Princess knowledge of their own product

myfuzzy

Has anyone ever had to call or write Princess about any wrong or inconsistent information. Calls to agents who don't know or give you wrong or old information. On board staff who give you wrong information. Or any other information that caused you to go "Hmmm" Just inconsistency that put a "burr in your bed"

I just came across the term HUCA.....Hang Up Call Again.

I have had a problem with the BVE (Bon Voyage Experience) and have read boards with Dining and Spa experiences. Others?

Has anyone ever had to call or write Princess about any wrong or inconsistent information. Calls to agents who don't know or give you wrong or old information. On board staff who give you wrong information. Or any other information that caused you to go "Hmmm" Just inconsistency that put a "burr in your bed"

I just came across the term HUCA.....Hang Up Call Again.

I have had a problem with the BVE (Bon Voyage Experience) and have read boards with Dining and Spa experiences. Others?

Pretty much impossible with the high turnover at the call centers.

In some cases if there is an issue then management will give a script to customer service and that's the only answer you will get till management makes a final decision on which way to resolve the problem. As others have said turnover is high in call centers and training should be on going but probably is not.

Edited by waltd

I find that each ship does things a little differently so the answer to the same question might be different dependent on the ship you're on.

I used to work in a call center and most of the answers to questions are scripted so the agent can refer to the script when unsure of the answer. Depending on how the question is asked, a whole different script might be used based on how the agent understands the question.

Even with the issues, Princess' call center has been rated the best in the business...so it could be worse.

I've got a great TA but I don't expect even her to know all the answers. Best thing I ever learned back in college from my favorite professor was that I didn't have to know all the answers. just be smart enough to know where to look or who or when to ask for help finding it.

You need to understand that the folks who man the phones are reading from a script...they have a book with answers to your questions...it really depends on what they think you're asking, as to how they answer. 99% of those folks have NEVER cruised..let alone on Princess!

Since I found this board I know better than trust that one call will guarantee that I get the correct answer. I am a believer in the "best out of three" sentiment or "hang up call again"

But I don't think Princess is the only business where it is difficult to get reliable information just speaking to one person.

I think with less staffing at most places of business these days it is impossible for employees to get required training to know it all.

This kind of problem is not limited to Princess by any means. Most large corporations suffer from providing inconsistent information and/or policy enforcement. Many times calling back and getting another agent will yield a different response.

I've got a great TA but I don't expect even her to know all the answers. Best thing I ever learned back in college from my favorite professor was that I didn't have to know all the answers. just be smart enough to know where to look or who or when to ask for help finding it.

We must have had the same professor. It's the one thing I've never forgotten. :D

I may have been incredibly lucky, but I've been happy in my dealings with them on the phone. In about 10 to 15 calls over the past year or so, I've been surprised how helpful and competent most Princess phone workers are. I've never gotten two different stories (try that at your local cell phone store).

I keep assuming these people have never been aboard a Princess ship (because I've read that here so often), but I get bits of advice on cabin selection that make me think they do know their ships.

The only unthruths I've heard were when we've boarded and everyone there insists that the buffet is the only place to go for lunch. Some of them I've asked specifically which dining room is open, and they've feigned ignorance. "The Lido deck, sir. That's where lunch is."

Jim

Edited by jasbo49

WOW lots of feedback so far.

My initial reason for asking this question was last year I was able to book the Regal Princess BVE for the first sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. We normally sail out of Brooklyn and was familiar with the waiting area(s) of different functions taking place on board. I had seen wedding parties, other groups and the BVE set up in different places waiting for all to gather to be able to board. By speaking with others and reading these boards, I got a good sense of what I was to expect.

BUT...when getting to the port and asking Princess uniformed people where I should go, all I got was "wait over there" "that line" (the longest one) and I don't know. Now, Ft Lauderdale is one of the larger Princess home ports, with many different ships sailing each week. Now with this program now into its fourth year, you would think someone in or at the terminal would be familiar with this BVE process.

So, expecting to be seated in an area with 48 other BVE parties, with an identifying "sticker" didn't happen.

So after check in, receiving our envelope, started asking more unformed people, we were told to "sit there", by ourselves, watching people board and waiting and waiting, we were told to be there by 11, we got there at 10 and its now 11:30, I had to get aggressive and tell these people and wave the paperwork around to get their attention.

Finally..........someone "boarded" us and took us PAST the photo op (included with our BVE) and was radioing someone to come get us. We had JUST got off the Royal, so we knew what we were looking for and did not need a tour. Upon being passed off to a woman, who insisted we get the "tour" told her we did not need it and we would do fine by ourselves. By now its noon and want to go to the dining room for lunch...

But first...we have to get off the ship, go to the Photo area, get our photo taken and get back ON the ship.

We were quickly seated in a busy dining room, which for embarkation day was quite unusual, but good. Our waiter came over and we handed him the letter for the "free" glass of wine. Meanwhile we start chatting with our table mates. The waiter comes back, hands us the letter and tells us we must leave, this dining room is for "REAL" passengers. WHAT!! So we excuse ourselves from our table mates and leave....

We go to the other door on the other side of the dining room and find a gentleman wearing a white jacket, we tell him what just happened, showed the BVE letter, and he goes NO NO and takes us BACK to the first dining room and get reseated at another table.

Now, its pushing 1:00, we were told we had to debark by 2:30 and we hadn't even seen the areas of which we wanted.

We finally finished our lunch 1:45 and quickly went on our way. We found the finished photos in the photo display area, but ours were the only ones there. I wonder where the other 48 were. We just grabbed our photos, helped ourselves to a folder...no one was around and left the ship. Not one other BVE guest did we find.

So knowing this was not the way it worked. I came home and called Princess and was told I could NOT talk to the person at BVE, because I had already done it. HUH. I said connect me right now. I was and told her the above.

If I had never sailed Princess I would never sail again. AND if it wasn't for the information I received here, I would have thought that was the way it was.

And reading about people who were turned away from the MDR on embarkation day is another black mark towards Princess.

I do find these situations unacceptable and just wondered what other things they try or tried to do.

Basically, I guess, I am asking if by passing off the inconsistencies and lack of good communication, tolerating non answers.....by giving Princess our money....Are we doing ourselves justice by accepting a less than premium product

A few cruises ago, I did makes a couple of phone calls and don't think the CSRs really knew what's what. First, I had received the "shore excursions are available" email, but when I went on the website, got a shore excursions not available. I called and the CSR seemed asea (pun intended?). She suggested I keep checking the site "on a weekly basis." :rolleyes: I'm guessing that many other passengers were calling to complain because the next day someone on the roll call said they could finally book theirs.

The other thing I called them about was the holiday promotion mentioned in the latest Captain Circle's magazine at the time. Free photo, free champagne. So I called. CSR put me on hold and then came back and said no one knows what I'm talking about (even though I gave her the page numbers -- it was mentioned twice, and I did check for any disclaimers, such as new bookings only or whatever, and didn't find any).

She suggested I fax a copy, but as I didn't have a fax machine, I made a copy and a scan on my printer and mailed the first and emailed the second. After a few weeks, repeated the letter and email. Finally got a reply that it was a capacity controlled promo (which I know from careful eyeballing was not mentioned in the magazine) but they'll give me the items anyway.

Usually I don't have questions as I always, always read through the Princess website before every cruise. But I can see that many others can't find info if it bit them. So that's why they need to train their staff and have a regularly updated binder available. It's good customer service.

As someone mentioned there's undoubtedly a high turnover rate. If the call center is in Santa Clarita (someone here should know), they probably hire locals-- maybe recent high school grads from SC High, Hart High, W Ranch, etc., and I imagine it's not a requirement from job applicants to have ever been on a cruise.

A few cruises ago' date=' I did makes a couple of phone calls and don't think the CSRs really knew what's what. First, I had received the "shore excursions are available" email, but when I went on the website, got a shore excursions not available. I called and the CSR seemed asea (pun intended?). She suggested I keep checking the site "on a weekly basis." :rolleyes: I'm guessing that many other passengers were calling to complain because the next day someone on the roll call said they could finally book theirs.

The other thing I called them about was the holiday promotion mentioned in the latest Captain Circle's magazine at the time. Free photo, free champagne. So I called. CSR put me on hold and then came back and said no one knows what I'm talking about (even though I gave her the page numbers -- it was mentioned twice, and I did check for any disclaimers, such as new bookings only or whatever, and didn't find any).

She suggested I fax a copy, but as I didn't have a fax machine, I made a copy and a scan on my printer and mailed the first and emailed the second. After a few weeks, repeated the letter and email. Finally got a reply that it was a capacity controlled promo (which I know from careful eyeballing was not mentioned in the magazine) but they'll give me the items anyway.

Usually I don't have questions as I always, always read through the Princess website before every cruise. But I can see that many others can't find info if it bit them. So that's why they need to train their staff and have a regularly updated binder available. It's good customer service.

As someone mentioned there's undoubtedly a high turnover rate. If the call center is in Santa Clarita (someone here should know), they probably hire locals-- maybe recent high school grads from SC High, Hart High, W Ranch, etc., and I imagine it's not a requirement from job applicants to have ever been on a cruise.[/quote']

Thank You!! This is exactly what I mean....they have a promotion, but I found out the have many multiples of promotions going on at all times. So if you receive a promotion, either email or snail mail, its up to YOU to do the leg work to get the price or perks offered to YOU....I think its a shame you had to fight for the promotion offered to you

I guess I've been very lucky in my phone dealings with a CSR. Once I asked if a particular cabin was covered or open and, bless her, she even looked up the schematics for the ship and learned it was covered! Other times we've talked about cruising in general and shared experiences. One agent even went so far as to give me tips on where to eat and about what excursions are great and one that was not so great. Only one time was I given an obviously rote answer.

WOW lots of feedback so far.

My initial reason for asking this question was last year I was able to book the Regal Princess BVE for the first sailing out of Ft Lauderdale. We normally sail out of Brooklyn and was familiar with the waiting area(s) of different functions taking place on board. I had seen wedding parties, other groups and the BVE set up in different places waiting for all to gather to be able to board. By speaking with others and reading these boards, I got a good sense of what I was to expect.

BUT...when getting to the port and asking Princess uniformed people where I should go, all I got was "wait over there" "that line" (the longest one) and I don't know. Now, Ft Lauderdale is one of the larger Princess home ports, with many different ships sailing each week. Now with this program now into its fourth year, you would think someone in or at the terminal would be familiar with this BVE process.

So, expecting to be seated in an area with 48 other BVE parties, with an identifying "sticker" didn't happen.

So after check in, receiving our envelope, started asking more unformed people, we were told to "sit there", by ourselves, watching people board and waiting and waiting, we were told to be there by 11, we got there at 10 and its now 11:30, I had to get aggressive and tell these people and wave the paperwork around to get their attention.

Finally..........someone "boarded" us and took us PAST the photo op (included with our BVE) and was radioing someone to come get us. We had JUST got off the Royal, so we knew what we were looking for and did not need a tour. Upon being passed off to a woman, who insisted we get the "tour" told her we did not need it and we would do fine by ourselves. By now its noon and want to go to the dining room for lunch...

But first...we have to get off the ship, go to the Photo area, get our photo taken and get back ON the ship.

We were quickly seated in a busy dining room, which for embarkation day was quite unusual, but good. Our waiter came over and we handed him the letter for the "free" glass of wine. Meanwhile we start chatting with our table mates. The waiter comes back, hands us the letter and tells us we must leave, this dining room is for "REAL" passengers. WHAT!! So we excuse ourselves from our table mates and leave....

We go to the other door on the other side of the dining room and find a gentleman wearing a white jacket, we tell him what just happened, showed the BVE letter, and he goes NO NO and takes us BACK to the first dining room and get reseated at another table.

Now, its pushing 1:00, we were told we had to debark by 2:30 and we hadn't even seen the areas of which we wanted.

We finally finished our lunch 1:45 and quickly went on our way. We found the finished photos in the photo display area, but ours were the only ones there. I wonder where the other 48 were. We just grabbed our photos, helped ourselves to a folder...no one was around and left the ship. Not one other BVE guest did we find.

So knowing this was not the way it worked. I came home and called Princess and was told I could NOT talk to the person at BVE, because I had already done it. HUH. I said connect me right now. I was and told her the above.

If I had never sailed Princess I would never sail again. AND if it wasn't for the information I received here, I would have thought that was the way it was.

And reading about people who were turned away from the MDR on embarkation day is another black mark towards Princess.

I do find these situations unacceptable and just wondered what other things they try or tried to do.

Basically, I guess, I am asking if by passing off the inconsistencies and lack of good communication, tolerating non answers.....by giving Princess our money....Are we doing ourselves justice by accepting a less than premium product

When I read this, I'm thinking wow this is unbelievable but knowing Princess like I do, I totally believe it. I have always said, the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. That's why I brings every piece of paperwork, every email etc when I step on a Princess ship.

I've always been reluctant to do one of those BVE's because of what you just described. Princess never seems organized enough to pull those off yet I know some people do them frequently.

In some cases if there is an issue then management will give a script to customer service and that's the only answer you will get till management makes a final decision on which way to resolve the problem. As others have said turnover is high in call centers and training should be on going but probably is not.

You need to understand that the folks who man the phones are reading from a script...they have a book with answers to your questions...it really depends on what they think you're asking, as to how they answer. 99% of those folks have NEVER cruised..let alone on Princess!

This sums up my experiences & thoughts about the inconsistent answers we receive from Princess reps. But I've also read posts with incorrect info passengers have received from their travel agent.

If there's any company where customer service is perfect, I haven't found one yet. Thus misinformation is not limited to Princess, other cruise lines or any other business. Guess I've been lucky & have received great service & accurate info when calling Princess.

What I don't understand is the inconsistent application of Princess stated policies & procedures by onboard staff. :( Many of us have probably experienced such inconsistency & an example is a current thread discussing the inconsistent application of the Princess statement inviting us to the embarkation day MDR lunch. Sometimes passengers are cheerfully welcomed as guests, sometimes passengers are begrudgingly admitted after showing the statement inviting us to lunch and sometimes they are curtly turned away.

I just bring this up as an example of shipboard personnel's inconsistent application of Princess policy & not to debate it because there is already a lengthy thread about this situation.

Hello Astro Flyer, myfuzzy here from the Royal last year.

I guess I didn't dig deep enough in the threads to find information regarding the inconsistencies in the Princess brand. This just came to mind because I had been reading other current threads and was wondering how service and knowledge of the Princess product is progressing or is it regressing. I know customer service at times is very frustrating on both ends, as I am a customer service manager for over 40 years. I am trained to NEVER say "no" to the customer, but how can I say "yes" and achieve over the top customer service. That's by knowing my product, keep asking questions to my superiors, and if a question comes about....find someone who knows the answer and let that customer know that you ARE working for them.