Travel Insurance & Travel Documents

2dogs4us

Our TA told us today that she cannot release our travel documents (???) until we either deny or purchase travel insurance. This makes no sense to me. Can anyone enlighten me?

I don't think the travel insurance is worth the extra $500, but we aren't sure at this point. Our cruise is three months away. I just don't get why our "travel documents" can't be released to us until we either purchase the insurance or decline it.

Also, can you buy travel insurance elsewhere?

:cool:

Question 1.

Because it's either her policy or the company's policy.

In today's litigious society, people have had bad things happen that could have been covered by travel insurance when they didn't have insurance and they lost big money. Then they turn around and sue the travel agent or travel provider claiming that the TA never told them about insurance.

Your TA is protecting themselves from such actions.

They don't really care if you buy insurance or not. They just want you to acknowledge that you were offered the opportunity to purchase insurance and that you have declined in writing.

In the same way you cannot complete your Alaska airlines ticket purchase on line until you check the box indicating that you are knowingly declining insurance.

Question 2.

Yes you can

Edited by klfrodo

Question 1.

Because it's either her policy or the company's policy.

In today's litigious society, people have had bad things happen that could have been covered by travel insurance when they didn't have insurance and they lost big money. Then they turn around and sue the travel agent or travel provider claiming that the TA never told them about insurance.

Your TA is protecting themselves from such actions.

They don't really care if you buy insurance or not. They just want you to acknowledge that you were offered the opportunity to purchase insurance and that you have declined in writing.

In the same way you cannot complete your Alaska airlines ticket purchase on line until you check the box indicating that you are knowingly declining insurance.

Question 2.

Yes you can

OP:

TA is rightfully protecting him/herself.

Check out the cost of a Travelex Select Traveler policy (call them direct or via an insurance broker like InsureMyTrip). Use it as a standard for comparison (both cost and specifics of coverage).

BTW, medevac can easily cost more than $50k. Do you have that kind of cash on hand?

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

We use the Travel Insurance Store...call Steve..we get all our travel insurance with him at his company...very popular with many of us here on Cruise Critic.

(888) 407-3854

Are you sure that isn't The Trip Insurance Store?

The guideline that I've read is one shouldn't pay more than 10% of the insured costs (non-reimbursable fare) unless there are special circumstances. We've always managed to find comprehensive coverage for around 7% of the insured costs through insuremytrip.com.

Thanks for the helpful responses! I knew there would be somewhere else to get trip insurance if we decide we need it. KLFrodo, sorry if I hit a nerve (seems like I did). And we have insurance that covers airlifting and medical costs if something happens during the cruise, so we are good there. I simply had read an article that said that TA's typically sell the insurance that pays the best commission, not the insurance that's best for the traveler. Just wanting to make a smart decision.

I appreciate all the positive, helpful responses!

Thanks for the helpful responses! I knew there would be somewhere else to get trip insurance if we decide we need it. KLFrodo, sorry if I hit a nerve (seems like I did). And we have insurance that covers airlifting and medical costs if something happens during the cruise, so we are good there. I simply had read an article that said that TA's typically sell the insurance that pays the best commission, not the insurance that's best for the traveler. Just wanting to make a smart decision.

I appreciate all the positive, helpful responses!

I had to go back and see what he said. I thought his response was helpful to you and others that might have your question.

I have never bought travel insurance before ... however, for my next cruise in Feb I'm thinking about it ... however, I will be paying IN FULL for the cruise with carnival gift cards, which I recently read in another thread is not considered a "valid" payment method as far as insurance is concerned ... makes no sense to me at all - but does anyone have any experience purchasing travel insurance when you have paid for the cruise with carnival gift cards?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

I buy our travel insurance online from insuremytrip.com. That way I can pick the policy that has the most bang for the buck as it relates to our needs. This process does not take me long - usually less than 30 minutes.

I had to go back and see what he said. I thought his response was helpful to you and others that might have your question.

Agree, Notentirelynormal! Everyone's response was helpful. As I said, I simply thought I had struck a nerve - I was wondering if my original question came across as disparaging of TA's and I thought maybe that individual was a TA. Just trying to be cognizant of how I MYSELF may have come across. :)

I have never bought travel insurance before ... however, for my next cruise in Feb I'm thinking about it ... however, I will be paying IN FULL for the cruise with carnival gift cards, which I recently read in another thread is not considered a "valid" payment method as far as insurance is concerned ... makes no sense to me at all - but does anyone have any experience purchasing travel insurance when you have paid for the cruise with carnival gift cards?

Thanks!

Jeff aka Recovery Dude

While I have not paid for a cruise in gift cards, keep in mind that insurance reimburses only for actual financial loss. Financial loss can be incurred by trip cancellation, trip interruption, medical costs, and other categories you will find described in great detail in the policy. My speculation would be that if you can prove that you yourself paid for the gift cards and later cancelled the cruise, you MIGHT have a valid claim for financial loss.

However, the only way to KNOW would be to call a travel insurance provider. Give a call to the folks at insuremytrip.com (800 # is on the home page) and ask the relevant questions to the professionals.

Just a reminder for those who are considering travel insurance, which I always purchase if leaving the country, in order to have pre-existing conditions covered, you normally have to purchase insurance within a set number of days from making the initial deposit. Pre-existing conditions usually apply to both the passengers and often to non-traveling family members. This means if you have to cancel a cruise because a parent gets sick and the illness is due to a condition that they had when the trip was booked, it may not be a covered reason. It really pays to read the policy thoroughly to know what is covered and what is excluded. I always compare what my TA quotes to what I can find on Insuremytrip.com. Sometimes the TAs policy is cheaper, sometimes not.

Another consideration is whether you want to have coverage that includes pre-departure cancellation or not. It is possible to just get coverage for trip disruption, lost luggage, medical and similar but not for any cancellation of the cruise by the passenger. Far less expensive because you are "self-insuring" the cruise costs. Far less coverages.

Best thing to ask yourself is "what financial risks do I want to have covered?" Make your own risk assessment and determine if the wager is worth it. And yes, I use the term wager deliberately because you are making a wager with the insurance company and believing that you are getting reasonable odds back.

Yes, this can get a bit wonky. Know that all policies are NOT alike and that you need to read the fine print to be sure of what is, and more importantly, what is not covered.

Final thought.....purchasing trip insurance will NOT guarantee that you will make your cruise. It only is protection against FINANCIAL losses through reimbursement of ACTUAL expenditures.