Another 1st time cruiser, local info on Ft Lauderdale

SuperdudeAbides

I know there are 100 of these and I apologize for adding another, but I have a somewhat unique situation and ...

A. My wife and I have never been on a cruise

B. Neither one of us has ever been to Fort Lauderdale (I've never been to FL)

C. As stated it's a very unique situation I find myself in.

We are booked for the 12/26 cruise on HAL Westerdam for 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. We set sail at 4pm on the 26th.

We live in the KC area and my wife works on Christmas eve until 4pm CT. We looked and looked for decent flights and there just weren't any. So we are renting a car, heading out at 5PM on the 24th, overnighting in Birmingham and then driving through to Fort Lauderdale on the 25th. The rental has to be turned in at Fort Lauderdale airport on the 26th by noon.

Here's my question/s.

1. Is there a shuttle from the airport to port everglades? If so cost?

2. If no shuttle average cost for a cab from the airport to port everglades?

3. I am looking for a budget hotel (less than 200 bucks if possible) that will put me in a safe part of town, give me a good comfy bed and be a reasonable distance to the airport so I can drop off the car and then hop a shuttle or catch a cab to the port. I do not care if it's classy, I don't need free breakfast (would be a bonus though) what's paramount to me is the bed and sleep quality (especially after the drive).

4. And lastly, we return the 2nd of Jan, we are overnighting in Fort Lauderdale and we fly home on the 3rd. I'd like a decent hotel that we can get to from the port (preferably free or very cheap shuttle or something like that) and the same getting to the airport the next day. For this hotel I'd like more than the bare bones of the night prior to the cruise. :cool:

Any help, tips, insight, direction, assistance is greatly appreciated.

1. Is there a shuttle from the airport to port everglades? If so cost?

2. If no shuttle average cost for a cab from the airport to port everglades?

What company are you renting from? Only Alamo and Hertz have a free shuttle from the airport; all other companies run shuttles from various other locations and indeed, a taxi from FLL to the Pier is around $15.00. It is not a flat rate, it is on the meter. If there are others there who need a cab to the port it would certainly be very reasonable to share with them, if you wanted.

As well, hotels in Fort Lauderdale are discussed daily here; you can easily run a search by using the "search this forum" function back on the main page, about half way up on the right side. Type in Fort Lauderdale hotel and you are set to read those threads. The info is here - you just need to do a little research. :)

Have fun on your cruise.

I know there are 100 of these and I apologize for adding another, but I have a somewhat unique situation and ...

A. My wife and I have never been on a cruise

B. Neither one of us has ever been to Fort Lauderdale (I've never been to FL)

C. As stated it's a very unique situation I find myself in.

We are booked for the 12/26 cruise on HAL Westerdam for 7 day Eastern Caribbean cruise. We set sail at 4pm on the 26th.

We live in the KC area and my wife works on Christmas eve until 4pm CT. We looked and looked for decent flights and there just weren't any. So we are renting a car, heading out at 5PM on the 24th, overnighting in Birmingham and then driving through to Fort Lauderdale on the 25th. The rental has to be turned in at Fort Lauderdale airport on the 26th by noon.

Here's my question/s.

1. Is there a shuttle from the airport to port everglades? If so cost? As stated above, depends upon what company you rent from

2. If no shuttle average cost for a cab from the airport to port everglades?About $15

3. I am looking for a budget hotel (less than 200 bucks if possible) that will put me in a safe part of town, give me a good comfy bed and be a reasonable distance to the airport so I can drop off the car and then hop a shuttle or catch a cab to the port. I do not care if it's classy, I don't need free breakfast (would be a bonus though) what's paramount to me is the bed and sleep quality (especially after the drive). www.sunny.org has lots of FLL area tourist and hotel info. You might look at staying off of I-95 north of Fort Lauderdale - some good hotel deals near Palm Beach.

4. And lastly, we return the 2nd of Jan, we are overnighting in Fort Lauderdale and we fly home on the 3rd. I'd like a decent hotel that we can get to from the port (preferably free or very cheap shuttle or something like that) and the same getting to the airport the next day. For this hotel I'd like more than the bare bones of the night prior to the cruise. :cool: We like the Embassy Suites - great location, about a $12+ cab ride from the port, lots of dining nearby, nice pool, plus free happy hour :D

Any help, tips, insight, direction, assistance is greatly appreciated.

Hotels over Christmas and New Year will be expensive - start shopping now and book something you can live with but can be cancelled without penalty. Then keep shopping. Good luck! :)

If you are looking for hotels close to the airport, I would not recommend staying in Palm Beach county. The closest big city in Palm Beach county is Boca Raton and the hotels there won't run in the budget category. Also Palm Beach county is not near FLL airport.

What company are you renting from? Only Alamo and Hertz have a free shuttle from the airport; all other companies run shuttles from various other locations and indeed, a taxi from FLL to the Pier is around $15.00. It is not a flat rate, it is on the meter. If there are others there who need a cab to the port it would certainly be very reasonable to share with them, if you wanted.

As well, hotels in Fort Lauderdale are discussed daily here; you can easily run a search by using the "search this forum" function back on the main page, about half way up on the right side. Type in Fort Lauderdale hotel and you are set to read those threads. The info is here - you just need to do a little research. :)

Have fun on your cruise.

We booked the rental with HERTZ YAY!! Thanks for the info on the free shuttle.

I have looked through a lot of threads on here about hotels, the reason I asked is all of them have set their own criteria and as stated mine was (in my estimation) kind of unique compared to the ones I have read. I am not looking for accommodations for a family of 5, I do not want to spend a lot of money, I don't care about hotel breakfast for free (they are never THAT great anyway), I don't care about nightlife, beach view, proximity to food and drink. All I want is a super comfortable king sized bed in a quiet room.

:D

There are many hotels around the Fort Lauderdale airport area but since you'll have a rental car I'd look for one that has free parking. We like the Homewood Suites which does have a very nice breakfast in the morning.

YIKES - $399 a night! Like I said for the night of the 25th, I want (I hate using this word) CHEAP. I might spend 399 for the night after the cruise (1/2/16)but it would have to be a heckofa nice place. Plus parking will not be an issue after the cruise we wont have a car, but a hotel with a free shuttle to the airport would be primo for the night after the cruise.

Thanks everyone, any other feed back is appreciated.

You may have a slight problem finding a "cheap" hotel on Dec 25th.

It is Christmas and since booking the Homewood Suites for under $200 several months ago the prices have gone up up up in rooms still left for that date.

I did a search and there are still some hotels under your price point available.

They are lower end ones but sure you can check them out here on CC or Tripadvisor.

Edited by silvercrikhix

Not sure about your driving route. Several posts on this board about cruisers spending the night in Orlando - where there are 1000's of hotels in every price point ;) -- and then driving to FLL/PE the morning of their cruise. If you take the toll road it is about 3.5 hour drive - get an early start and you can still be on the ship by noon enjoying lunch and a DOD. :D

OP - go to TripAdvisor and, since you have a car, look at hotels in Plantation. That's about 15 miles to the west of the airport and port but it is an easy drive and is a nice suburb. There are a number of them with availability around $150/night.

Edited by capriccio

You should call Hertz airport location directly to make sure that they have a free shuttle to port. I thought it was just National and Alamo.

Ugh. :( Sharon, you are indeed correct. OP SuperdudeAbides, my humblest apologies. I mis-typed the information too quickly from my notes. I should have just copy and pasted like I usually do. I'm sorry. *sigh* So back to the original plan of taking a cab from the airport, which is still very reasonable, or returning to the Crown Plaza Hotel lacation and getting the free shuttle. Personally, a cab is probably the way to go - faster, easier, no waiting. :)

Here is the correct info courtesy member MADflyer:

"Only Alamo/National shuttle from Airport. Must show return receipt to board shuttle. I use a big box store website and they often have incredible rates.

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit."

OP - go to TripAdvisor and, since you have a car, look at hotels in Plantation. That's about 15 miles to the west of the airport and port but it is an easy drive and is a nice suburb. There are a number of them with availability around $150/night.

Thanks for the tip, I will check it out!

Ugh. :( Sharon, you are indeed correct. OP SuperdudeAbides, my humblest apologies. I mis-typed the information too quickly from my notes. I should have just copy and pasted like I usually do. I'm sorry. *sigh* So back to the original plan of taking a cab from the airport, which is still very reasonable, or returning to the Crown Plaza Hotel lacation and getting the free shuttle. Personally, a cab is probably the way to go - faster, easier, no waiting. :)

Here is the correct info courtesy member MADflyer:

"Only Alamo/National shuttle from Airport. Must show return receipt to board shuttle. I use a big box store website and they often have incredible rates.

Hertz from Crown Plaza Hotel

Avis from Hyatt Pier 66

Budget on 17th in shopping center next to Renaissance Hotel

Sixt further up 17th.

Thrifty/Dollar just out western port exit."

No harm no foul. I appreciate it anyways. So from your post it looks like if I return the car to the Hertz location at the Crown Plaza they have a shuttle there? Or is that saying that Crown Plaza has a shuttle? Anyway, thanks everyone.

I have looked through a lot of threads on here about hotels, the reason I asked is all of them have set their own criteria and as stated mine was (in my estimation) kind of unique compared to the ones I have read. I am not looking for accommodations for a family of 5, I do not want to spend a lot of money, I don't care about hotel breakfast for free (they are never THAT great anyway), I don't care about nightlife, beach view, proximity to food and drink. All I want is a super comfortable king sized bed in a quiet room.

YIKES - $399 a night! Like I said for the night of the 25th, I want (I hate using this word) CHEAP. I might spend 399 for the night after the cruise (1/2/16)but it would have to be a heckofa nice place. Plus parking will not be an issue after the cruise we wont have a car, but a hotel with a free shuttle to the airport would be primo for the night after the cruise.

Thanks everyone, any other feed back is appreciated.

To find anything for $200 you are going to have to go on Hotwire and do a blind booking. You shouldn't have any problems getting a king bed because it is mostly families for book that time frame and they all want double/doubles.

Book downtown/beach/Las Olas area of hotwire. Otherwise you could end up at a hotel 45 minutes from port.

I am a member on Tripadvisor (SuperdudeAbides is my UN there too) and had been looking at a lot of different hotels on there already, but didn't know to look in Plantation. It does look to have a lot nicer reviewed places for much more reasonable money. Thanks again!

I am a member on Tripadvisor (SuperdudeAbides is my UN there too) and had been looking at a lot of different hotels on there already, but didn't know to look in Plantation. It does look to have a lot nicer reviewed places for much more reasonable money. Thanks again!

Glad I could help. After you get your pre-cruise accommodations worked out, come back and tell use what you are looking for and budget post cruise. As you can tell, there are a lot of locals and frequent Port Everglades cruisers on this board willing to give you a hand.

• 2 weeks later...

I wanted to update. (Not that anyone was worried) :rolleyes:

We found a nice non-stop flight on Christmas Eve from KC to Ft. Lauderdale we leave KC at 6:10pm arriving at 10pm in FLL. Much better than leaving by car and driving 22 hours over a 36 hour time frame. :)

Hotel reservations for pre-cruise have changed, Holiday Inn Express off 17th. King bed - instead of queen, same price as the hotel in Plantation, free shuttle from the airport and free shuttle to the port. We'll now be able to relax in Ft. Lauderdale for Christmas, have a few drinks and then leave on the 26th at 4pm with no stress, no rush and no long hours behind the wheel. Best part? The flight was actually less than the car rental and the 150-200 I had budgeted for gas. YAY

That's a win-win-win.

Hey, anyone familiar, could you recommend eating, shopping, attractions maybe a good bar in the area? Either walking distance or very short cab ride.

Holiday Inn Express Convention Center

1500 SE 17th Causeway

Fort Lauderdale, FL 33316

Again thanks all, this discussion board is incredible, great group of people!

Shop on hotels cheap sites like priceline or hotwire

Dania beach is where port everglades is so type it in

I have stayed at hyatt place .do not go to Rodeway inn

Choose 3-3.5 star rating nothing less good luck

I got a 4 star in Nov for about 80$ a night

We are on the same Westerdam cruise Dec 26-Jan 2. There are 18 family members cruising, 8 first timers.

We are booked through http://www.valuetrips.com for Hyatt Place 17th St Convention Center for Dec 24-26. Hyatt Place has free shuttle from airport, shuttle $ to port, free continental breakfast.

We are also looking for restaurants for Dec 24 and 25.

We are on the same Westerdam cruise Dec 26-Jan 2. There are 18 family members cruising, 8 first timers.

We are booked through http://www.valuetrips.com for Hyatt Place 17th St Convention Center for Dec 24-26. Hyatt Place has free shuttle from airport, shuttle $ to port, free continental breakfast.

You are near the outback across the street

Do not go to some supposedly fish place by the water ..a total ripoff ...food was horrible ,skimpy and very expensive ...lots of publicity for this place ..we starved after paying over 65$ for nothing a little piece of fish in a huge plate ....something fisheries ....really not worth it

Lots of restaurants around

You are near the outback across the street

Do not go to some supposedly fish place by the water ..a total ripoff ...food was horrible ,skimpy and very expensive ...lots of publicity for this place ..we starved after paying over 65$ for nothing a little piece of fish in a huge plate ....something fisheries ....really not worth it

Lots of restaurants around

I went to that fish restaurant (15th St Fisheries) one time and enjoyed the food. A few years later, I was recommending this restaurant and went back with family members and was very disappointed and have not gone back.

I like Kelly's Landing close by Hyatt Place but they are not open Dec 24-25.

Edited by phabric

Just wondering how long it took for Valuetrips to reply. I sent the email request form on Tuesday and still no response on Friday??