Do we need to upgrade from classic package?

gordylad

To get the best selections from the martini bar?

Thanks

Yes, Martini bar only has 4 options priced at Classic prices, lemon drop, dirty martini, cosmo and appletini if memory serves. They are slightly smaller than the other martini's served as well, and made with "well" brands of liquor.

You can get normal drinks under classic there (such as gin and tonic for example), but all on the menu are priced at Premium package prices, which with classic, you can not just pay the overage, you pay for full drink.

Edited by cle-guy

I think that it is worth it to upgrade and then you don't have to worry about what you can and can't have. Of course, there will be items above what your premium limit is but there will be many, many choices. This is IMO if you are getting the classic included and then you will pay the additional to premium. If no package, I would just go drink to drink the first few days to see if it would be worth it. In my case, I didn't get a drink package, I just bought the premium from the get go and just couldn't make it worth my while.

Yes and no. I upgrade for the wine. You can only get Pinot Noir and Sauvignon Blanc on the premium pkg. DH on the other hand is ok with the classic wines. After going through a significant portion of the menu at the Martini Bar I am happiest with the Small Appletini (you can just have 2 if you want a larger one.). I would spend the first day or two touring the bars and trying what drinks are on the Classic Pkg and then deciding if you need to upgrade.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, yes, yes!

If you accident.y buy a drink not on your plan they charge you the price of the drink, not an adjusted price. So one slip up per couple per day could run you $24+ vs $20 per couple to upgrade & not have to worry about it. Drink, order what you want or have to worry about it. We'd rather upgrade & forget about it.

Are any of the standard frozen drinks (like margarita, pina colada) available with the classic?

PSCruiser, that is where the issue lies. Each bar has different pricing for drinks, so some bars the frozen drinks may be included in classic, others not becaipuse they cost too much. We upgraded because I don't want to have to always see a menu before ordering or remind DH everytime he buys a drink that he needs to see a menu.

Just easier to upgrade IMHO esp, if you got classic free. We upgraded prior to boarding as each day someone had to go to guest relations to get the premium sticker re-added to our sea pass. So the savings of $1.80 per person per day cost us more in time in line & missed vacation time.

PSCruiser, that is where the issue lies. Each bar has different pricing for drinks, so some bars the frozen drinks may be included in classic, others not becaipuse they cost too much. We upgraded because I don't want to have to always see a menu before ordering or remind DH everytime he buys a drink that he needs to see a menu.

Just easier to upgrade IMHO esp, if you got classic free. We upgraded prior to boarding as each day someone had to go to guest relations to get the premium sticker re-added to our sea pass. So the savings of $1.80 per person per day cost us more in time in line & missed vacation time.

Why did you have to go to guest relations every day? We upgrade when we board at one of the bars, they put a sticker on the card and we are good for the entire cruise. We have never had to go to guest relations to get a sticker every day.

each day someone had to go to guest relations to get the premium sticker re-added to our sea pass.

Why did you have to go to guest relations every day? We upgrade when we board at one of the bars, they put a sticker on the card and we are good for the entire cruise. We have never had to go to guest relations to get a sticker every day.

They must have really been wearing out their sea pass!:D or got it wet and the sticker came off.

We never had it happen to our card tho.

Still think it's a no brainer for just about anyone that has the classic package as part of a deal. Given the overall cost of a cruise including flights the upgrade cost of the drinks package is tiny and covered by one extra drink a day that's not in the classic package.

My card (with sticker) failed the first day. Needing a replacement card the guest services printed a new card with the PAL imprinted. No more sticker needed. The story above seems strange. The martini bar is a major reason why we upgrade.

Jelayne, because that stupid sticker just would not stay on. We asked guest relations to print us a new card & they told us because we upgraded in ship we'd have to get new stickers every morning. We had 3 days at sea and after the first day at sea the sticker was gone :(

Everyone in our group had the same issue on our cruise in April and there were 50 cabins we were sailing with. It was so frustrating that for our upcoming holiday one I've all ready upgraded.

PSCruiser, that is where the issue lies. Each bar has different pricing for drinks, so some bars the frozen drinks may be included in classic, others not becaipuse they cost too much. .

Wouldn't (shouldn't) the bartender tell you that this drink isn't covered when he sees your card with the Classic on it?:confused:

Just wait until u get on board and do the math......We stuck with the classic and was happy! We got it as part of the 1.2.3 Go promotion.....Why throw away $$$ if you dont have to

Exactly! All drinks are the same price on the ship. It's when they try to upsell folks into buying the drinks with the fancy glasses $11 vs $9.00 that the classic package doesn't cover it. Your pass should have "call" next to drink package. There was a mistake on our passes there was no drink package listed. Thank goodness I noticed right away. Went to Customer Relations she called Miami to fix it and printed new passes for our party of eight.

Unless you want the Martinis, or and top shelf over $9.00 then you will be very very happy with the classic. It even includes specialty coffee and glasses of wine at dinner

I actually think it's pretty silly that they still use stickers. They should be able to tell what package you have when they swipe your card. That would negate the need for stickers or new cards or anything like that. I just think it's funny that they rely on such an old way to do something when an easier solution can be easily programmed into a computer system.

To get the best selections from the martini bar?

Thanks

If you are serious about your martinis it's well worth an extra $10 a day to upgrade. You get a much wider choice of spirits and premium bottled water too if you want it. The list of inclusives for each here:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/media/celebrity/shared_assets/pdf/Classic-Premium-Bev-Pckgs.pdf

Phil

Wouldn't (shouldn't) the bartender tell you that this drink isn't covered when he sees your card with the Classic on it?:confused:

Mafig, the short answer to your question in no. Here is why. Under the packages the tips are pooled. So any theme the staff has the opportunity to make more tips & tips for themselves they do. We cruised with a group of 50 stateroom in April several in the group chose not to upgrade & still got charged for the more expensive drinks & no-one warned them.

The way I look at for $140 or $162.50 (if you pay before you go) that's a pretty cheap alcohol bill for 7 days (assuming you got classic free).

Versus having surprise at the end of the trip.

Mafig, the short answer to your question in no. Here is why. Under the packages the tips are pooled. So any theme the staff has the opportunity to make more tips & tips for themselves they do. We cruised with a group of 50 stateroom in April several in the group chose not to upgrade & still got charged for the more expensive drinks & no-one warned them.

Well, I don't think that's right. If we choose not to upgrade (I know DH won't ... he doesn't drink/like martinis), we have to re-iterate EVERY TIME we order a drink that it's covered under the classic package.?:confused::(

Well, I don't think that's right. If we choose not to upgrade (I know DH won't ... he doesn't drink/like martinis), we have to re-iterate EVERY TIME we order a drink that it's covered under the classic package.?:confused::(

On our recent British Isles cruise, I never said I had the classic pkg when I ordered my rum/coke, and had zero extra charges! The few times I did order something off the premium side....then I had to sign for it......