Multi-plug OK--just no surge protector?

swomom

As long as you realize that shipboard electrical current will have spikes and valleys, along with both voltage and cycle variances, go ahead.

Are they severe -- not compared to power surges you might get with a lightning strike on land. But they do exist.

YMMV.

I always bring a mini surge protector with no problem..

Me too. I love my little Belkin Mini Surge Protector. If surge protectors are forbidden I never knew that and it has never been questioned. I value my laptop too much to take chances.

The real problem is that the outlet is a standard wall outlet combined with a switch for a light so they are very close together. You probably cannot plug two cubes in at the same time. Plus the cord will lay on top of the phone and can result in accidental pages to your room steward. We just use a short splitter cord.

I highly recommend using a surge protector. On one cruise on the Pacific Princess, I lost a laptop because of a spike. The Internet Cafe lost some of its desktops as well. I now use a Belkin 3-Outlet Mini and another surge protector,VCT USP600 - Universal Power Strip 6 Outlets 100V to 220V/250V that will handle 220v. The later has a standard 110 plug so you can use it with adapters when connecting to 220v. This allows me to utilize the 220v outlets in the stateroom and connect all those electric devices that are multiple voltage (110v/220v) such as camera charges, computers, etc. :):)

You folks haven't been reading posts here have you? Surge protectors built for use on land are a fire hazard when used on maritime (read ship) electrical systems. This recent post contains an extensive discussion regarding surge protectors on ships. Even the US Coast Guard discourages their use.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236232&highlight=surge+protector

Get with it. Multiple outlets, OK. Surge protectors NO. I'd rather lose a laptop than have people die.

Sheesh, this is almost as bad as discussing dress code for formal nights ... :eek:

Edited by beg3yrs

I highly recommend using a surge protector. On one cruise on the Pacific Princess, I lost a laptop because of a spike. The Internet Cafe lost some of its desktops as well. I now use a Belkin 3-Outlet Mini and another surge protector,VCT USP600 - Universal Power Strip 6 Outlets 100V to 220V/250V that will handle 220v. The later has a standard 110 plug so you can use it with adapters when connecting to 220v. This allows me to utilize the 220v outlets in the stateroom and connect all those electric devices that are multiple voltage (110v/220v) such as camera charges, computers, etc. :):)

THANK YOU! I've been wondering about getting my camera's rechargeable battery charged. I also intend to bring a spare battery with me, so would be charging the camera, a spare battery and possibly working on my computer as a Word Processor at the same time. As a Fireman's Daughter, I know better than to leave electrical items unattended when charging-Dad did it, but one of his colleagues was an Electrician and had okayed it-I never took the chance.

I did buy a multi-outlet non-surge protected power board and an extension cord to bring with me on the cruise.

I have to go along with beg3yrs. However, there are maritime-compliant surge protectors--that are just less common and more expensive. Personally I would go with a simple triple tap. Doesn't protect, but it provides 3 outlets and it takes up almost no space in your luggage.

I had a surge suppressor catch fire and burn on me once. It also popped the fuses in my room ion the N&N where it happened. So those of you who are saying "it is just a small plugin suppressor" or "I don't want to take a chance of damaging my electronics" are basically saying "I don't care if I have a fire in my cabin that could spread - my stuff is more important". Do I have it right?

DON

I used to use the mini Belkin surge protector until I read all of the posts about why I shouldn't. I took the advice of those who seem to have authoritative information to back up their claims and switched to using the item below. It has outlets on both sides (total of 4) and the cord plugs into the device for easy packing and storage.

Monster_zpscsohyryq.jpg

Care to explain?

Lew

Scroll down to post #9 and read the thread linked to in that post. Reading all of that should keep you busy tonight. If not go over to the Celebrity board and search for power strips (I think that was the title) and you will find another long discussion on this subject, which is probably why Celebrity is confiscating all extension cords, power strips, and surge protectors.

With the USCG highly recommending that surge protectors be removed from ALL ships, how long will it be before all the cruise lines get with the program?

Edited by sptrout

I always bring a three outlet surge protector and have had no problems.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

You folks haven't been reading posts here have you? Surge protectors built for use on land are a fire hazard when used on maritime (read ship) electrical systems. This recent post contains an extensive discussion regarding surge protectors on ships. Even the US Coast Guard discourages their use.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2236232&highlight=surge+protector

Get with it. Multiple outlets, OK. Surge protectors NO. I'd rather lose a laptop than have people die.

Sheesh, this is almost as bad as discussing dress code for formal nights ... :eek:

Its going to keep rearing its ugly head unfortunately.

Island Princess 2008 Alaska, Island Princess 2009 (B2B) Alaska, Royal Princess (Old) 2010 Alaska, Golden Princess 2011 Alaska, Coral Princess 2012 Panama Canal, Star Princess 2012 Alaska, Island Princess 2013 Alaska, Crown Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Caribbean Princess 2013 Western Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 Eastern Caribbean, Royal Princess 2014 New England, Emerald Princess 2014 Western Caribbean, Emerald Princess 2015 Western Caribbean, Ruby Princess 2015 Alaska

Spoken like a true anchor clanker.

Edited by Colorado Coasty
wrong word

"I've always gone to Ford's Theater and have had no problems"

-- Abraham Lincoln

The absence of something in the past is no guarantee that it won't happen in the future. You never have had a car accident before you have your first one. Many more examples.

And yet one more demonstration of "it's all about me".

Your house is wired with one 120vac hot line and one neutral, the surge suppressor is designed for this. The ship's systems has two 60vac hots and no neutral.
DING DING DING. We have a winner.

An actual technical answer as to why the surge protector you use at home or in a hotel is NOT made for the electrical systems you find onboard a ship.

Thank you!!

Your house is wired with one 120vac hot line and one neutral, the surge is designed for this. The ship's systems has two 60vac hots and no neutral.

Thank you for your concise answer.

If the use of a surge suppressor is so dangerous, I wonder why Princess doesn't have a policy regarding their use onboard their ships. :confused: I've never seen anything on the a Princess website, in their literature or onboard addressing this issue.

Lew

I used to use the mini Belkin surge protector until I read all of the posts about why I shouldn't. I took the advice of those who seem to have authoritative information to back up their claims and switched to using the item below. It has outlets on both sides (total of 4) and the cord plugs into the device for easy packing and storage.

I want one of those. Amazon? Tell me, does it fit vertically in the space where the outlets are on the ship? In other words, is there enough room between the outlet and the desk surface below it? I'm assuming if you use it it must work.

I want one of those. Amazon? Tell me, does it fit vertically in the space where the outlets are on the ship? In other words, is there enough room between the outlet and the desk surface below it? I'm assuming if you use it it must work.
Yes, Amazon. I can't answer your other question just yet but many here use it so presumably there are no issues.

http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1441247806&sr=8-2&keywords=monster+outlet

BTW, right now as I post it's listed under a seller selling at about twice the price I paid from Amazon. Check regularly and wait for Amazon to sell it.

Edited by Nezmo