Do American Need A Passport...

tim22361

I agree 100% with FLACRUISER99. Anyone who cruises without a passport is taking an unnecessary and stupid risk. If you can afford to cruise/vacation, you can afford the passport. If not, consider a land vacation within the USA.

Sue/WDW1972

Add me to the list of people who recommend getting a passport. It isn't required if you're on a closed-loop cruise (begin and end at the same port). But if something happens, like an illness or hurricane that causes you to fly home from a port instead of finishing the cruise, it's a lot easier if you've got a passport.

It isn't difficult to get one. Many post offices are set up to handle the process.

Consider it an investment in travel--it will be good for 10 years.

Okay, I'm sold. Now forgive my ignorance, but what is the difference in a passport and a Visa?

Your passport is your basic travel document. It gets you into other countries and back into the US. Some, but not all, countries require a visa as an additional travel document. For example, as a US citizen, your passport is all you need to get into the UK. But to go to Australia you need your passport and a visa.

Your passport will be issued by the US. A visa is issued by the country that requires it.

....for Caribbean cruises?

I would check with HAL. I have been seeing notes that Passports are required on some cruises, even closed loop in the Caribbean. (I think I saw for cruises stopping at St Barts, but don't quote me on it) Never the less remember if you only use your BC and ID you can not fly home if you need to with just that id.

Think of it this way. A Passport is issued by your own country and is an internationally accepted form of Identification that says who you are, your age, and your country. A Visa is issued by some countries that you might visit and Visa rules are based on each countries own rules. For US Passport holders you do not need a Visa in the Caribbean, Mexico or Canada. You also do not usually need a Visa for short visits to most of Western Europe. But if you go to Russia, China, Brazil, or even Australia you would need to apply for a Visa from those countries (and a lot more countries around the world).

Hank

....for Caribbean cruises?

For the most part, what's been posted is correct.

The mininum legal requirement for US citizens on a closed-loop cruise out of a US port, visiting ports in the Western Hemisphere, is a birth certificate plus, for those 16 and over, a government-issued photo ID.

There are some cruise lines (generally the more luxury class ones) that require a passport, regardless of the legal requirement.

It's best to check with your cruise line for what they require. Sometimes they will say "a passport is recommended", but that doesn't mean required.

But, I agree, a passport is really the best way to go. Just not necessarily required.

Edited by Shmoo here

For the most part, what's been posted is correct.

It's best to check with your cruise line for what they require. Sometimes they will say "a passport is recommended", but that doesn't mean required.

But, I agree, a passport is really the best way to go. Just not necessarily required.

You can also check current visa and passport requirements including months to expiration, how many blank pages needed, etc., for any country at this web site:

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/general/americans-traveling-abroad.html

A Passport is not required for closed loop Caribbean cruises that return to the same port. However you will need one if you have to fly home. I strongly recommend you have one.

I agree 100%! Better to be safe than sorry and it only takes 4-6 weeks to get by mail - less if you pay extra.

Hello "tm22361"

I’m always impressed when I read something like the question of the original poster;

Here in Europe no one really think a second about to travel with a birth-certificate. Because it is the last and almost never requested paper one do has to show. And such certificate do has (if any) a picture from the nativity – and not with the 'actual view'

-> I'm 63, and the only time I did have to present it, was for my wedding in 1977:)

For any travel inside the home country – and inside of the European Union, we can drive, fly with just our ID-Card

But elsewhere, a at the least 6 month valid Passport is for our understanding indeed mandatory to go with ;)

Please do not misunderstand me, but such kind of question is strange for us.

Happy cruising

G E R D

The Prinsendam Holiday cruise stops at St. Barts. They require a passport for U.S. Citizens. It is show on the itinerary with code PR which the port notes says is Passport Required.

St Barts is a somewhat unique very classy island. Unlike many other Caribbean islands, St Barts would be happy if a cruise ship never called at their paradise. In fact, there was an amusing tale on CC last year about a ship (I cannot recall the line but it might have been HAL) that stopped at St Barts for the day. For some strange reason all the plumbing (i.e. no toilets) failed in town (and in some places out of town) for the entire day. But as the cruise passengers returned to their ship....miraculously the plumbing again started to work :). We would add that even those staying on St Maarten are required to take their passport if they want to do the ferry over to St Barts.

Hank

St Barts is a somewhat unique very classy island. Unlike many other Caribbean islands, St Barts would be happy if a cruise ship never called at their paradise. In fact, there was an amusing tale on CC last year about a ship (I cannot recall the line but it might have been HAL) that stopped at St Barts for the day. For some strange reason all the plumbing (i.e. no toilets) failed in town (and in some places out of town) for the entire day. But as the cruise passengers returned to their ship....miraculously the plumbing again started to work :). We would add that even those staying on St Maarten are required to take their passport if they want to do the ferry over to St Barts.

Hank

If you are in St. Maarten and want to ferry over to Anguilla (6 miles from Marigot), you also need a passport.

I just renewed my passport on Aug 12, and the new one arrived in my mailbox on Sept 2, exactly 3 weeks. And I didn't pay for expedited service. Total cost $110 for the renewal of a US passport.

Why take the chance and leave the US without a passport ? You never know what can happen. You may be having a bunch of beers on the beach in Jamaica, and fall asleep, and miss the ship. You will need a passport (and a bunch of money) to fly to the next port to rejoin the ship (and all of your clothes). Get a passport !!