Flying into Florida

blbailey

Ok so I need everyone's opinion/advice, we are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale...what is the best airport to fly into. Miami or Fort Lauderdale? Are the transfers hard to find? When do they start leaving for the ship? We have already booked the transfers through Princess just curious if the people are easy to locate.

the 2x's i sailed out of fort lauderdale , i flew Jfk to MIA

princess was there to meet me , and took me to Fort lauderdale

in fact 1 time i was the only person on the bus from mia to fort lauderdale the reason i flly jfk to mia , i do not have to make connections.

I dread making connections for fear of losing my luggage

this DEC i am flying JET Blue direct from BDL to fort lauderdale

princess will meet me and take me to the hotel.

the 2x's i sailed out of fort lauderdale , i flew Jfk to MIA

princess was there to meet me , and took me to Fort lauderdale

in fact 1 time i was the only person on the bus from mia to fort lauderdale the reason i flly jfk to mia , i do not have to make connections.

I dread making connections for fear of losing my luggage

this DEC i am flying JET Blue direct from BDL to fort lauderdale

princess will meet me and take me to the hotel.

What does princess charge you per person for the transfer?

There are four of us with luggage, are the taxis available vans? Where are they located? Right outside the luggage area?

Especially with four, it'll be much less expensive to take a taxi to the port... I believe Princess charges about $20 per person v. $20 for all of you... as previously mentioned, you'll get there a lot faster too!

Well my answer would depend on flight times. There are only a couple of (sometimes one) nonstop flight for us. And I would rather nonstop. My last cruise, SW had the nonstop home around noon from fll...perfect. but another time, nonstop was 8pm. Fll doesn't have much IF you have to wait (like restaurants or really anything) except a good close airport to port everglades

Well my answer would depend on flight times. There are only a couple of (sometimes one) nonstop flight for us. And I would rather nonstop. My last cruise, SW had the nonstop home around noon from fll...perfect. but another time, nonstop was 8pm. Fll doesn't have much IF you have to wait (like restaurants or really anything) except a good close airport to port everglades

Tons of shops and restaurants and excursions.... :cool:

We are supposed to get there at 930. So what does everyone think, shouldn't be a problem getting a van/taxi at that time should it?

No problem at all if your flight doesn't get cancelled, weather is decent. It gives you a lot of time to get to the port even with small delays. If there's a big storm, well... Make sure to get insurance!

As others have said, you should try to fly into "FLL." As to transfers, save yourself some money and hassles and simply take a taxi to the port (they are cheaper then cruise line transfers). However, experienced cruisers (and we have been doing it for over forty years) will advise that its always wise to fly-in at least one day early. There are quite a few hotels that offer free transfers to their hotel and some even offer free or low-cost transfers to the port the morning of the cruise. Personally, we usually avoid group transfers and simply call a taxi (less hassles).

As to other airport options, some folks find it expedient to fly into MIA (Miami) because the connections might be better or the prices cheaper. There are multiple transfer services that will transfer folks from MIA to Port Everglades.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

We are supposed to get there at 930. So what does everyone think, shouldn't be a problem getting a van/taxi at that time should it?

On a turnaround day, there's an ocean of taxis available. There's literally no waiting to get one, even if there are gazillion people flying in and boarding every ship in port.

They will stop your cab on the entrance to port. Make sure you have your cruise paperwork and passports ready. They want to make sure you have a passport, and cruise document is for that day.

Ok so I need everyone's opinion/advice, we are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale...what is the best airport to fly into. Miami or Fort Lauderdale? Are the transfers hard to find? When do they start leaving for the ship? We have already booked the transfers through Princess just curious if the people are easy to locate.

FLL is much closer but you made a mistake in booking Princess transfers, they are more $$ and a cab ride would be $18-20 tip included.

After everyone's advice, thank you, I have cancelled our transfers and we are going to just get a taxi out of the airport and go that route. When we went to Seattle it was such a hassle doing the transfer that I really didn't want to go that way again. Thanks!!!!

• 4 months later...

I'm piggybacking on this thread. :)

The only direct flight we could get on AA using miles was to fly from LAX to MIA (two days before our April cruise.) No way do I want to change planes in Dallas or Chicago.

There will be two of us. Is it more convenient/cheaper to just grab a cab directly to our hotel (Hyatt at FLL, not the one off 17th Street) or to get a shuttle? We don't want to go to FLL and then have to go to the hotel from there.

I'm piggybacking on this thread. :)

The only direct flight we could get on AA using miles was to fly from LAX to MIA (two days before our April cruise.) No way do I want to change planes in Dallas or Chicago.

There will be two of us. Is it more convenient/cheaper to just grab a cab directly to our hotel (Hyatt at FLL, not the one off 17th Street) or to get a shuttle? We don't want to go to FLL and then have to go to the hotel from there.

It will be cheaper and easier to either use a shuttle service, hire a private car (towncar or limo) or use Uber. A Cab can add up quickly if there's any traffic at all. Without traffic, about a 30-35 minute ride. You also have the option of the Tri-Rail, which from MIA to FLL (and points north), then a Cab from FLL to hotel.... Just look up Florida Tri-Rail... Very inexpensive option.

It will be cheaper and easier to either use a shuttle service, hire a private car (towncar or limo) or use Uber. A Cab can add up quickly if there's any traffic at all. Without traffic, about a 30-35 minute ride. You also have the option of the Tri-Rail, which from MIA to FLL (and points north), then a Cab from FLL to hotel.... Just look up Florida Tri-Rail... Very inexpensive option.
Thanks for the suggestions. As said, we plan to go directly from MIA to the hotel. Guess I wasn't clear enough about that. Rail and Uber are out. Not gonna happen. Our flight arrives just before 7pm so I expect it'll be close to 8pm before we will have our luggage and head to the hotel which I hope will be sufficiently past rush hour.

Pam,

We have used all service shuttle . com for our private transfers. They are a family owned company and the son, Diego is a great guy who has been our driver. The van was clean and very well maintained. I would call or email them and see what price they can give you.

Debbie