Hot Spots and Headlines: A Mariner Mediterranean Joint Live Blog

Mr Rumor

Most moving part of the day for me was at the wailing wall, seeing people from all nations in prayer.

When we were in the square next to the wall in May this year I approached a man who I took to be a an orthodox jewish local to ask him about the origins of his fur hat (the shtreimel?)

It turned out that he was actually from Stamford Hill in London (only 40 miles from where we live) and visits Jerusalem twice a year to give thanks for the success of his businesses in the UK :)

The saddest part of our visit to Israel was to see the continuing political/religious tensions in the country :( Having to go through three checkpoints and change guides to visit Bethlehem is a very sad reflection on human nature

Glad to hear that you are all having an enjoyable cruise. We have Mariner 'withdrawal symptoms' :eek:

To end for the evening, a few Musings from Moshe, our guide today:

On the slowing down of the Israeli economy due to some European countries now boycotting Israeli products: "The Europeans feel they are doing good for the Palistinians with the boycott, but actually the boycott is costing Arab jobs. It's silly!"

On the mayhem that Israelis as well as Palistinians inflict on one another: "Neither side is pure. We do these stupid things to one another."

On the greening of Israel with native trees (i.e. olive and oak, rather than more pine trees): "My father planted, I planted, my children planted and my grandchildren will plant. We will go on until we make this country green."

On his monthly outings with his nine grandchildren: "I walk the land with them, even though they might want them to be doing something else. I show them the plants and flowers. They need to learn about their country."

On the Israeli mindset: "We are not afraid. What can be done to us that hasn't already been done?"

Edited by Mr Rumor

You know you're excited when you have a 4:45 a.m. wake up call and you wake up on your own at 3 a.m. raring to go! So, I have a few minutes to post.

Wanted, first, to thank you Linda (mudhen) and John for your check-in. I love knowing about fellow RVL (Royal Viking Line) lovers, and look forward to the day we meet. Am very interested in hearing about your Skald Club connection of goodies. As you might imagine I have a few precious RVL collectibles that I'll tell you about. I just wish as a young'un working for RVL that I would have had more of a clue that I would someday look back on that experience as one of the happiest in my life. I would have held on to more RVL stuff!

Peggy, I'll be sure to say hi to Elda (Assistant Cruise Director) for you. How did you know she is one of our favorites (and so sweet with Shauna)? Please keep checking in--glad you continue to enjoy our joint blog.

A few more Haifa/"Day in Jerusalem" notes. Boy, did we luck out yesterday, weather-wise. Warm, but not too hot, and not a cloud in the sky all day. And clear. I mention "clear" because a week earlier Israel was plagued by a weeklong dust storm "It was HORRENDOUS!" Moshe, our tour guide, exclaimed. "You literally couldn't see 50 feet in front of you."

Also, Moshe told us how lucky we were to be doing our tour on Shabat. We could actually see how lucky we were, as we breezed down to Jerusalem from Haifa with very little traffic. The traffic was so light that Moshe directed Victor, our driver, to alter his route so that we could drive through a portion of Tel Aviv. "Tomorrow it will be bumper to bumper here," he declared at one spot. About the city of 500,000, he declared: "It's like a little New York--an amazing town. You will find here the highest of culture to things that appeal to the lowest needs of mankind."

One observation I wanted to share--Israel is obviously in the midst of a building boom. I lost track of how many big construction projects I saw, with huge cranes dominating the various scenes. Regarding the economy, Moshe noted that the military spending used to comprise 25% of the GDP, but now makes up only 8% because the economy is doing OK. He talked about the booming diamond business (Israel is known for its "fancy" diamond shapes, he said), and how well the high-tech sector is doing.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

Our guide also remarked on how lucky we were to be in Jerusalem on the Sabbath. We too got some add on sites as we had extra time.

Mordecai also expressed his appreciation that we were visiting his country. He said " we Israelis are not unaware that many of your friends and family think you are (and here he used a Hebrew term that I think means "crazy" or "out of your mind") to visit here at this time."

You know you're excited when you have a 4:45 a.m. wake up call and you wake up on your own at 3 a.m. raring to go! So, I have a few minutes to post.

Wanted, first, to thank you Linda (mudhen) and John for your check-in. I love knowing about fellow RVL (Royal Viking Line) lovers, and look forward to the day we meet. Am very interested in hearing about your Skald Club connection of goodies. As you might imagine I have a few precious RVL collectibles that I'll tell you about. I just wish as a young'un working for RVL that I would have had more of a clue that I would someday look back on that experience as one of the happiest in my life. I would have held on to more RVL stuff!

Peggy, I'll be sure to say hi to Elda (Assistant Cruise Director) for you. How did you know she is one of our favorites (and so sweet with Shauna)? Please keep checking in--glad you continue to enjoy our joint blog.

A few more Haifa/"Day in Jerusalem" notes. Boy, did we luck out yesterday, weather-wise. Warm, but not too hot, and not a cloud in the sky all day. And clear. I mention "clear" because a week earlier Israel was plagued by a weeklong dust storm "It was HORRENDOUS!" Moshe, our tour guide, exclaimed. "You literally couldn't see 50 feet in front of you."

Also, Moshe told us how lucky we were to be doing our tour on Shabat. We could actually see how lucky we were, as we breezed down to Jerusalem from Haifa with very little traffic. The traffic was so light that Moshe directed Victor, our driver, to alter his route so that we could drive through a portion of Tel Aviv. "Tomorrow it will be bumper to bumper here," he declared at one spot. About the city of 500,000, he declared: "It's like a little New York--an amazing town. You will find here the highest of culture to things that appeal to the lowest needs of mankind."

One observation I wanted to share--Israel is obviously in the midst of a building boom. I lost track of how many big construction projects I saw, with huge cranes dominating the various scenes. Regarding the economy, Moshe noted that the military spending used to comprise 25% of the GDP, but now makes up only 8% because the economy is doing OK. He talked about the booming diamond business (Israel is known for its "fancy" diamond shapes, he said), and how well the high-tech sector is doing.

Rich

This young country has achieved so much and thank God and continues to do so.

Thank you for visiting and thank you for your wonderful reports. I look forward to your continued colorful comments on Regent Mariner as well as the ports you visit.

It's now Sunday, so yesterday we also took a trip to Jerusalem. We had a rather younger guide than other posters, Eyal, who was excellent, brilliant English, and a fun approach. Our trip didn't involve as much walking, so we didn't traverse the whole of the old city. We had some great views from different places around the city, and our walk to the Western Wall was only through the nearest gate. The Wall really is as amazing as everyone says, and it's quite a surprise that no one seems to mind Gentiles being at the wall. This is one of the more amazing things about Israel - the tolerance shown to us and each other.

On the other hand, they don't want to talk about the Palestinian areas. We came back to Haifa on a road that skirted the wall, but it wasn't possible to get an answer, even when there was a checkpoint on the road we were on. It is a lovely country, the people are great, but there is a feeling of unease beneath it all.

Back on the ship, we went to the evening show by Seana Lee, the resident pianist in the Observation lounge pre-dinner. Apparently she was asked only a voyage or so ago if she'd like to do a cabaret spot, and she agreed. She is really good and engaged with the rather small audience really well, especially the men near the front. The old handshake or a word, even a kiss on the top of the head - unfortunately I still have to much hair for that.

We had also been at Jamie's show the night before. It's a great act and his voice is really good. He comes from England, and it sounded as if he might come from Yorkshire, as we all like to talk about it when we do. And a boy chorister at King's College, Cambridge too.

Tonight is the second show by the team and we are very much looking forward to it.

Edited by MikeD1000
Hadn't finished the sentence

We had to be up bright early again for our second day in Israel, what with most all the tours leaving between 6 and 7 am. They did offer the champagne and caviar brunch starting at 5 am, but George and I skipped it to get another 45 minutes sleep.

Starting the tours early was good because it was still relatively cool, with temps rising to the 90s by afternoon. We were on the Sea of Galilee and Nazareth tour. Again there were 30 passengers along with a crew member and today's guide Michael. We went to the Jordan River, the hill where Jesus gave the sermon on the mount (really a hill rather than a mountain and right beside the Sea of Galilee which is a lake rather than a sea), the site of the feeding of the 5000, Caperneum, and Nazareth.

Michael asked at the beginning if anyone had a Bible. I have a copy on my iPhone, so I was honored to be asked to read the Scripture of the sermon on the mount and the feeding of the 5000 at their respective sites. Very meaningful for me.

We had another delicious lunch at a kibbutz with lots of fresh salads, roast chicken, hummus, really good bread and desserts. Israeli wine was included, or you could get beer or soft drinks. And plenty of bottled water, of course.

There was a bit more shopping time today than I prefer, and I would have just as soon skipped the visit to the diamond store in Tiberius (though the owner had been to Tulsa and actually knew the jeweler friend of ours who helped George procure my "big" diamond-crazy coincidence). Tiberius is a sister city of Tulsa, which I knew but had forgotten.

Traffic was pretty intense getting back to the ship, again showing us why it was a good thing we had an early start. The Oceania ship had arrived while we were gone and was docked alongside the Mariner.

Our air conditioning is still not working right, though I think part of the problem is the fact that thus far, our sliding glass doors face the west in the afternoon, so the sun just bakes us. Now that we are going north more or less, rather than south, I am hoping the issue will at least partially be solved. George has complained again.

Tonight is the Seven Seas party, and the JAR singers and dancers are doing another show. Fortunately we also get to set our clocks back an hour, as tomorrow is another long day.

We set sail at 5:20, about 50 minutes late, due to the late return of a couple of passengers and various crew members who had gone on one of the crew tours. Should not be a problem, as we're only about 160 nautical miles from Port Said. Captain Theo is hoping to pick up the pilot no later than 4 a.m. due to the need to skirt the heavy Suez Canal traffic. We should be docked no later than 5ish. Soon after that our long-anticipated Egypt adventure will begin.

Orchestrapal, I liked your comment about Israel as a young country achieving so much. It reminded me of another of Moshe's Musings: "We're a country of dreamers with the chutzpah to follow our dreams."

I will need time to properly absorb all that Ginny and I took in on our two days in Israel, For now, regarding our excursion today, "Nazareth & the Sea of Galilee," take the Mt. Carmel scenic stop and add Nazareth and the Church of the Annunciation, where Mary learned she was going to have a son; the Church of St. Joseph; the Jordan River; the Mt. of Beatitudes, where Jesus blessed his disciples (Matthew 5:25); the ruins of the village of Capernaum, where Jesus turned water into wine; Tabga and the Church of Heptapega, where Jesus fed 5,000; a fresh and bountiful kibbutz lunch and, finally, the expert commentary of Ravi, a 28-year veteran, and the result is one phenomenal excursion experience. Although the temperature soared past 100 degrees by the afternoon, our hardy group of 36 hung in there. I think most of us appreciated the fact that we were making memories for the rest of our lives.

Dave and rayjames7, thanks for your nice words. Peggy, Elda was delighted to receive your greeting and responded with a "Please give Peggy my best regards!"

Time now to work up an appetite for dinner--that was some feast at the Ginosar kibbutz!

Rich

I really enjoy reading everyone's blog posts. Keep them coming.

Rachel, my guess is that your guide used the Yiddish term "Meshuga." It means crazy person. :D

Meshugah is firstly a Hebrew word which like many others was borrowed by Yiddish. ( and never returned)

Chutzpah falls in the same category in case anyone wonders. Thanks Rich.

Edited by orchestrapal

Wow - really enjoyed reading about Rachael, Rich and Mike's excursions. As I mentioned previously, we did excursions out of Jerusalem 3 years ago. We decided to return to a kibbutz on our excursion (it sounds like Rachel had a better buffet than we did although ours was fine). Not much has changed since we were last there. Mordecai was our guide - sounds like the same person Rachel had yesterday.

There are so many tired passengers on the ship that Compass Rose was half-empty (or half-full) - even though it was after a Seven Seas Society party. We gave up going to Seven Seas parties a while ago but received a phone call from the Cruise Consultant asking if we would be there. There are no "Titanium" members on board and only nine "Platinum's". Since we are Platinum, he asked if we would attend and if it would be okay to announce our names and acknowledge us. Of course we said yes (as did the others). It was nice.

Tonight's menu had our favorite dish - Miso Glazed Sea Bass. It was amazing (as was the Foie Gras ravioli appetizer).

The one thing that Israeli'ls want people to know is that what you read in the newspaper or see on television does not represent what is going on in Israel. Things appear quite normal and safe. Israel has the most sophisticated security that we have seen - very impressive. Two places we visited today were on the borders of Syria and Jordan. At the spot we visited, there has not been one attempt by a Syrian to cross into Israel for years. It should be noted that the land where the kibbutz is was once part of Syria. Their bunkers and land mines still exist in Israel and I suppose there is a possibility that Syria will try to reclaim their land at some point. If we had gone 50 kilometers further in the Golan Heights area, safety would have been more of an issue. For now, life is quite normal for Israeli's.

It was surprising to learn that conscription into the army is not as strict as it once was. Women can serve less time than previously and religious women do not have to serve at all. The "normal" course of events for a young person after high school is to serve in the army (3 years for men - 2 for women). Then time is taken to travel and then enter the university. The average age of a freshman in college is 24.

Yesterday we noticed that the shuttle bus Regent hired had both an Israeli and American flag in the bus. We noted several recognizable stores in Israel including Ikea and Office Max. Of course there are McDonald's. A while back the government began requiring McDonald's to purchase their potatoes from Israeli growers. So, they had their special type of potato planted here and that is what they use.

Oceania's Riviera was docked with us today. Since we sailed on her before, we did not seek permission to visit the ship but will do so when we dock with the Nautica in November.

Edited by Travelcat2

Within the hour the SS Mariner will be docking in Port Said.

There were times, including as recently as a week ago (Google: "Egypt Mexican Tourists") that I thought this day would not come.

Even yesterday, our soft-spoken guide, Rafi, was blunt in his comment on Egypt and tourism today: "Tourism used to be No. 1 for Egypt. Today it is dead."

But, in fact, Mariner will be docking in Port Said in a matter of minutes, the only cruise ship today to do so, and only one of four cruise ships scheduled to do so the rest of this year. (Alexandria, our stop tomorrow, fares slightly better, with seven ships due to dock by the end of 2015.)

I would be lying if I didn't admit to a small degree of apprehension about visiting Egypt at this time. But I am excited, too. I haven't been to this part of the world since 1977, and Ginny will be seeing Egypt and the Pyramids for the first time. As long as I've been married to her, she has been an Egypt history buff.

So, finally, we've made it to Egypt together. Let the day, and the adventure, begin.

Rich

Edited by Mr Rumor

We had to be up bright early again for our second day in Israel, what with most all the tours leaving between 6 and 7 am. They did offer the champagne and caviar brunch starting at 5 am, but George and I skipped it to get another 45 minutes sleep.

Starting the tours early was good because it was still relatively cool, with temps rising to the 90s by afternoon. We were on the Sea of Galilee and Nazareth tour. Again there were 30 passengers along with a crew member and today's guide Michael. We went to the Jordan River, the hill where Jesus gave the sermon on the mount (really a hill rather than a mountain and right beside the Sea of Galilee which is a lake rather than a sea), the site of the feeding of the 5000, Caperneum, and Nazareth.

To the Jewish mind in Biblical times, the sea represented evil. So in Scripture, the sea was used ti symbolize the forces of evil in much the same way that a shepherd, rock, and living water were used to represent God.

Sorrow looks back,. Worry looks around. Faith looks up

Sea of Galilee reminds me just as Jesus stilled the storms, demonstrating His power over the natural world, he also takes charge of our ragging struggles. Even though God is always with us and watching us, He sometimes allows us to struggle, just as He allowed the disciples to struggle against the waves.

Did you know more miracles happened in the vicinity of the Sea of Galiliee than any other place in Jesus' ministry?

Michael asked at the beginning if anyone had a Bible. I have a copy on my iPhone, so I was honored to be asked to read the Scripture of the sermon on the mount and the feeding of the 5000 at their respective sites. Very meaningful for me.

An awesome memory to have read "The beatitudes." You might mark this date in your Bible when you get home.

We had another delicious lunch at a kibbutz with lots of fresh salads, roast chicken, hummus, really good bread and desserts. Israeli wine was included, or you could get beer or soft drinks. And plenty of bottled water, of course.

There was a bit more shopping time today than I prefer, and I would have just as soon skipped the visit to the diamond store in Tiberius (though the owner had been to Tulsa and actually knew the jeweler friend of ours who helped George procure my "big" diamond-crazy coincidence). Tiberius is a sister city of Tulsa, which I knew but had forgotten.

Traffic was pretty intense getting back to the ship, again showing us why it was a good thing we had an early start. The Oceania ship had arrived while we were gone and was docked alongside the Mariner.

Our air conditioning is still not working right, though I think part of the problem is the fact that thus far, our sliding glass doors face the west in the afternoon, so the sun just bakes us. Now that we are going north more or less, rather than south, I am hoping the issue will at least partially be solved. George has complained again.

Tonight is the Seven Seas party, and the JAR singers and dancers are doing another show. Fortunately we also get to set our clocks back an hour, as tomorrow is another long day.

Thank you for sharing so many great experiences. It is almost like returning to Jerusalem in my mind. I look forward to hearing about Egypt. We had never traveled there. Perhaps one day.

Shalom

Yes, Jackie, your guide yesterday was the same Mordecai as we had the day previous. We saw him take your tickets, and I said to George that is was jealous because you had Mordecai today.

Last night's JAR show was good, not as good as the first one, but not because of any fault of the performer's. I just preferred the style of music in the first.

Had a wonderful dinner last evening with a really nice couple from California who we met at the block party. We took 3 hrs to eat, but it was totally by choice. The red wine on offer was a very weak Pinot noir which just had no depth. We asked the sommelier for a different one, and he brought out a Cabernet which was much better.

Today we are off to the pyramids. I too, like Rich, thought this port would not happen and also have some apprehension.

Did any of you receive a button on tour having the Hebrew word ha Chet-zi? It means "the half" and comes from the following message.

When the Queen of Sheba perceived all the wisdom of Solomon, the house that he had built, the food of his table, the seating of his servants, the attendance of his waiters and their attire, his cupbearer and his stairway by which he went up to the house of the LORD, there was no more spirit in her. Then she said to the king. "it was a true report which I heard in my own land about your words and your wisdom. Nevertheless I did not believe the reports, until I came and my eyes had seen it. And behold, the half was not told to me."

Sounds like many of you experienced ha Chet-zi moments!

Within the hour the SS Mariner will be docking in Port Said.

There were times, including as recently as a week ago (Google: "Egypt Mexican Tourists") that I thought this day would not come.

Even yesterday, our soft-spoken guide, Rafi, was blunt in his comment on Egypt and tourism today: "Tourism used to be No. 1 for Egypt. Today it is dead."

But, in fact, Mariner will be docking in Port Said in a matter of minutes, the only cruise ship today to do so, and only one of four cruise ships scheduled to do so the rest of this year. (Alexandria, our stop tomorrow, fares slightly better, with seven ships due to dock by the end of 2015.)

I would be lying if I didn't admit to a small degree of apprehension about visiting Egypt at this time. But I am excited, too. I haven't been to this part of the world since 1977, and Ginny will be seeing Egypt and the Pyramids for the first time. As long as I've been married to her, she has been an Egypt history buff.

So, finally, we've made it to Egypt together. Let the day, and the adventure, begin.

Rich

Enjoy your day and be safe.

Did any of you receive a button on tour having the Hebrew word ha Chet-zi? It means "the half" and comes from the following message.

When the Queen of Sheba perceived all the wisdom of Solomon, the house that he had built, the food of his table, the seating of his servants, the attendance of his waiters and their attire, his cupbearer and his stairway by which he went up to the house of the LORD, there was no more spirit in her. Then she said to the king. "it was a true report which I heard in my own land about your words and your wisdom. Nevertheless I did not believe the reports, until I came and my eyes had seen it. And behold, the half was not told to me."

Sounds like many of you experienced ha Chet-zi moments!

Thank you for posting the explanation regarding "Chet-zi". So interesting. We did not receive a button with those words - wish we had!

We did not take the long bus ride into Cairo since we visited there before. For various reasons there are more people that did not take tours today than the past couple of days. We will take a horse-drawn carriage ride in Port Said but even getting off of the ship causes a bit of apprehension. Will report back later on this.

The computers in the computer room that have been missing since we boarded were replaced today. One elevator is still out but the one with a mind of its' own was worked on last night and is now following instructions instead of playing "open door - close door - open door - close door".

Another lovely day on the Mariner!

As I am new baby to the forum you will have excuse my diaper. I have (attempted) to peruse all of you dissertations and comments and find them all amusing, informative, and decriptive. We all have a different perspective of what is taking place and and the interactions that "another cruise" brings with it. Once more, on the Mariner, is a homecoming for us. This our 21st sojourn with Regent and we have yet to remember how to 'navigate' each of the Regent Ships. Our 'welcome aboard' is a 'welcome home' and it is difficult to discern wich of us is more excited to see each other.

Opting to have dinner at Signatures on the first night of the cruise was a good decision. As can been seen by our other forum members, that meal was exemplarary. The Halibut was so perfect prepared that I had to barge into the kitchen to give my compliments to Louis the Sous Chef who was in the midst of checking each dish before it was served. The next day, Louis came up to me, while on the Pool Deck, to compliment me on my compliments to him. He was so well attired that I did not recognise him from wearing his Kitchen Apron, previously. Lovely fellow and obviously knows his forte. Incidentally, the Signatures mushroom soup was so improved that it came very close to the original Cordon Bleu recipe.

Got to go because there are two horses neighing at the outside of Port Said.

Edited by DenEsq

Just returned from a lovely excursion in Port Said. I believe that the other posters are in and around Cairo so I may be the only one that stayed near the ship. Our tour was in horse drawn carriages with only 3 stops (a 2 hour excursion). The main topic of the excursion was the Suez Canal since Port Said is at the entrance of the canal.

Although we sailed the Suez Canal only three years ago on the Voyager, the canal was redone and is now much larger. In the past, approximately 45 ships per day could transit the canal. Today 90 can make the passage and in less time. Previously only 6 ships could dock in the lake(?) or waiting area. Today there is room for 24 ships. Quite a change. When the Suez Canal was first built, 130,000 people were killed building it. The latest refurbishment/enlargement only took 1 year and had about 9 fatalities.

We also went to the war museum. There were American made tanks that were sold to Israel on display as well as part of missiles and other artilliary (officially called the Port Said Museum). Since, unlike WWII, I lived through the wars between Egypt, Israel, Britain, etc., it extremely interesting to hear/see the conflicts/wars through the eyes of the Egyptians.

During one of the many conflicts, Port Said was hit very hard and was a dangerous place to be (during the years that the Suez Canal was closed). When peace was restored, the government in Port Said told former residents of the city that, if they returned, they would no longer have to pay any taxes. Even today there are cars with yellow license plates. These are the people that do not pay taxes.

In terms of things today, there are few cruise ships still stopping in Port Said and it is definitely affecting the city. Unlike Cairo and Luxor, there are no beggars in the streets nor were there people being very pushy/forceful when trying to sell their wares. We did receive waves and smiles from many people as we slowly made our way down the streets. Security was very tight. We were pretty much surrounded by police cars that stopped traffic for us and carefully watched everything that was going on. We saw an armed tank on a side road and a couple of trucks with soldiers holding automatic weapons standing in the back....... just looking and watching.

On one hand, I would really like to go back outside and purchase a few things but on the other...... it is really too hot. I think we'll wait until we are in Alexandria to do some shopping. We are both very happy that we decided to do the excursion in Port Said. There is something about the Egyptian people that we have always appreciated. As with the Israeli's and Turkish people, I would so much like to see peace in this lovely region.

P.S. Rich, "........BritWit" didn't work. CC eventually found the name he used a couple of years ago so he is posting under that name...... above. The typos were my fault - I didn't notice them when I read what he wrote.