth be told, we're old and we need a sofa or at least a love seat. Am I asking too much? :confused:

Balcony cabins on the Pacific and Ocean have love seats, if they aren't adjoining cabins, but these ships weren't built by Princess. The new Royal and Regal have a Deluxe Balcony category that has added a love seat but that is all I know of. That won't help you for your cruise.

Edited by IECalCruiser

...I also noticed we would need to book a mini-suite to have a sofa but we don't want to do that. I've just never seen a balcony room without a nice comfortable place to sit and relax...

It appears from your signature that you are new to Princess. The term mini-suite on Princess is misleading, IMO. They do not have the same privileges as a "full" suite. I consider them large or deluxe balcony cabins, having sofas and larger baths than standard balcony cabins. It sounds as though a "mini" might be the best option for you.

Balcony cabins on the Pacific and Ocean have love seats, if they aren't adjoining cabins, but these ships weren't built by Princess. The new Royal and Regal have a Deluxe Balcony category that has added a love seat but that is all I know of. That won't help you for your cruise.

Yet another reason I love, and miss, PP so much.

The Tahitian Princess (now Ocean Princess) was the only balcony that ever had a sofa. But we have enjoyed our balcony's on the other ships. The only time we use the TV it at bed time.

Not so sorry Pcific did too.

We are considering a cruise on Caribbean Princess out of Houston. We want a balcony cabin but I noticed those rooms don't have a sofa. Only a chair that doesn't look too comfortable. So do you have to sit on the bed to watch the TV? Balcony category cabins on the Caribbean Princess, Cats. B1 through BF, do not have sofas. You have to sit in a small barrel chair, desk chair, or on the bed to watch TV. On the other hand there is lots of storage in the cabin, most balconies are 9'x5' with 9'x9' balconies on the Caribe deck, deck 10. The Caribbean Princess also has lots of lounges and live entertainment in the evening. We have never found it necessary to spend more than a passing amount of time watching TV.

I also noticed we would need to book a mini-suite to have a sofa but we don't want to do that. I've just never seen a balcony room without a nice comfortable place to sit and relax.

This is the way it is on all active Princess built ships from the Sun Princess in 1995 to the Ruby Princess in 2008. The new Royal & Regal Princess have Deluxe Balcony Cabins with a small love seat.

:confused:

See Above.

We are considering a cruise on Caribbean Princess out of Houston. We want a balcony cabin but I noticed those rooms don't have a sofa. Only a chair that doesn't look too comfortable. So do you have to sit on the bed to watch the TV?

It might sound crazy but this is enough to make me re-think booking with Princess. We aren't spring chickens. Truth be told, we're old and we need a sofa or at least a love seat. Am I asking too much? :confused:

As noted above, if you want the sofa the you would need the mini.

The majority of regular cabins on Princess are the same, inside/OV/balcony.

On the Royal/Regal the Premium balcony cabins have the sofa.

So yes you would need to sit on the bed or the chair to watch TV.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Not so sorry Pcific did too.

I was talking about my experience. So I am wright. Pacific does I understand but was speaking about the cabins I had. Don't read something that is not there. I was never on the Pacific.

Edited by AZbeachboy

I agree with everything you said. Princess really should plan its cabins to include a sofa, and it's not up to anyone else to say how much time you should spend relaxing or watching TV. I personally don't watch much TV, but still feel like a sofa is important.

As another poster mentioned, Princess does have some other plusses to consider before deciding it's just not for you. The wardrobe, dressing and storage area is bigger than most lines. Your cabin is ready when you board, even if you board at noon or earlier. The liquor prices are much friendlier than most lines. And the Caribe balconies are huge.

In the end, we mostly book mini-suites now. They are often not that much more expensive than the balconies (depends on the cruise) and give us the sitting area, bigger-than-most balcony and a bigger bathroom.

Jim

Don't let the term Mini-suite scare you off.

It's just a enhanced balcony with almost none of the suite benefits.

Has a sofa and 2 TV's since you are concerned about tv watching :confused:.

Often , watch the Sales especially closer in Sales , the $$ difference between a balcony and a Mini-suite Guarantee is not great .

In a balcony, you can bring one of the chairs in for an extra seat, but that is even more uncomfortable than the one in the cabin already. :eek: When Princess had 4 comfortable chairs for their Caribe deck balconies, we would bring one in for the duration of the cruise. Now we book minis so both can sit comfortably.

Also keep in mind that the mini-suites only have a shower-over-tub, no walk-in shower.

For some of us "older" folks, climbing over the side of a tub on a moving ship can be a major problem. I'd really like to have a sofa with my balcony, but need the walk-in shower (yes, I know it's tiny) more.

Thanks everyone for your answers, opinions, and advice. I will look into the mini suite. :)

For MCC Retired.......My husband had a stroke a year ago and does watch more TV than I do, but I was mostly concerned about our general comfort. Personally, I don't find the idea of sitting in one of those hard chairs appealing at all. :p

Thanks everyone for your answers, opinions, and advice. I will look into the mini suite. :)

:p

No one but you can judge your finances, but if a mini is within your means, it's a great solution, and I'll bet you'd be happy with it. Extra space is so nice.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

Also keep in mind that the mini-suites only have a shower-over-tub, no walk-in shower.

For some of us "older" folks, climbing over the side of a tub on a moving ship can be a major problem. I'd really like to have a sofa with my balcony, but need the walk-in shower (yes, I know it's tiny) more.

Good point! I have an older relative that has to book insides on HAL for just that reason. Their OVs and higher have tubs on many of their ships. On Princess you can have a balcony cabin and still get a shower!

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

Till you asked I never realized there was not a sofa in the balcony cabin as many times as we have sailed Princess The cabins on Carnival with sofa -face away from the TV and we used them for clothes never for watching TV We always use the bed.

We just got off Ruby Princess and coming over from RCI, that was a shock to us as well. I would say book a mini-suite if you're going to go on Princess. Also on the balconies they only have a shower curtain in the shower vs. the doors that are on RCI. The shower curtain makes it much easier IMO to get water all over the floor.