What Captain Kate McCue Packs for Her 10 Weeks

Host Walt

Here's a link to an interesting article in the Wall St Journal about what a Celebrity captain packs for her cruises.

What Captain Kate Carries Onboard

If that link doesn't work, try this one.

A Cruise Ship Captain Packs Light For 10 Weeks At Sea

This is a very sexist post. Does anyone make a big fuss about what male captains pack. She is to be judged on her ship management skills and not about what she packs.

DON

I read it some time ago (in the Wall Street Journal IIRC) and didn't think of it that way. On second thought you have a point. No one would write this about a male captain. I was amazed how little she packed but remember that uniforms are available onboard and wouldn't have to be packed. That's my excuse for needing two suitcases, anyway. Kudos to Celebrity for having a qualified female captain.

Hi Walt, thanks for the link and I found it quite interesting too and

NOT sexist at all. She was giving a description of what she packs...what

in the he$$ is sexist about that?:eek:

And the story of her choices about what she wanted to do in her life.

What is sexist about that?:confused: ......sounds like her Dad is cool:)

She is 37 years old.....so lets say, 30 years ago he told her

she could do/be anything she wanted:).......What is sexist about

that? Sound like a wonderful Father to me:)

Does there have to be something negative about EVERYTHING?:eek:

Edited by Lois R

The article was wonderful. I enjoyed the part about the marbles that she's distributing for a friend.

I believe it is the inflight magazine that Air Canada distributes each month where they showcase a business guest's luggage and contents. I like seeing what others pack, whether male or female.

There is a Q&A piece in Wall Street J this morning regarding what to pack in your carryon in case your bag is lost before boarding your cruise ship.

Why don't you copy & paste it here on cruise critic. Same for the article on Capt Kate. They charge for reading their paper on line, so I don't bother. :D

hi walt, thanks for the link and i found it quite interesting too and

not sexist at all. She was giving a description of what she packs...what

in the he$$ is sexist about that?:eek:

And the story of her choices about what she wanted to do in her life.

What is sexist about that?:confused: ......sounds like her dad is cool:)

she is 37 years old.....so lets say, 30 years ago he told her

she could do/be anything she wanted:).......what is sexist about

that? Sound like a wonderful father to me:)

does there have to be something negative about everything?:eek:

👍👍👍👍!!!!!!!

Nice article.

Karin Stahre-Janson has 8 years as Captain with RCCL. We had occasion to meet her on board Serenade of the Seas and she was very friendly and took time to chat a little. Capt. Lis Lauritzen became an RCCL captain in 2008

I think the latest press about Capt. Kate commented that she is the first American female captain? I believe Capt.Karin was the first female captain of a major cruise line and is Swedish. P&O Cruises and Cunard Line also have female captains but I do not think they are American.

Why don't you copy & paste it here on cruise critic. Same for the article on Capt Kate. They charge for reading their paper on line, so I don't bother. :D

Copy and pasting copyrighted material is both a violation of the copyright laws and a violation of our posting guidelines.

Copy and pasting copyrighted material is both a violation of the copyright laws and a violation of our posting guidelines.

Well, maybe someone who has access can give us the Cliff Notes version of it. :D:D:D

I have never seen a ship's Captain in anything other than their uniform. With regard to what "she" should pack, I guess underwear, socks/nylons, and uniforms. :rolleyes:

I thought it was an interesting article regardless if it was about a man or woman. I had no idea how one went about becoming a cruise ship captain. For all I knew, they only way was if you were in the military first. For any of us out there with kids or grandkids that might like to be a future cruise ship captain, this shows one path that they use to maybe someday become cruise ship captains, even as Americans. :eek:

This is a very sexist post. Does anyone make a big fuss about what male captains pack. She is to be judged on her ship management skills and not about what she packs.

DON

Relax, Don. If the article said "she's a good captain because she can pack light" and ignored her actual skills, it would be a valid point. But it doesn't; it's just a simple article about packing light. The fact that she's a captain at sea for 10 weeks at a time just adds an additional layer of interest to it.

Article says she is the first American Woman to captain a ship, according to Celebrity.

Is she the first American to Captain any ship for Celebrity? Whenever I hear a captain on Celebrity mentioned they all seem to be Greek (along with most of the senior officers).

It's pretty sexist. Rather than profiling her career and education the article quickly skimmed over that and went to the issue of what a girl would pack for 8 weeks. Essentially what the article is saying is 'hey look she's not a typical woman because looks she's doing a mans job and packs lightly!'

The information about her packing could reasonably included in an article but there is no reason for it to be the main angle other than if the article was written for a trade magazine that focuses exclusively on how maritime captains pack.

Thank you for sharing this article. My father was a merchant marine sea captain and one of my fondest childhood memories was watching him pack and especially unpack from his trips. He brought us back some of the most amazing treasures. But I guess the best thing he gave us was a love of travel.