Any hotels where you can see Manhattan Pier from your room?

klepton

I'm looking to surprise my wife and kids with a cruise on the NCL BA next year. I like to keep them guessing, so I was thinking of getting to NYC and springing the cruise on them the morning of departure. Are there any hotels where you can book a room with a view of Manhattan Pier? I'd love for my daughter to look out the window, see the BA, and then I get to tell her we're going on it today!

From my searching the closest hotel I've found to the peir is the ink48, but they don't appear to have bookable "Hudson view" rooms.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

I'm looking to surprise my wife and kids with a cruise on the NCL BA next year. I like to keep them guessing, so I was thinking of getting to NYC and springing the cruise on them the morning of departure. Are there any hotels where you can book a room with a view of Manhattan Pier? I'd love for my daughter to look out the window, see the BA, and then I get to tell her we're going on it today!

From my searching the closest hotel I've found to the peir is the ink48, but they don't appear to have bookable "Hudson view" rooms.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Sounds like a lovely surprise, but.....is it really practical?

Most folks pack differently for a cruise. The clothes you need for a week in NYC in May are not at all what you would want or need for Bermuda in May.

Have you been to NYC? The Cruiseport is on the west side near the Hudson River. IMO staying near the pier is way out of the way for seeing the sights conveniently. A more midtown location lets you step out of your hotel and be close to all the transportation and action of the city, particularly in the evening.

Plus the NYC pier is really ugly and you really can't see the ships well from the street side.

Another thing, from a woman's perspective, your wife will be mad if she doesn't pack her cruise clothes haha

Edited by Got2Cruise

You could stay across the river in Jersey City. However, I'd kill my husband. I was just talking to my sister about her upcoming cruise, and how hard it is to pack for, because unlike land vacations, you can just go out shopping if you forget something, or luggage is list. If touring NYC isn't part of the plan, stay outside the city to save some money.

Marriott @ Chelsea / lower 20th's on the west side, along the "Highline" & marketplace - it's popular with my cousins coming to NY @ their office building (Google) - higher floors have views of the Hudson & the north-facing ones, the piers & ships ... across/over the rail yards.

It's a bit out of the way for the Times Square tourist crowds but easy walking from the subway line & PATH @ 23th Street stations - plenty of taxis & of course, lots of those "ride-sharing" car services.

BTW, ChelseaMarket's fresh seafood, oysters, clams, king crabs & lobsters, chowders, etc. are diet "killers" to die for - get your fixes & you won't need to do anything onboard with Ocean Blue, at very, very competitive NY prices.

Homewood Suites by Hilton (Edgewater, NJ) across the Hudson on the waterfront, north of the pier - those facing the river southward do have views of the piers & ships, at a somewhat distance. Use Google Earth/Maps' Street View to get a virtual look if interested to see for yourself.

Edited by mking8288

I have to agree with the other women on this thread. Packing for NYC and a cruise are two completely different wardrobes. If I were going to NYC, I'd probably bring just one swim suit and one cover up. One a cruise, that is almost your daily wardrobe. I'd want o make sure I bring the right ones with me, (along with the matching/corresponding shoe). LOL The items that I'd bring to NYC would never go with me on a cruise and visa versa.

But good for you for thinking of her and surprising her. (although I'd kill my husband LMBO)

Thank you all for the suggestions! I looked into each hotel on the manhattan side and none seem to offer a category of room that has a view of the hudson, so it would all be a crap shoot anyway which wasn't really what I was looking for. I appreciate you filling me in with details about the area, that's good info to have.

I certainly haven't worked out all the details yet, we spent 6 days in Manhattan in June, so I haven't' decided yet if we're going to go early and have a few more days in NYC, or just go the day before the cruise. If we just get in the day before, going across the river to Jersey City might work well. While there's nothing right across from the pier, there are a number of hotels on the Hudson and maybe we just get up early and watch the BA sail by. If we do go a few days early I'll probably forgo this plan and just stay somewhere closer to the action in Manhattan.

Regarding the surprise, I haven't completely figured it out yet, but I do know for sure that I *WILL NOT* try to pack for my wife. :D I might have to break the surprise to her the day before we leave or something so she can pack accordingly.

Regarding the surprise, I haven't completely figured it out yet, but I do know for sure that I *WILL NOT* try to pack for my wife. I might have to break the surprise to her the day before we leave or something so she can pack accordingly.

Please do this! You will thank yourself later!

According to the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor hotel website, the hotel has what they call a Panoramic Suite, from which would have a view of the Upper West Side piers and any ships docked there:

http://www.sheratonlincolnharbor.com/gallery/Guestrooms

I would think that most if not all the rooms at the Sheraton would give you some view of the Hudson River and of the Manhattan skyline. Obviously, the higher the floor, the better the view.

Incidentally, NY Waterway runs a ferry from the dock just outside the hotel to the 39th Street Manhattan ferry terminal, which is just a few blocks due south of the piers. This video shows the ferry and the view of Manhattan from ground level outside the Sheraton; the hotel itself is seen at approximately 30 seconds into the video:

From where I shot this video, just outside the Sheraton, walk north along the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway for four or five minutes and you will have these views:

According to the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor hotel website, the hotel has what they call a Panoramic Suite, from which would have a view of the Upper West Side piers and any ships docked there:

http://www.sheratonlincolnharbor.com/gallery/Guestrooms

I would think that most if not all the rooms at the Sheraton would give you some view of the Hudson River and of the Manhattan skyline. Obviously, the higher the floor, the better the view.

Incidentally, NY Waterway runs a ferry from the dock just outside the hotel to the 39th Street Manhattan ferry terminal, which is just a few blocks due south of the piers. This video shows the ferry and the view of Manhattan from ground level outside the Sheraton; the hotel itself is seen at approximately 30 seconds into the video:

From where I shot this video, just outside the Sheraton, walk north along the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway for four or five minutes and you will have these views:

Thank you very much for the detailed response and videos! I checked the Sheraton and it does look like it would work well. A little pricey, but definitely fits the bill for exactly what I was asking. I'll call SPG tomorrow and see if I can redeem points for that room, as I have a pile of SPG points available to me.

Thanks again! Really helped to get that perspective!

Here's how I would spring the surprise. Go to New York earlier in the year (if you can mayve just for a fun weekend) and then say " I want to go to the intrepid Air and Space Museum". While at the Museum, point out the cruise ships (which should be visible from the deck of the Intrepid) and say " Those ships are really pretty we should go on one of them some time." Then if they say "yeah we should" you then go "Well I've got tickets for next month ( or whenever)".

Do one of the longer helo tours that fly up the Hudson and pass over the BA (i.e. the embarkation day before yours and shop for summer clothing on 5th all week long :D ).

Your view will be this:

2u6k2lz.png

You will wear headsets so you can communicate with each other and the pilot.

Thank you for the picture! I had considered a helo tour for this actually. it's nice to get a visual. I don't think we'll get to NYC an entire week before though.

You posted earlier that You want to break the surprise the day before you leave?

I hope you are kidding

How about break the surprise to her on valentines day or Mother's Day?

Valentines day makes more sense

What are you thinking????? To surprise her the day before or the day of is totally inconsiderate and somewhat selfish...IMHO of course

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by luvtheships

You posted earlier that You want to break the surprise the day before you leave?

I hope you are kidding

How about break the surprise to her on valentines day or Mother's Day?

Valentines day makes more sense

What are you thinking????? To surprise her the day before or the day of is totally inconsiderate and somewhat selfish...IMHO of course

Having a bad day? Think of it, at least he is taking his wife and kids somewhere. :D OP presumably knows them best and what suits them, not everyone is a planner.

Cheer up! See the bright side! :)

Having a bad day? Think of it, at least he is taking his wife and kids somewhere. :D OP presumably knows them best and what suits them, not everyone is a planner.

Cheer up! See the bright side! :)

Still a silly idea to surprise his wife this way. Sorry just logic talking here. Lol.

Still a silly idea to surprise his wife this way. Sorry just logic talking here. Lol.

Thanks luvtheships! I'm glad I found someone on here who knows my wife better than me to steer me in the right direction! :D That probably sounded snarkier than I meant it to... :cool:

My wife loves surprises and is the spontaneous type, as long as I can cover all the basics without her knowing (telling her employer, stopping mail, etc.) she'll be ecstatic. Packing is the only challenge, as I wouldn't attempt to pack for her (or DD for that matter). That's why I'll probably have to spill the beans a day or so before so they can pack themselves. I've whisked her away on surprise weekend getaways before, she likes it.

I have a feeling the surprise might be broken before that know... the more people who know about it the more likely someone is to let something slip. We'll see...

Thanks luvtheships! I'm glad I found someone on here who knows my wife better than me to steer me in the right direction! :D That probably sounded snarkier than I meant it to... :cool:

My wife loves surprises and is the spontaneous type, as long as I can cover all the basics without her knowing (telling her employer, stopping mail, etc.) she'll be ecstatic. Packing is the only challenge, as I wouldn't attempt to pack for her (or DD for that matter). That's why I'll probably have to spill the beans a day or so before so they can pack themselves. I've whisked her away on surprise weekend getaways before, she likes it.

I have a feeling the surprise might be broken before that know... the more people who know about it the more likely someone is to let something slip. We'll see...

Well then I guess you sort of agree that she will need to know before the morning of embark then?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Well then I guess you sort of agree that she will need to know before the morning of embark then?

I said that before... twice. I can tell her the day before we leave so she can pack. Doesn't mean I need to tell her everything. She just needs to know we're going on a cruise, she doesn't need to know it's the Breakaway. That reveal can wait until we see the ship.