Single Guest

mikem5

Are there anyways to save when you're going as a single guest? Or are you always going to pay the price of 2 people. Or does anyone know any cheats to save money?

There ARE certain cruises that offer single supplement. You just have to do some research or call Carnival.

My son has done it twice.

Many moons ago Carnival used to do a share guarantee program for single cruisers where they would match you up with another single. In the event there were none you'd get your own room. I don't think they do this any longer but that's about the only way I've ever heard of a single cruiser not having to pay for double the cruise price (port & taxes aren't charged twice).

Many moons ago Carnival used to do a share guarantee program for single cruisers where they would match you up with another single. In the event there were none you'd get your own room. I don't think they do this any longer but that's about the only way I've ever heard of a single cruiser not having to pay for double the cruise price (port & taxes aren't charged twice).

Again.....they DO do it. My son did it on the Glory and on the Splendor. We just had to do research. Not all ships at all times do it. You just have to search.

If you do not want to do the research yourself, just call. They have a list of the current single supplements.

Thank you!

open up wwwdotgoccldotcom and look for the special offers box which will have solo special offers. Last I looked they were all on short cruises.

The advice to check the solo thread is also a good one.

Engage a TA who knows what you are looking for.

Sail NCL since they offer solo studio cabins at special pricing and cater to solos with their lounge and dining options.

open up wwwdotgoccldotcom and look for the special offers box which will have solo special offers. Last I looked they were all on short cruises.

The advice to check the solo thread is also a good one.

Engage a TA who knows what you are looking for.

Sail NCL since they offer solo studio cabins at special pricing and cater to solos with their lounge and dining options.

did you mean http://www.goccl.com ? You really can type it out correctly. They don't hide all urls.

I always cruise solo and it's ridiculous I have to pay for two people. When people ask who I cruised with I tell them "I never met him/her as they were invisible, but I know they were there because I had to pay their cruise fare".

It's discrimination against single people plain and simple. Hotel rooms don't charge single hotel guests double, why do cruise lines? It's a hotel on the sea.

Again.....they DO do it. My son did it on the Glory and on the Splendor. We just had to do research. Not all ships at all times do it. You just have to search.

If you do not want to do the research yourself, just call. They have a list of the current single supplements.

No, Carnival will NOT match you up with a room mate to share a cabin with to avoid the single supplement and this is what the person you quoted was referring. I sailed QE2 in college with a roomie that Cunard selected for me based on gender and smoking preference. Those days are gone.

Sometimes you can get a singles supp, I did a few times...but they seem to be harder to find. I book the cheapest room on ship, usually ES and watch price like a hawk. I managed a 140.00 OBC for my next cruise, best I have ever done. Also I have found using a PVP can help a lot on cost and best room for the $$.

I have been trying to book last minute cruises, but so far no luck..prices going up instead of down:(

I always cruise solo and it's ridiculous I have to pay for two people. When people ask who I cruised with I tell them "I never met him/her as they were invisible, but I know they were there because I had to pay their cruise fare".

It's discrimination against single people plain and simple. Hotel rooms don't charge single hotel guests double, why do cruise lines? It's a hotel on the sea.

Simple it has to do with making money!!!!!!!!

Gary

I've had to just watch prices. Figure out which cruise seems to be the cheapest and watch it every day until it gets to an acceptable price. In 2014 I got a pretty good rate on a July cruise then saw it advertised $75 cheaper. Even though I don't think that lower price was for a solo they still gave me OBC when I reported the lower price. This year all summer it was like double or triple what I paid last year. I had to cruise early September to get a good rate.

At hotels singles and doubles pay the same rate.

I was just curious for hacks. I know when my family books and we know my mom isn't going we book her anyway. And when we cancel her out. On occasion the computer glitches and her fare goes away. Which as you know the first two guests may be say 1,000 a person and the next two may be 500 a person. So we pay 1 person at 1,000 and 2 at 500. Compared to 2 people at 1,000 and 1 at 500.

At hotels singles and doubles pay the same rate.

Exactly, that was the point! :)

I have only cruised solo and it's just "the price of doing business" but it would be nice to get a break!

Throughout the year Carnival sometimes offers no-solo-supplement specials on specific sailings but I've never been able to take advantage of it. If you read the boards regularly someone will usually post when it happens.

It's not ridiculous it's simply a different manner that they advertise their prices.

Cruise lines advertise their prices per person so that it appears more affordable. When a solo books a room, they take 2 beds. Can kcal could sell the same room to someone with two paying customers, who also will both likely spend money outside of the cruise fare on board - such purchases, which effectively is the majority of their profit.

Further, sure cruise lines charge per person unlike land based hotels, but have you booked a land based hotel recently? Even a holiday inn in the suburbs / off an interstate can cost 200/night (true story, that was the going rate for the last hotel stay I booked)... And that doesn't include good, entertainment, etc.

I understand your frustration, and I'd jump on some solo deals myself, but I understand why it is why it is... And versus the 200/night holiday inn, it is still a better value. Many cruises can be had for 50/nt/pp.

Check out the link down thread for some of the reduced solo supplement cruises, they update it somewhat frequently