Flying into Florida

blbailey

Ok so I need everyone's opinion/advice, we are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale...what is the best airport to fly into. Miami or Fort Lauderdale? Are the transfers hard to find? When do they start leaving for the ship? We have already booked the transfers through Princess just curious if the people are easy to locate.

It would sure help to know what city you are flying in from. Fewer and fewer are offering a choice of direct flights to both FLL and MIA.

If flying in the morning of the cruise, you want to pick the flight that starts the earliest in the morning and if not direct at least with no terminal change at the hub airport--and definitely no multi-airline bookings that do not check your bags all the way through, or even check-through on partner airlines with a tight transfer time. Which airport you arrive at is often less important than knowing there is some recourse if your original flight is overbooked, delayed or cancelled; flying a budget non-legacy airline or buying your tickets from an online reseller usually leaves you with no plan B.

And while a taxi is much less expensive than two Princess transfers it does offer you a level of protection if flying in on the day of the cruise and/or to an airport you are unfamiliar with. The Princess reps will be right at the baggage claim as early as the first flight known to have their passengers on it, though if arriving at dawn you will have a bit of a wait for the first bus to actually depart for the port.

Edited by fishywood

Ok so I need everyone's opinion/advice, we are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale...what is the best airport to fly into. Miami or Fort Lauderdale? You can see your ship from FLL which is a 10 minute ride from the airport. MIA is about a 45 minute ride if traffic is light.

Are the transfers hard to find? Very easy. Princess representatives will be in the luggage claim area and easy to spot.

When do they start leaving for the ship? We have already booked the transfers through Princess just curious if the people are easy to locate.

see above in red

Ok so I need everyone's opinion/advice, we are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale...what is the best airport to fly into. Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

Are the transfers hard to find?

The Princess reps in the baggage claim area carry a clipboard that says "Princess Cruises" on the back and are easy to spot. Just check in with them, as their clipboards have a list of expected passenger names and flight arrival times.

When do they start leaving for the ship?

The buses depart the airport periodically, either when they are filled or when there will be a lengthy gap between arriving flights. There was one time in FLL where I was the only passenger on the transfer bus because there wasn't another flight due in for over an hour, so they sent me on ahead to the pier!

We have already booked the transfers through Princess just curious if the people are easy to locate.

Hope that helps!

Edited by flamomo

If there are direct flights to Ft. Lauderdale that is the choice. From Ft. Lauderdale cancel the Princess transfer, a taxi from the airport to the ship is about $20 for two and is only 10 to 15 min trip. I always recommend flying in at least one night before the cruise.

From Miami the transfer to the pier is about 40mins with average traffic, and a taxi cost somewhere in the $75 range. If you fly into Miami also suggest at least one day early, and suggest you transfer to a Ft. Lauderdale area hotel after arrival, not the morning of the cruise.

Edited by sknight

It would sure help to know what city you are flying in from.

Or even what country and, dare I say, what time of day!!

For example, if you are flying in from the UK/Europe, there is a good case for flying into FLL via PHL. Yup, there are direct flights to MIA, but avoiding US immigration at MIA is something well worth considering.

Also, if you are flying in from Europe and decide to enter via MIA, then if you have a choice of time, make sure you take the later flight. I say this because there would appear to be a definite correlation between arrivals from the Caribbean, which tend to arrive earlier in the day, and the delays at MIA immigration, not to mention the general level of aggression from the apparently highly stressed airport staff at MIA, many of whom seem to think that the best way to get visitors to conform to their demands is to shout at them in Spanish.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

FLL definitely.

I wouldn't even worry about Princess transfer. A $7 cab ride, and you are at the ship in 10 minutes. There are always tons of cabs there, they expect heavy cruise traffic.

I agree with the advice but expect the cab ride to be twice that much. I've never heard of just $7 from the airport to the port - especially the Princess terminals since they are at the north end of the port (the airport is due south of the port; as others have said you can see the ships from the airport).

I agree with the advice but expect the cab ride to be twice that much. I've never heard of just $7 from the airport to the port - especially the Princess terminals since they are at the north end of the port (the airport is due south of the port; as others have said you can see the ships from the airport).

Last time (about 2 years back), I paid $10, with tip.

FLL definitely.

I wouldn't even worry about Princess transfer. A $7 cab ride, and you are at the ship in 10 minutes. There are always tons of cabs there, they expect heavy cruise traffic.

Closer to $20 + tip for a private taxi. A shuttle service is in the $10/pp range + tip.

There's no way I'd do the ship transfers from either airport. Cab as stated from FLL to Port Everglades will run in the $15 range..lower most often. Depends on traffic. You are so close to the ships you can see the tops of the ships while leaving the airport.

There are shuttles for $15 per person making runs back and forth from MIA.

I don't know what you are paying for ship rides, but you can be sitting at the airport for an hour waiting for other flights to come in. The coach buses arent waiting just for you.:rolleyes:

Go to the Florida ports of call board for lots of info.

For convenience we try to fly into our ship's port. But price can make us rethink that.

Thank you so much for all of the information. We are flying from Denver and our flight gets in at 930. Will we be able to get a bus asap
If you have a Princess transfer, you'll wait until the bus is filled before heading to the ship. Cancel the transfers and plan on taking a taxi if you're flying into FLL. Much faster and cheaper. Check-in starts at about 10am so you'll be able to check right in and be among the first in general boarding. Otherwise, you'll arrive with a busload of passengers later.

I would say the airport is more west than south of the p ort. EM

BG-51.jpg

I would say the airport is more west than south of the p ort. EM

BG-51.jpg

I was just thinking of looking south from the 17th street bridge :D. At any rate, it is close as all can see. My DB and SIL were flying out of FLL the day we were getting on a cruise. They called from the airport to say they could see our ship (I think it was the Ruby) but they couldn't see us :). I assured them that we were already in the Sanctuary relaxing.

Here's a good map from the Port Everglades website that shows the proximity. For those new to cruising on Princess out of Port Everglades, the usual terminal is #2. Terminal 4 is sometimes used and we have sailed out of/into Terminal 21 when there are a number of Princess ships in port. http://www.porteverglades.net/includes/content/docs/media/PEG545_MultiMapBrochure_Map_REVISED-Feb-17-2015.pdf

Edited by capriccio

Another recommendation for canceling your transfers. The two entities really are spittin' distance from each other. It's almost like getting on the freeway then getting off two exits later.

I fly into FLL the day of my cruise, from the Left Coast. I get in about 10:30 that morning for a 4-5 p.m. departure.

If you opt to fly in to FLL the day before the cruise, your hotel may have a shuttle that will pick you up at the airport, take you to the hotel, and take you to the ship the next day. I know that the Embassy Suites has a "Stay & Cruise" package that includes these transfers.

Thank you so much for all of the information. We are flying from Denver and our flight gets in at 930. Will we be able to get a bus asap

You can get on a bus as soon as your luggage is collected or just a short time later if you need to wait for the next bus.

However, as others have pointed out, you may sit on the bus for a while until it fills up.

Or you could be real lucky and be the passengers who fill up the bus and it will then leave as soon as you are on it.

Flying from Denver we will go to either FLL/MIA. If I can get a good fare to MIA then we will take it. The majority of the time we fly to FLL and always try and get a non-stop. Its only 25 miles or so from Miami and there are quite a few choices for transportation.

At FLL you can see the ship from the gate! :D

I agree take a cab. Less then $20 and quick. Don't waste $$ on a Princess transfer.

If you opt to fly in to FLL the day before the cruise, your hotel may have a shuttle that will pick you up at the airport, take you to the hotel, and take you to the ship the next day. I know that the Embassy Suites has a "Stay & Cruise" package that includes these transfers.

Still less costly to do it on your own than any hotel hired shuttle. Shuttles are a per person rate. Cab by the carload. And to us, more efficient and on our schedule.

Edited by eandj