Unable to book a Cat W - Suite GTY as a single occupant

applefan75

I've been trying to book a Category W - Suite Guarantee as a single occupant; however RCL says its restricted to double occupancy bookings, even though I'm paying a full supplement. Has anyone encountered this before and no of a way to get around the restriction?

Joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can put anyone's name as the second guest, and they can be a no-show. You will get a refund of the taxes after the no-show.

Note that this will ensure you pay 200%. In other words, if there is some price drop where they lower the supplement under 200%, you won't be able to get it.

Another downside of doing this is that you are likely to only get double points, not triple points.

Edited by clarea

You can put anyone's name as the second guest, and they can be a no-show. You will get a refund of the taxes after the no-show.

Note that this will ensure you pay 200%. In other words, if there is some price drop where they lower the supplement under 200%, you won't be able to get it.

Another downside of doing this is that you are likely to only get double points, not triple points.

I thought about that, not sure it would be possible since I'm trying to upgrade a current reservation that is past final payment. Not sure if RCL would let me add another passenger.

I thought about that, not sure it would be possible since I'm trying to upgrade a current reservation that is past final payment. Not sure if RCL would let me add another passenger.

Give it a try, and let us know. I'm curious if it's better to add the extra pax now and then upgrade, rather than doing it all at once.

Edited by clarea

I have been very pushy on this issue in the past.

I can understand if you are within final payment or have incentives on the booking that you need to keep the current booking.

This discrimination is present for many fare categories including most guarantee fares at all times and is not just affecting W fares.

What I do when making a new booking.

1. Make a courtesy hold reservation with my name and information for the 1st passenger. I place TBA in the name fields and the only other field you are required to put information is a 'dummy' birth date for the 2nd passenger.

2. I then call RCI and tell them that I do not accept that if 2 passengers can book a cabin and with the fact that I am paying 100% supplement they are in fact getting the same cabin revenue as if 2 passengers booked.

3. They need to contact the resolutions department that then needs to contact the 'revenue' department to get the approval to 'open' the category for you booking.

4. If I have been within final payment when booking a new booking, I have always just went ahead and paid the fare and taxes for the second passenger and they have refunded this amount when it got to resolutions. The taxes have been refunded to me on each occasion a few business days after resolutions has adapted the booking.

In your case, if you are within final payment or you are needing to keep a booking to maintain an incentive, this could get more difficult, but I would certainly push the issue and get them to call resolutions.

I noticed as I moved up the C&A loyalty level ladder that this issue became easier to resolve. I have always in the end avoided these discriminatory policies and was satisfied in the end, but I have been very disappointed that I have to jump through so many hoops and spend so much time to be treated fairly as a solo passenger by RCI.

I noticed as I moved up the C&A loyalty level ladder that this issue became easier to resolve. I have always in the end avoided these discriminatory policies and was satisfied in the end, but I have been very disappointed that I have to jump through so many hoops and spend so much time to be treated fairly as a solo passenger by RCI.

Excellent explanation Madflyer. Thank you.

Just to add to this topic, during one of the large on-line TA Labor Day sales, Brilliance 5-day Feb 22/16 M-interior was being offered to double occupancy passenger for $339pp... solo over $1000. H oceanview $389 double occupancy... solo over $1100. Disgusting practices and discrimination.

Technically, they will not get the same total revenue for 1 person as for 2. Two people will spend more money on food and drink than one which might explain the reluctance to encourage solo sailors.

Totally disagree. I have spoken to and become friends with many couples on board who spend zero dollars on board, refuse specialty food upcharge, book 100% private excursions, pay for zero drinks, etc... Having said that, RCL will sail with a few cabins empty if they have maxed out on the life-boat count with other cabins having more than double occupancy, so having solos shouldn't be an issue whatsoever as the ship gets filled with a maximum count anyways imho

I cruise solo as my husband passed away several years ago and I love cruising...so will pay the price. However, I do think it is discrimination by Royal to not offer guarantee staterooms to solo cruisers. It is happening to me right now on one of my cruises for November 1st. I booked with a TA so too complicated to try to upgrade to a JS. Very annoying. 😁

Just to update everyone; it took a day and a half, but my TA was finally able to get a RCL rep to get the upgrade through. I agree with everyone, it's a shame that solo cruisers have to jump through hoops for some things, especially when we're paying the same rates less a few port fees.

Oh well, I'm very happy; I secured at least a Spa JS on my upcoming 8 day TA on Anthem, the extra room space and rainshower with separate tub will be nice over all those sea days.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Joe

Just to update everyone; it took a day and a half, but my TA was finally able to get a RCL rep to get the upgrade through. I agree with everyone, it's a shame that solo cruisers have to jump through hoops for some things, especially when we're paying the same rates less a few port fees.

Oh well, I'm very happy; I secured at least a Spa JS on my upcoming 8 day TA on Anthem, the extra room space and rainshower with separate tub will be nice over all those sea days.

Joe

Thanks for reporting back, and I'm glad it worked out.:)

I have Always gotten an upgrade for single occupancy as long as I am willing to pay the difference in fares. Usually they do have to contact the resolution department. This includes special discounted fares that are posted after final payment as well as fares that state "for new bookings and double occupancy."

You have to be persistent. Also, every travel agent I have used has been able to get them for me if I have not booked directly. I take advantage of these fares all the time on both RCI and Celebrity.

Dictionary definition of discriminatory:

making or showing an unfair or prejudicial distinction between different categories of people or things

W category available to 2 passengers at 2 x 1099 + taxes available to a couple or friends.

3rd and 4th passenger rates available for 399 for a family or group.

W category closed to solo passenger entirely and forced to book 2 x JS rate of 1799 to get the same cabin offered to the couple, friends, family or group.

Seems like that fits the definition of discriminatory to me. Closing a category to one subgroup of passengers willing to pay the same fare as the others is unfair business practice.

Dictionary definition of discriminatory:

making or showing an unfair or prejudicial distinction between different categories of people or things

W category available to 2 passengers at 2 x 1099 + taxes available to a couple or friends.

3rd and 4th passenger rates available for 399 for a family or group.

W category closed to solo passenger entirely and forced to book 2 x JS rate of 1799 to get the same cabin offered to the couple, friends, family or group.

Seems like that fits the definition of discriminatory to me. Closing a category to one subgroup of passengers willing to pay the same fare as the others is unfair business practice.

How about some details, hate to just take you at face value.

1441597820438.jpg.92e2ee11b6d449502388d749324266e4.jpg

I have encountered both situations: They WILL let a solo book a guarantee category and they WON'T let a solo book a guarantee category. Seems random to me.

But I think that it is a policy much like not allowing two people to book a cabin with four berths, such as 1688, a practice that annoys some peope. But you can see their point, if you think about it.

:)

Neither disgusting nor discriminatory. Not all D1 cabins can be booked by a pair; not all guarantee categories can be booked by a single.

Edited by Merion_Mom

Not being able to get a specific cabin is not the same thing as not being able to book at a fare itself.

We are not looking for anything that would not be offered to those booking double. If doubles are restricted from a room type along with solos that is fine.

To not offer a product available to one group by paying double to a solo paying double is where it becomes discriminatory.

They sell guarantees 'run of ship' and can put you anywhere that suits them.

Joe

Spa JS cabins are very nice, enjoy the extra space. A very well appointed cabin. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Well worth the fight you put up to get it.

Jimbo:)