Passport due to expire

BobKat406

For those seasoned cruisers who may have run into this issue....

We are cruising in October to Bermuda. Our passports expire in January of 2016. It is recommended that you do not cruise with a passport that expires within 6 months of your return date. We are US citizens and will have our driver's licenses with us.

Has anyone had any issues with this??? I really don't want to send my passport in for renewal now and not even get it back before we cruise (on 39 days away).

We sailed out of Bayonne in July to Bermuda and the Caribbean. When checking in the agent told our daughter-in-law that her passport was due to expire in November and she should have renewed it. It didn't stop her from getting aboard, but be prepared with backup documents...just in case.

We sailed out of Bayonne in July to Bermuda and the Caribbean. When checking in the agent told our daughter-in-law that her passport was due to expire in November and she should have renewed it. It didn't stop her from getting aboard, but be prepared with backup documents...just in case.

Agents are trained to say stuff like that, I never take it to heart (I've been told several times by CBP officers that we should get passports in the first place and I just smile and thank them for the advice.)

We had the same situation last year. My DS' passport was set to expire in the beginning of February, but we were cruising the Caribbean at the end of October. Since he was turning 16 in February we wanted to hold off until his birthday to renew since you get 10 years until expiration instead of 5 once you turn 16. We didn't have any problems on the cruise, and we did the renewal on his birthday and had it back in less than 3 weeks with no expediting.

If you are a U.S. citizen, you don't need a passport to sail from a U.S. port to Bermuda and back to the same U.S. port. You can cruise with birth certificate and government issued photo ID...... drivers license. You said you are bringing your drivers license but bring your birth certificates, also, if you wish.

Edited by sail7seas

You do not need back up documents if you have a passport that is good on the day you return to the US from a closed loop cruise.

You do not need back up documents if you have a passport that is good on the day you return to the US from a closed loop cruise.

If the cruise includes destinations that require a passport then the cruise line might state that a passport has to have 6 months validity on the day you return. It's worth checking with the cruise line to see if that is the case...

VP

If the cruise includes destinations that require a passport then the cruise line might state that a passport has to have 6 months validity on the day you return. It's worth checking with the cruise line to see if that is the case...

VP

This is true but Bermuda does not require it and AFAIK no country in the Caribbean that may be reached on a closed loop cruise requires it either. If you call the cruise line you'll get their canned recommendation that passports should be valid for 6 months after the trip. (I asked one cruise line rep how I entered my enhanced drivers license into the pre-checkin database since there was no place for that info. Her response "check the box for birth certificate because you need to bring that too", which is obviously wrong. I no longer rely on the cruise line reps for this info:).)

(It is also worth noting that some cruise lines may have this requirement themselves over and above government rules, many upscale cruise lines require all passengers to have passports on all itineraries and they may also impose the 6 month rule.)

Thanks for all the feedback.

Just to note... cruise docs do NOT state that you must have a passport with less than 6 mos it states....

For your safety, it is recommended....

I'm assuming they can't deny a valid passport that will not expire until well after the cruise (even though less than 6 mos), but wanted to see if anyone had issues. Sounds like it depends on what agents you come across. I would prefer not to bring birth certs/marriage licenses etc. if I don't have to (just one more thing to worry about getting lost/damaged etc.). We are only 30 minutes from the port so if we have to run home to get them we will.

VP

Just stop!!!!!

Its a closed loop cruise out of the US, you don't need a passport EVER.

Sure you can make up all kinds of scenarios but none of them apply in this situation.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Just to note... cruise docs do NOT state that you must have a passport with less than 6 mos it states....

For your safety, it is recommended....

I'm assuming they can't deny a valid passport that will not expire until well after the cruise (even though less than 6 mos), but wanted to see if anyone had issues. Sounds like it depends on what agents you come across. I would prefer not to bring birth certs/marriage licenses etc. if I don't have to (just one more thing to worry about getting lost/damaged etc.). We are only 30 minutes from the port so if we have to run home to get them we will.

You are not spending time in any of the countries you are visiting. You are considered in transit and DO NOT even need a passport to visit any of them. As long as the passport doesn't expire before you return home you have nothing to worry about.

NO agent is going to deny you boarding, they may point out in a friendly fashion that you need to renew so that you still have a valid PP the next tiem youa re going to cruise but it WILL NOT be an issue.

Just stop!!!!!

Its a closed loop cruise out of the US, you don't need a passport EVER.

Sure you can make up all kinds of scenarios but none of them apply in this situation.

It was mentioned already, but it bears repeating. While government regulations may not require a passport for certain itineraries, and the mass market cruise lines generally follow suit, it's absolutely incorrect to say "you don't need a passport EVER".

In fact it's fairly common for luxury cruise lines require all passengers to have a passport with six months remaining validity, even if government regulations do not require passports.