Hot Spots and Headlines: A Mariner Mediterranean Joint Live Blog

Mr Rumor

FreeMaggie: Not sure when you'll be at a computer next - happy to hear that you were almost in Istanbul you posted.

I want to describe Regent's "Block Party". It is announced in "Passages" (daily newspaper) first. A few minutes prior the time it is scheduled, an announcement will be made over the loudspeaker. When the bell rings, passengers come out of their suites with a wine glass in hand. While you are meeting your neighbors, wine is being poured and cheese and other munchie items are being passed around. Also, the top officers start on the top deck and work their way down to the lowest deck shaking hands and greeting people. It is really fun and a nice way to meet your neighbors.

Enjoy Cappadocia!

11 on Thursday sounds fine for us.

Interesting that they couldn't put in at Mykonos and got Volos as a last minutes substitute while for us, they cancel Lesbos and can't find an alternative with a weeks advance notice. I am still hoping for something other than just a sea day.

Meanwhile, ten minutes ago I discovered our little dachshund, Holly, posed above my open carry-on. She had my (still-wrapped) Trader Joe's chocolate bar in her mouth. She is blind, but obviously still has an operational sniffer.

Great shot, Jackie. That's quite a set of whiskers!

Edited by Mr Rumor

Thanks for the well wishes. I finally figured out that my luggage becomes over packed the night before we leave when I begin stuffing things in ...... just in case (not sure in case of what:-)

Heard from Zaldy on the Mariner this morning. He must have put the date on his calendar. He is an amazing man (and server). I have posted before that his daughter graduated college last year and his son will graduate in the near future. All of this because of his job on Regent! He did mention that they have a "lady" G.M. from England. We have dinner in Signatures the first night..... wonder if I can talk Dennis into cancelling so I can see Zaldy. When we aren't with him, we are with the other "Dennis". We met Dennis on the Navigator several years ago. He may be the most popular of the servers - great sense of humor (and he knows magic tricks that he rarely has time to do any more).

Here I am babbling again -- just excitement. Off to get my nails done....... our flight doesn't leave until 8:50 p.m.

Safe travels!

Great picture Jackie, with Travelcat as your name it is only fitting your kitty is in the suitcase. Mine would leave white hairs all over my clothes. I have learned never leave the room with the suitcase open. I hope you all have a great time on your cruise and look forward to reading the board. Safe travel to all. Sue

Surefire recipe for an adrenaline surge: Learning at the ticketing counter that there is no record of your reservation!

Turned out that the booking code Regent supplied in its documents applies only to the two Lufthansa flights we'll be on, not our first flight, ABQ-DEN. There is a separate United code for this flight--except Regent didn't supply that code! We waited about 15 anxious minutes as Sylvia, our United agent, worked on our issue in fits and starts while dashing from kiosk to kiosk helping others (UA just happened to be two agents short this a.m.). Finally Sylvia and our TA, who we finally called, came up with the United booking code simultaneously.

All is calm now as we await to board our flight, but Regent gets a little raspberry on this one!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Off to a slow start. Our scheduled 8:50 p.m. flight has been delayed until 10:50 p.m. Fortunately British Airways has a lovely lounge in Vancouver. If all works well, our 4 hour layover at Heathrow will only be 2 hours. Looking at the bright side.

Just spent some time trying to register my DH on CC. Most "names" are already taken. Hopefully we will get it done when we are onboard.

More to follow........ eventually.

Guten morgen from Lufthansa Business Lounge B44 in the crazy maze known as Frankfort Airport (what a breakfast spread--too bad we're full!). All is well after a most enjoyable Lufthansa flight from Denver. Loved our seats in the third row (so spacious up front), enjoyed the attention of the four upbeat stewardesses in our section, and was pleasantly surprised by the Santa Fe themed dining offerings--crab salad with julienne poblano and green mole vinaigrette, followed by red "chili" (we spell it "chile" in the Land of Enchantment) grilled gulf shrimp and seared scallops with black bean risotto. We slept well despite some turbulence about five hours into the flight. Ready now for our last leg: FRA-IST!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Greetings from the Heathrow terminal 5 lounge. Time currently 5:45 pm We slept through most of the flight. Nice food and service. We enjoy being upstairs on BA's 747. We depart to Istanbul in an hour. Just a bit worn out. Looking forward to a shower and good bed.

We made it!

We love our room on the fourteenth floor of the Intercontinental Istanbul. We walked in about 7:45 p.m., just in time to take in a marvelous view of the Bosphorus in the waning light. There are 340 Regent passengers staying at the Intercontinental, by the way.

According to the local rep who accompanied us on our bus, Istanbul boasts an official population of 14 million, an "unofficial" population of 18 million--and 6 million cars. I know we saw thousands of those vehicles as our driver negotiated, as best he could, the teeming streets of this city. It took about an hour for us to wend our way to the hotel from the airport.

The rep delivered some commentary as we drove, including on the matter of the Syrian refugees. "You will see many of them," she said, "We have two million." She added this caution: "Please don't give them any money. If you give even 50 cents, hundreds more will come." I have no doubt this will not be the last time we'll hear about the refugee situation on this cruise.

We are still full from all the Lufthansa meals and snacks, so we're content to stay put in our room tonight. Plus we have an 8:30 a.m. departure on the 4.5 hour "Exclusive Tour and Transfer to Ship." Highlights will include a drive across the Bosphorus to the Asian section of the city, and visits to the Blue Mosque and the Grand Bazaar. Then let the Mariner adventure begin!

Rich

We arrived in Istanbul ahead of schedule on Turkish airlines. Very comfortable flight after I figured out how to work the seat. The food was probably the best we have had on any flight . George's initial wine choice was off, but quickly corrected. I never did figure out how to work the movie system, but am reading an interesting book so it didn't matter. I got a really good sleep.

Our driver was at the airport to pick us up, but traffic was terrible so it took an hour to get to our hotel which is the Hilton Bomonti. Very nice new hotel. We have not stayed here before, but I highly recommend. The room is everything one would want. Due to George's Hilton honors status, we had access to the executive lounge in the 34 th floor, where there was a huge spread of food and drink. So much we had no need to go out for dinner. So when you count that in, an exceptional deal money wise. Food was Turkish, which we love, and very fresh high quality.

We arrived in Istanbul ahead of schedule on Turkish airlines. Very comfortable flight after I figured out how to work the seat. The food was probably the best we have had on any flight . George's initial wine choice was off, but quickly corrected. I never did figure out how to work the movie system, but am reading an interesting book so it didn't matter. I got a really good sleep.

Our driver was at the airport to pick us up, but traffic was terrible so it took an hour to get to our hotel which is the Hilton Bomonti. Very nice new hotel. We have not stayed here before, but I highly recommend. The room is everything one would want. Due to George's Hilton honors status, we had access to the executive lounge in the 34 th floor, where there was a huge spread of food and drink. So much we had no need to go out for dinner. So when you count that in, an exceptional deal money wise. Food was Turkish, which we love, and very fresh high quality.

We will be in Istanbul Oct '16 and I am really enjoying reading all of these posts. I look forward to reading many more as the cruise progresses! You have all done such a great job so far I feel like I have a clear insight on what to expect on our trip next year:)

Happy sailing to you all!

Hi all. We have been having a marvelous time in Cappadocia and am so thrilled with everything set up by and through Regent so far. Weather has been beautiful. We are getting ready to leave Cappa soon to head back to Istanbul to tour Topkapi and visit the Grand Bazaar. We did love Cappadocia, too much to decribe for me to write now! I have over eaten and overspent already! Bought both a Turkish rug and pottery yesterday. My wallet better stay in my pocket today at the Bazaar. Can't wait to see everyone soon on board the Mariner!

FreeMaggie: Glad you had a great Cappadocia experience! Maybe we'll run into you at the Grand Bazaar, the last stop on our Istanbul excursion today. Just look for the guy with the bulging belly--the Turkish-theme buffet at the Intercontinental was just outstanding, and I ate more than my share!

Rich

After a good nights sleep, and a wonderful Turkish buffet breakfast, we relaxed until 11:40. I wanted to board at about 12:30. The taxi took us very quickly to the port, thanks to a new tunnel which avoids most of the traffic, so we arrived at 12:00.

Checking was extremely quick with no line at all. They have a new cruise terminal building. I must admit, I miss the old one. It was circa 1930 and so evocative of old Istanbul. Not very functional by modern standards, but it was just cool to embark there.

We went to lunch in La veranda, and immediately met up with Jackie and Dennis. A nice Turkish buffet was outside, and regular stuff inside. I am full and ready for our suite.

Internet is fine so far.

Rachel, it sounds like you had a dream morning and check-in.

The Istanbul excursion was a mixed bag for me, mainly because of the nearly two hours at the end to either hang around the Regent-endorsed rug merchant, Matis (jewelry, leather products also for sale), or explore the Bazaar. Tiring, and I got a little cranky. By the time we finally made it on to the ship, past 1:30, there was about a 20 minute wait to check in. Finally got into La Veranda a little past two for a light meal. We were in our room by 3, but no luggage. We found our two suitcases among a long row of suitcases in the hallway. As there was no sign of a crew member, I took matters into my own hands. Luckily for me, Ginny enjoys unpacking, so that's what she's doing as I type this. Mandatory lifeboat drill in 30 minutes, then I look forward to freshening up and having a light dinner with Gin in Compass Rose. Also look forward to meeting all my blogging companions--if not tonight, at our Meet and Greet tomorrow morning at 11 in the Observation Lounge!

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

We arrived in Istanbul at 1:00 a.m. and were transferred to the Ceylan Intercontinental Hotel. At such a late hour, we were the only people in the van and there was no traffic. There was also very few people in line at the airport for customs. However, there are tons of people in Istanbul. Without crossing the line and becoming political, the reports in the United States about Istanbul may be accurate in some way but overblown in others. Istanbul is as lovely, safe and beautiful as it has always been (note: our forth visit to Istanbul).

We arrived at the hotel at 2:00 a.m. Because the hotel was full, we were upgraded to a 1 bedroom 1 1/2 bathroom suite - really huge. We were overtired and, although I slept for a 3-4 hours, my DH did not. The buffet breakfast was wonderful - we had our Turkish favorites ("simit" being one of them........ sort of a bagel but a bit harder with browned sesame seeds on top).

Rather than taking the tour that Rich did, we took a cab to the ship at 11:00 a.m. (cost...... around $7 but paid in Turkish Lira).

We boarded the ship around 11:45 a.m. and recognized some of the crew immediately. "Risky" gave us the first big smile and hug followed by Donald (F&B Director) and others. Those of you that do not understand how wonderful it is to be greeted so warmly.......... well..... I simply cannot explain the warm feeling.

Great lunch and then on to see our Grand Suite (upsell from two weeks ago). Our butler, Raju remembered us from past cruises and is now "Head Butler" (so happy for him). We are extremely tired but that is to be expected I suppose.

We recognized Rachael's DH by his "hat" and "boots". Before even telling her who I was I asked if I could give her a hug (thankfully she agreed). She has been the voice of reason on the Regent board for a long time and she is as great in person as on the boards.

Tonight, after stopping by CR to see Zaldy and Dennis, we dined in Signatures (not usually our favorite dining venue). Risky was our server. When Signatures was Le Cordon Bleu, it had the best mushroom soup in the world (IMHO). Since then it has been fine - not great. Tonight was the best it has been since Le Cordon Bleu left. My DH had halibut (excellent) and I had rack of lamb (excellent +).

Now going up to bed and am very happy that tomorrow is a sea day. Our Meet and Greet is at 11:00 a.m. and we will definitely be there.

P.S. "Z", we found Olga in the Observation Lounge. What a wonderful person she is. She did share with us what a pain in the "butt" you were (okay - I made that up). She loves you guys. Looking forward to spending a lot more time with her during this cruise.

Edited by Travelcat2

We did indeed have the dream embarkation.

I unpacked while George took a nap. Then muster drill.

I had a good 1 hr walk about afterward to burn off calories. We have a big wedding in 4 weeks, and I cannot gain a single pound.

Dinner in signatures was outstanding. We saw Jackie and Dennis. The lobster salad is lovely. Mushroom soup is delicious and lighter than in the old days of Le Cordon Bleu, which is a good thing. I had the open lobster ravioli. It was a different preparation than previously, now having some big scallops as well as lobster. It was very nice, but I think I prefer the previous which was just lobster and mushroom.

The cheese trolley is gone. It you order cheese, it is now preplated. The cheese was great, but I prefer the trolley where you could pick and choose.

George is tired, and there is no show tonight so off to bed.