No Tracey Arm

gooch47

Lots of people have stomach pain for a variety of reasons (many of them mundane) but few cases turn out to be appendicitis. But when it does, it can go bad in a hurry. If the appendix isn't removed promptly, it can become life threatening. The tough deal definitely wasn't for you or the other passengers.

That did occur about 5-6 weeks ago on the Ruby and a lady did have an emergency appendectomy on-board. I was talking to her on the pier when the ship returned and she mentioned it to me that she had to have an appendectomy. Heck of a thing to have happen to you on a cruise!! :eek:

Tom

No, they don't "add" to your next port stop. You wouldn't be in Juneau for two days instead. The port that has to be skipped, for whatever reason, becomes a sea day. They can't just spontaneously show up in ports - those things are planned months, if not a year, in advance - and ports cost money in port fees, taxes, charges for security and customs, etc....If you miss a port, that's why you get refunded port fees. But they don't add ports - otherwise, you would be charged extra port fees!

Sometimes they do. We were on the Star Princess in 2002 and had to miss Monterey because it was too rough to run the tenders. The Captain (or perhaps corporate) arranged for us to dock in San Francisco earlier and spend the night there.

I hope the young man who fell ill makes a full recovery.

Currently on the Ruby. Yes, we missed Tracey Arm and we also were signed up for the small craft excursion. Disappointed, yes. So as soon as I had cell coverage going into Juneau I did a Google search for Tracey Arm excursions and came up with the company that Princess uses for their excursion. Called and left a message to call me (it was just a little after 7 am). Got a call back about 8 am, found out that there was an excursion leaving at 10:30 am and back at 5:30 pm and they had 4 seats available. Great, booked it and gave my cc number. Great excursion, saw whales on the way out, saw the glaciers up close and personal and saw a few more whales on the way back. Highly recommend Allen Excursions if you are ever in Juneau.
I'm glad you got to do the excursion. I've decided to do the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm the next time we take a cruise that goes there.

As for missed ports, we had an overnight in Nassau on a Carnival cruise that skipped going to Freeport due to high winds. On our Princess cruises, we've been refunded just the port fees for missing Princess Cays on a couple of cruises. On our Grand Princess cruise a dozen years ago, the ship got to St. Thomas late due to a mechanical problem and an emergency medical evacuation off the coast of Jamaica. The captain gave all the passengers a generous amount of onboard credit for being late.

Why? I have sailed with princess several times and this is a first! Why would they care if you have insurance? It is to protect you, not them??

It's a UK thing. And it's not just Princess. When we were looking at a P&O cruise we were going to have to have work provide evidence that we were covered to get a waiver.

Sometimes they do. We were on the Star Princess in 2002 and had to miss Monterey because it was too rough to run the tenders. The Captain (or perhaps corporate) arranged for us to dock in San Francisco earlier and spend the night there.

I hope the young man who fell ill makes a full recovery.

That certainly was a cheap night in The City - for the pax anyway, lodging and meals. Of course I'd have no idea what it cost the company.

Edited by Treven

No, they don't "add" to your next port stop. You wouldn't be in Juneau for two days instead. The port that has to be skipped, for whatever reason, becomes a sea day. They can't just spontaneously show up in ports.

They can make other arrangements if:

o Another port is within reasonable distance

o Docking or anchoring space is available

o Shore excursions can be arranged

For an example, we had one TA cruise that had to skip St. John's but was able to go to Halifax instead the following day.

That did occur about 5-6 weeks ago on the Ruby and a lady did have an emergency appendectomy on-board. I was talking to her on the pier when the ship returned and she mentioned it to me that she had to have an appendectomy. Heck of a thing to have happen to you on a cruise!! :eek:

Tom

That would be highly unlikely. Most shipboard medical centres are not equipped to do any kind of emergency surgery. The majority of docs are not surgeons. Hence the need for medivaccing

Terry

That would be highly unlikely. Most shipboard medical centres are not equipped to do any kind of emergency surgery. The majority of docs are not surgeons. Hence the need for medivaccing

Terry

May be the case, but she was walking very slowly and I'd think she would know whether she had an appendectomy or not. Perhaps it was a situation where it was operate or else.

Tom

Terry

When we did a UST, the doctor said he could do an appendectomy if necessary, but preferred it be handled on land if at all possible.

Agree re the surgery. We did a behind the scenes tour of Queen Mary 2 and the Hospital Dr said they would not do surgery - specifically mentioned appendicitis - onboard. Instead they dose up with intensive antibiotics and offload asap.

And if in the unlikely event it was done, they would be kept in hospital and offloaded at the next port. Not walking around.

Actually reading that post again, sounds like she had it in port as the poster mentioned talking to her at the pier. (Sorry on tapatalk and cant scroll up to see the poster's name).

Edited by Pushka

For the past 5 or so years now I've always gotten a temp policy from MedJet Assist for medical evacuation. It kicks in when I'm at least (I believe) 50 miles from home and admitted to a local hospital. So this policy would fly me to a hospital of my choice, at home.

So far the money spent on that has been the worst expense of paying for a cruise, in that I've never had to use that - knock on wood.

While MedJet Assist is a valuable addition to travel insurance, we don't solely rely on it. Of course, every person's situation is different, but our most probable medical emergency is a detached retina for me. While it is an emergency, it is not one that requires hospitalization, and MJA would do nothing to transport me to care of my choosing. With more and more issues being treated outpatient these days, the value of MJA in every emergency is diminished.

While MedJet Assist is a valuable addition to travel insurance, we don't solely rely on it. Of course, every person's situation is different, but our most probable medical emergency is a detached retina for me. While it is an emergency, it is not one that requires hospitalization, and MJA would do nothing to transport me to care of my choosing. With more and more issues being treated outpatient these days, the value of MJA in every emergency is diminished.

Oh I wholly agree; I didn't intend my comment to read my policy with MedJet Assist to be my only policy - I also have a regular policy for medical etc.

Yes, MJA does require you to be hospitalized. Guess they figure if you're seen on an out-patient basis, you aren't sick enough for them or it's not an emergency.

Edited by Treven

Actually reading that post again, sounds like she had it in port as the poster mentioned talking to her at the pier. (Sorry on tapatalk and cant scroll up to see the poster's name).

If you are referring to the post I made, the pier I was talking about was Pier 91 in Seattle. She had left Seattle on the previous Sunday and I was speaking to her after she disembarked from the ship. She was walking very slowly down the covered walk to a bus that was taking her to SeaTac airport. I had spoken to her and said that I hoped she had had a great cruise. She replied that if she never took another cruise again, it would be too soon. I was surprised and asked her what had happened. To that she replied that she had had an appendectomy while on the cruise. Maybe it was thought that it was about to rupture and there wa no time to lose, I don't know. Personally, I believe that she knew whether she had an appendectomy or not. Others may not feel that way.

Tom

Edited by Pierlesscruisers

Were you on the small boat (about 30 passengers) with the female captain? We were on it last week. I just posted a review of our cruise with a couple of pictures taken in Tracey Arm. At one point we saw more than 100 whales. (in the distance)

If you are referring to the post I made, the pier I was talking about was Pier 91 in Seattle. She had left Seattle on the previous Sunday and I was speaking to her after she disembarked from the ship. She was walking very slowly down the covered walk to a bus that was taking her to SeaTac airport. I had spoken to her and said that I hoped she had had a great cruise. She replied that if she never took another cruise again, it would be too soon. I was surprised and asked her what had happened. To that she replied that she had had an appendectomy while on the cruise. Maybe it was thought that it was about to rupture and there wa no time to lose, I don't know. Personally, I believe that she knew whether she had an appendectomy or not. Others may not feel that way.

Tom

Yes. Ok I understand the 'meeting' now. I wonder if she meant she had appendicitis onboard and which doesn't necessarily result in surgery. Rather than an appendectomy, maybe got her words mixed up.

On my Alaska cruise the evening out of Victoria (at the end of the itinerary) an older gentleman had a heart attack and fell in his shower. The next morning we diverted to Coos Bay OR and he & wife were transferred to a Coast Guard cutter, and the ship continued on to San Francisco.

On our westbound TA on the Crown in Dec 2012, a man had a heart attack in the Michelangelo MDR during dinner. They called the code over the PA system, shut all the doors to the mid-ship stairwell on Deck 5 and curtained off his table area while they did CPR. Sadly, it didn't work and he died. The Passenger Relations Director and his Assistant were just finishing up all the the paperwork at midnight when they came into the IC to finally grab a bite to eat. Later on in that same cruise, the ship had to make an emergency med evac for another passenger between Florida and Texas.

On the circumnavigation of Australia, on QM2 it is reported that around 12 deaths occur. We were shown the morgue on the ship tour - four separate spaces.

That alternative Tracey Arm tour looks wonderful and might look into it.

Edited by Pushka

No, they don't "add" to your next port stop. You wouldn't be in Juneau for two days instead. The port that has to be skipped, for whatever reason, becomes a sea day. They can't just spontaneously show up in ports - those things are planned months, if not a year, in advance - and ports cost money in port fees, taxes, charges for security and customs, etc....If you miss a port, that's why you get refunded port fees. But they don't add ports - otherwise, you would be charged extra port fees!

This isn't always the case. We spent the day in Dublin, Ireland and were supposed to go to Belfast, N. Ireland the next day. During the evening in Dublin, a storm hit the Irish Sea and we couldn't leave. We spent the night in the Dublin port and the next day in Dublin. Didn't get to go to Belfast, but a second day in Dublin was very nice. :)

On the circumnavigation of Australia, on QM2 it is reported that around 12 deaths occur. We were shown the morgue on the ship tour - four separate spaces.

That alternative Tracey Arm tour looks wonderful and might look into it.

I really liked Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer Glacier. The granite walls are quite impressive.

Yes. Ok I understand the 'meeting' now. I wonder if she meant she had appendicitis onboard and which doesn't necessarily result in surgery. Rather than an appendectomy, maybe got her words mixed up.

I have no idea. Neither do I have any idea as to why so much is being made of this whole thing. Let's let it drop.

Tom

I wish we had tried harder to replace the

Tracey Arm tour. We did end up going whale watching which was nice, but no where near as exotic.

We didn't have good luck with tours on this visit. We walked all the way down the pier at Skagway to meet our nature excursion to Haines only to find out that we were the only ones signed up for it so it had been canceled. That was OK though. It was so cold, windy and rainy that we would have froze.

I wish we had tried harder to replace the

Tracey Arm tour. We did end up going whale watching which was nice, but no where near as exotic.

We didn't have good luck with tours on this visit. We walked all the way down the pier at Skagway to meet our nature excursion to Haines only to find out that we were the only ones signed up for it so it had been canceled. That was OK though. It was so cold, windy and rainy that we would have froze.

That was too bad. I did a photo excursion in Haines and it was very picturesque.

http://HTTPS://treven.smugmug.com/Haines-AK