NCL Hull painting

navybankerteacher

I love NCL's hull art, though I agree, some are nicer than others. Chalk me up as one who loves the Sun's - it is beautiful, and my favorite. I don't love Peter Max's on the Breakaway (the floating Liberty head is unintentionally hilarious and simultaneously a little disturbing). I like the Getaway and Escape's, as well as the Jewel class designs. The Sky's is very pretty, but was much in need of a touch up when I was on her in 2013. The Dawn's smile from the front always put a smile on my face when I saw her in port - also the art around the promenade deck was cool as it mirrored what location was on the inside.

I will also say that I, like many others, love the look of HAL and Disney's ships - that classic look is awesome, too.

I love NCL's hull art, though I agree, some are nicer than others. Chalk me up as one who loves the Sun's - it is beautiful, and my favorite. I don't love Peter Max's on the Breakaway (the floating Liberty head is unintentionally hilarious and simultaneously a little disturbing). I like the Getaway and Escape's, as well as the Jewel class designs. The Sky's is very pretty, but was much in need of a touch up when I was on her in 2013. The Dawn's smile from the front always put a smile on my face when I saw her in port - also the art around the promenade deck was cool as it mirrored what location was on the inside.

I will also say that I, like many others, love the look of HAL and Disney's ships - that classic look is awesome, too.

The hulls of Disney, Cunard, and Hal, reflect the look of classic ocean liners. But, as others have stated, interiors are more important

The hulls of Disney, Cunard, and Hal, reflect the look of classic ocean liners. But, as others have stated, interiors are more important

I have to admit I think Cunard and HAL do have it spot on.. I always think Disney got the idea but just couldn't help spoiling it ;)

Boston does have a good point though - One problem with NCLs art is if its starting to wear out it looks bad.

What do you think about the decoration on the forward part of NCL ships hulls?

A) Think they add to cruise mood/experience in some way.

B) Think they are a silly waste of paint/money.

C) Couldn't care less.

Beats haze grey;). It does make it easier to pick out your ship if you've been over long at Senor Frogs.

I am interested in these responses to my original question: I am clearly in the minority here as I find the look reminiscent of the graffiti on New York City's old subway cars. The question occurred to me as I just recently booked a NCL cruise - while thinking about how much more I prefer the classic look of Cunard and HAL ships. It is good to be reminded that I will not have to see it when on board.

I am interested in these responses to my original question: I am clearly in the minority here as I find the look reminiscent of the graffiti on New York City's old subway cars. The question occurred to me as I just recently booked a NCL cruise - while thinking about how much more I prefer the classic look of Cunard and HAL ships. It is good to be reminded that I will not have to see it when on board.

Let's be honest - if the inside space of a cruise ship is ugly as sin, you think a outside paint job on a hull is going to make the inside look any better...[emoji52]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Let's be honest - if the inside space of a cruise ship is ugly as sin, you think a outside paint job on a hull is going to make the inside look any better...[emoji52]

It's been a while since my last NCL cruise, but as I recall the interiors were not much to write home about either. In any event it is the particular itinerary, rather than decor, which has brought me back to NCL.

It's been a while since my last NCL cruise, but as I recall the interiors were not much to write home about either. In any event it is the particular itinerary, rather than decor, which has brought me back to NCL.

If I had to choose between the Ikea super grey decorum of my workplace over the colorful Ikea decorum of NCL or gaudy /loud of Carnival - the cruise lines will win each time. Why? Because its vacation and not work, I'm willing to put up with that. [emoji1]

I personally hate the Hull art. I think it looks very tacky. It does not effect me much at all because I cant see it most of the time, but pictures in front of the ship are not as nice as they could be due to the Graffiti like appearance of the ships. I much prefer the look of a darker ship for a sense of elegance.

6&8

Local artist here in Miami, David " Lebo" Le Batard did the design for the Getaway. Since NCL is out of Miami it is nice to have a local artist connected with a ship.

We like the colorful designs and certainly make the ships stand out. Great marketing to draw attention to the brand name.

I personally hate the Hull art. I think it looks very tacky. It does not effect me much at all because I cant see it most of the time, but pictures in front of the ship are not as nice as they could be due to the Graffiti like appearance of the ships. I much prefer the look of a darker ship for a sense of elegance.

6&8

Yeah. I think I was "ruined" by our first cruises being DCL. I love the look of their ships.

I also think "The Love Boat" fed into a less-is-more mental image for hoe ships should look.

Hate it. I think it makes the ships look tacky and cheap.:eek:

I remember pulling alongside the Dawn for the 1st time, and along with the plastic palm trees the paint work put me off sailing NCL for years.

But then there was the french comentator who hated the Eiffel tower that much he went there every day for lunch. As it was the only place in Paris where he couldn't see it.:D