Oh boy another tipping thread! (HAL should copy NCL)

InTheWASide

Here's a news item with a new NCL policy that I think would be a good idea on HAL.

While we all have our own thoughts on whether or not it should be added or voluntary, reduced, removed, etc I think this would be a good way to minimize some of the removals since it means more work for the people after their trip and it's already out of their account anyway...

Still might not be a perfect approach, but I think it's a good step in the right direction.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6529

A great idea but I would not want to work as a front line Guest Services Attendant on a ship for the first few months of implementation. Explaining this to the kind of people who are apt the reduce/eliminate the charge might prove to be quite a challenge :eek:

we usually tip more to cabin stewards and dining staff and Maitre'D as well as waiters especially with drink cards on X4 sailings. I personally think anyone removing the service charge is a cheap skate. If you want to give more it is easy to do. Isn't $12 a day worth the service you receive all around the ship and it is also spread to those you don't necessarily come in contact with.

Here's a news item with a new NCL policy that I think would be a good idea on HAL.

While we all have our own thoughts on whether or not it should be added or voluntary, reduced, removed, etc I think this would be a good way to minimize some of the removals since it means more work for the people after their trip and it's already out of their account anyway...

Still might not be a perfect approach, but I think it's a good step in the right direction.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6529

I think it stinks! If I don't get good service, why should I tip? Then come home and have to deal with it...I won't cruise with them

I think it stinks! If I don't get good service, why should I tip? Then come home and have to deal with it...I won't cruise with them

Agreed. Like the rebate cards companies have. They are hoping you forget about it.

Dan

It's about time. Excellent idea.

I can see both sides of the coin on this one. But being that I tip and don't give a crap what anyone else does, I'm not going to get wrapped around the axle on this one either. Whatever HAL sticks with, I'll just abide. :)

I think it is a terrible idea. I don't like the idea that it takes the face to face interaction away from the passenger requesting the change. Some people may be more prone to remove the tips if all it takes is an email request to do so.

I also wonder how this would affect the timing of the crew receiving their tips. Anyone who has worked in commission only sales knows the gut wrenching experience of starting a work week in the negative because customers have returned merchandise after you have received your commission payout. Could the same thing happen here? Could the crew start a cruise in the negative because passengers from 2 cruises ago have just removed their gratuities?

Or, maybe the cruise line will hold the payment of gratuities until a certain time has elapsed before paying it out to the crew. Not being paid in a timely manner can also be a huge negative.

It basically allows the passenger a longer time frame in which to pay for the complete cost of their cruise. A longer time period to change their mind for whatever reason.

A great idea but I would not want to work as a front line Guest Services Attendant on a ship for the first few months of implementation. Explaining this to the kind of people who are apt the reduce/eliminate the charge might prove to be quite a challenge :eek:

I agree, but if they're smart, they will give the front desk cards with the explanation. The the front desk person can say "Sorry, but I cannot do that at this time. Here are instructions for what you can do." Then hand over the card, turn away and call out "Next!"

Or easier still, put up a big sign that says "Service charge cannot be changed on board. Please see instructions." and have a tray of cards/papers that explain it.

Have you had bad service from EVERYONE who took care of you on a cruise? That's the only reason to remove the autotip (or whatever you want to call it).

If you have a bad waiter, do you remove the autotip? If so, you're punishing your cabin steward and lots of behind-the-scenes people who did NOT give you bad service.

You'd really let this keep you away from a cruise line? After all, they do allow you to remove it, so you would get your money back. They just don't let you do it onboard.

Finally a major line takes a good stance. Hopefully all the rest follow.

It's sad when cruising in foreign lands and a majority of guests remove the tips because of local customs. They don't mean to cause any harm and aren't doing anything to be mean, but simply don't know better and tipping is not a custom they don't do (this is changing unfortunately but still holds true in many regions).

Go HAL, follow the leader!

I would still prefer that CLIA or some other body with authority over all cruise lines mandate that the gratuities be included in the price. Right now, if HAL or any other cruise line starts to include the HSC in the base price it makes their prices look higher compared to their competition. For a while Royal mandated prepayment of gratuities for people who booked anytime dining; I think that went by the wayside when Dynamic Dining started on their newest ships.

Failing those alternatives, I support the NCL plan, but hope there is a way to INCREASE the tip while still on the ship.

CBR663, I don't see how this allows a passenger to delay payment of their tips. Under the NCL plan EVERYBODY pays their gratuities while still on the ship.

Roy

What a dumb idea! If it really is a "service charge" then there should be no way to remove it (like a hotel's Resort Service Charge). If it really is a gratuity, then it should be able to be raised, lowered or redistributed ("my cabin steward was awful"!) by the guest while they're on the cruise.

And, just like taxes and port charges, it should be part of the payment for the trip.

I have never removed the tips that said

1. think is a bad idea because I think more people will remove their tips.

People do and say a lot of thing behind a computer screen or on a phone that they would never do in person!

2. Buyers remorse I think people will get home look at their bill and think omg! But by making a phone call I can save a couple hundred dollars it might encourage them.

I think it's a GREAT idea!

Will other cruiselines follow? They have followed NCL in the past with specialty restaurants, "freestyle" dining, private islands. I hope they follow their lead here, too. Good for them!COLOR="Red"][/color]

I have never removed the tips that said

1. think is a bad idea because I think more people will remove their tips.

People do and say a lot of thing behind a computer screen or on a phone that they would never do in person!

2. Buyers remorse I think people will get home look at their bill and think omg! But by making a phone call I can save a couple hundred dollars it might encourage them.

I totally agree with this poster. People will remove the HSC when they get home as they don't have to actually face a human being while doing it! I can't imagine that someone is going to "forget" about $200 or $300 once they're home.