Upgrading from classic to premium beverage package on board

AnnaMiami

Was what we experienced in April when we cruised, my brother & his wife had this issue, she can't drink due to medical issues & brother wanted to upgraded & celebrity made both upgrade.

When I called for our holiday cruise upcoming, I can't drink due to a medical condition & DH needs premium & we both had to upgrade. Apparently if your over 21 in the room you need to be on the same package. At least this has been our exp.

I even offered to submit my note & they still said it didn't matter.

Wait till you are on ship next time. This is the first I have heard of someone experiencing this requirement. Sorry you got it stuck to you.:(

Hmmmm...In March, before a cruise, I upgraded my drink package to Premium. My two daughters remained with the Classic package...we were all in the same room.

Our cousin, while onboard, purchased the Premium package and her daughter did not purchase a package at all. :rolleyes:

Jayoldschool, we tried to get guest relations to print new cards. No dice. We were with a group of 50 staterooms & saw over 2/3 of the group each morning at guest relations getting stickers & in April when we sailed on,y guest relations had the stickers.

Very frustrating, so I've already upgraded for our holiday sailing this year.

I have a simple solution to this. I carry a couple of small strips of clear packing tape and cover our cards so that nothing rubs off of the card. I have been on cruises where I had to replace cards because the white printing started rubbing off.

Was what we experienced in April when we cruised, my brother & his wife had this issue, she can't drink due to medical issues & brother wanted to upgraded & celebrity made both upgrade.

When I called for our holiday cruise upcoming, I can't drink due to a medical condition & DH needs premium & we both had to upgrade. Apparently if your over 21 in the room you need to be on the same package. At least this has been our exp.

I even offered to submit my note & they still said it didn't matter.

I agree with Wallie and sorry this happened to you.

I have cruised with my sister, who does not drink alcohol, on Celebrity. Last time was Jan 2014. I had the Premium Alcohol and my sister had the Non PA beverage package. No problem.

We both have the classic with the 123 promo. We will upgrade to our usual when we board.

From another post.....

If you are purchasing it, not receiving it as a perk from Celebrity, then you may each purchase or not purchase the appropriate package. If it is a perk from Celebrity, then they have been requiring all passengers to select the same perk. If you choose the beverage package as you perk, and someone wants to upgrade from Classic to Premium, then if you do it ahead of time, all must upgrade. There have been reports that if you upgrade on the ship, that only one may upgrade.

We received the classic alcohol package with our booking, but want to upgrade to the premium on board so that we can use our OBC to pay for the upgrade. Does anyone know if this can be done on the deck just as you board the ship where they display the beverage packages? Or where can we easily do this? Thanks!

You can easily upgrade on board. However they give you a sticker and it can fall off and be a pain. If you upgrade in advance, it is embossed on your card. You are doing the correct thing. If you do not upgrade and want for example, a chocolate Martini- at the martini bar ( with great vodka), best to do. The cost of one martini is the daily cost of the upgrade! If you do not, you get little house martini's which aren't nearly as good.

Enjoy your cruise.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Thank you for all the comments! My husband and i both want the premium package as we're both into top shelf bourbon and want a better craft beer/wine by the glass selection. Happy to hear we can do it at the bar once on board - last time we purchased the package onboard and had the stickers that fell off and got the embossed card at guest relations, so hopefully that will be the case again. Sad to see the Molecular bar is going away - that was our favorite before-dinner spot.

• 1 year later...

We are cruising with Reflection 2/11/2017 and got Classic package as part of the promotion. Neither of us drinks alcohol but we'd like to drink premium water and Vitamin water which are not included in classic package. Does anyone have idea if we can downgrade to Premium Non-alcoholic package which is much cheaper than Classic package (including alcoholic drinks)? May sound irrational since I do not expect to get any refund but being able to drink those premium water varieties would be much better deal for us than maybe having a glass or two of wine during the whole cruise. Last time we had Premium package as part of the promotion and I think I had 2 glasses of champagne during our cruise :)

We are cruising with Reflection 2/11/2017 and got Classic package as part of the promotion. Neither of us drinks alcohol but we'd like to drink premium water and Vitamin water which are not included in classic package. Does anyone have idea if we can downgrade to Premium Non-alcoholic package which is much cheaper than Classic package (including alcoholic drinks)? May sound irrational since I do not expect to get any refund but being able to drink those premium water varieties would be much better deal for us than maybe having a glass or two of wine during the whole cruise. Last time we had Premium package as part of the promotion and I think I had 2 glasses of champagne during our cruise :)

Maybe yes, maybe no. Just head to Guest Relations, once you are aboard, and ask. Since you are asking to be downgraded to a less expensive package you have a good chance of being accommodated. It sure never hurts to ask :).

Hank

I certainly never tried it, but I somewhat recall hearing that the answer was "no". But I agree that it never hurts to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

misinformation alert!!!! No, both people in the same room do not have to buy a package or upgrade...the only thing close to that is if you get it as a free perk, THEN you both must choose the same perk like free drinks or more OBC but PURCHASEING a package or upgrading its not required .....also I have "heard" though I don't know its a fact that only on the 1st day the person who upgrades you gets a commission which is why we always upgrade at the Martini Bar when we are ready for our first drink so as to hook up a bartender with the commission ....I would think this is probably true as both times we have done that the bartender we upgraded with gave us top notch service for the entire rest of the cruise as in began making us drinks as soon as he saw us anywhere near the Martini Bar, calling us over when 2 bar stools opened up when the bar was full and generally going way above and beyond for us the entire cruise...he also just wrote down our upgrade on a piece of paper and didn't run the charge till later that evening after we got underway so as to keep us from having to pay the local tax but put our sticker on right away so we have the Premium drinks all afternoon prior to leaving....he offered to do this for us so I would ask your bartender if they will do that for you as well if you depart from one of the ports that charge these local taxes while inport...

I certainly never tried it, but I somewhat recall hearing that the answer was "no". But I agree that it never hurts to ask.

Thanks for your comments. I understand this may one of the less common questions to be asked at guest relations desk :) or here at the CC boards, for that matter :)

Just thought if you are able to upgrade to Premium package why would you not be able to upgrade to Premium N/A - there just isn't an additional charge to cover the difference in price?

Anyway, upgrading to Premium package for $11.50 per night would be a good choice for us since we only need to upgrade one person for both to be able to drink from 750ml or 1l bottle of San Pellegrino or Evian in the dining room. On our first Celebrity cruise we did that only I having a beverage package and it was completely fine every time in Blu, MDR, or in any specialty restaurant (we did them all).

Just an FYI, you do not have to upgrade the first day. You can upgrade, prorated, any time up to, I think, the last three days of the cruise. So for some people it makes sense to give it a day or so and be sure you want/need to upgrade.

Very true....the things I like the BEST with premium is getting a couple mimosas at breakfast using Domain Chandon Brut vice the swill they give you normally...also having 1 or 2 of the coffee cocktails at Bacio first thing in the morning as well as having so many great wines to choose from at dinner and the Sommelier always keeping your glass topped off.....not all of these require the Premium package but for $11 a day its WELL worth not having to even really think about what you want and just ordering it...and this doesn't even count the great options at the Martini Bar! :eek: LOL

For anyone on the Go Big promotion I have a tip for you. If you want the premium package, enquire about an upgrade to the Go Best promotion. For us it costed less than what we got back in terms of OBC and prepaid gratuities, and basically got the upgrade to Premium Bev. package and the Internet for free!

For anyone on the Go Big promotion I have a tip for you. If you want the premium package, enquire about an upgrade to the Go Best promotion. For us it costed less than what we got back in terms of OBC and prepaid gratuities, and basically got the upgrade to Premium Bev. package and the Internet for free!

I totally agree that it's worth looking into, but I suggest that you check the math before you assume-- it's not ALWAYS better.

Is this something you ask for through your travel agent or when you board and ask your concierge? We have a Concierge Veranda. Thanks!

Is this something you ask for through your travel agent or when you board and ask your concierge? We have a Concierge Veranda. Thanks!

I booked directly with celebrity - and I called them to upgrade. Give your TA an call to enquire. Check the current price on celebrity.com with the Go Best promotion and quote this to your TA. Remember that with go best you will get included gratuities and $ 300 OBC so if the difference is less than lets say $ 500 for a 7 day cruise it's a no brainer, if the difference is more than the value of the OBC and the gratuities, you have to think about what the premium beverage package and the internet package is worth to you!

Edited by Silhouette2017

My wife and I are planning on upgrading on board

To use some OBC. Just to check, has anyone been able to get the new Seapass cards at guest services on board the Equinox? I'd prefer not to worry about the sticker.

Also, to correct a comment made by an earlier poster, upgrade cost is $11.80 per day which is $10.00 to upgrade and $1.80 for the grats, not the tax.

We did the middle package (go better) on our last cruise and upgraded to Premium package with the on board credit that we were given ($150 each). That worked out very well as we got the Premium package and still had some OBC to put towards a specialty restaurant on the Infinity. Would totally do this again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums