Elite Level Changing

1MKS1128

If they went to a dollars-spent system, they would defeat the purpose of the program.

Don't tell that to the airlines, where miles in most major programs are earned based on what you spend on the ticket, not just the miles flown, and dollar thresholds are part of the requirement for earning status. Will the cruise industry follow? Who knows. But the concept is out there and is in use.

Agreed. Same old rumor. If things change then they change. I can't waste my time or effort wondering or worrying about things of this sort. I'm not elite yet and, when I finally get there, it will most likely end up kind of a tie between number of cruises and days at sea as we like to take longer cruises whenever possible.

I like Princess and whether or not they make this oft-rumored change won't affect my cruising one way or another.

Upon finishing our last cruise, we made Platinum by both having the 5 cruises and also by having over 50 days doing so. I wouldn't mind if it was strictly based on days on board.

I think they should have a system where every dollar spent for your cruise and while on board cruising gives you so many points. Each level is based on those points. The more you spend the more princess makes so why not reward people for it. Just like a points card.

It seems the fairest way to me. It will never happen, but I can see them changing to the amount of days cruised rather then the system they have now.

I hope they don't give extra credits for on board spending. If we go on any excursions (and most of the time, we just tour on our own), we usually book through the ship. But many go through independent operators and would feel others are getting bonus points for booking through the ship. So if you feel your benefits are getting watered down (say the elite lounge is crowded because there's passengers getting that status faster than you), you may not be too happy.

So if you think I'm on the 1NTs like last Sunday's Ruby sailing just because I'm looking for cruise credits in my progress towards ill-gotten Elite status, you are *SORELY MISTAKEN*. I'm there because I love being onboard a Princess ship for even one night, I like sharing that experience with my friends in the hopes that the ones who are skeptical about a cruise vacation will join me in the future, and I *really* like the dinner rolls.

My husband and I are doing our first one-night cruise next May and I am very excited. We are spending a week in Seattle and this will be the cherry on top. We are taking Amtrak SEA-YVR (I've heard it is beautiful) and then boarding in Vancouver. Have an aft mini and can't wait to enjoy my Key West Coolers and pizza! We also love just being on a ship...the more the better. If I lived near a Port rather than Colorado we would cruise every month. :D

Edited by BroncoLvrs

Don't tell that to the airlines, where miles in most major programs are earned based on what you spend on the ticket, not just the miles flown, and dollar thresholds are part of the requirement for earning status. Will the cruise industry follow? Who knows. But the concept is out there and is in use.

I would submit that selling flights and selling cruises are different things. People take a flight to get to a destination, maybe for a vacation. People cruise because that is the vacation.

............ It takes 15 cruises to get to Elite on Princess and 10 cruises to reach Diamond on RCCL. It was a great cruise but taking into account the expense of travelling to one of these cities people would not book a one day cruise if it wasn't for the "points", IMO.

Actually, Royal Caribbean moved several years ago to a points system based on number of days sailed. However, the majority of solo travellers get double points. Also, if you travel in a suite, you also receive double points as long as it wasn't a free upgrade from a lower level cabin.

We are taking Amtrak SEA-YVR (I've heard it is beautiful) and then boarding in Vancouver.
Here's a tip. For the best views sit on the left side of the train heading north. There are two especially scenic stretches where you will be hugging Puget Sound: between Seattle and Everett, and again just past Mount Vernon/Burlington. Edited by Jasperdo

Actually, Royal Caribbean moved several years ago to a points system based on number of days sailed. However, the majority of solo travellers get double points. Also, if you travel in a suite, you also receive double points as long as it wasn't a free upgrade from a lower level cabin.
Exactly the same on Princess. The Captain's Circle is actually not based on the number of cruises but rather, the number of cruise credits. For most, one cruise = one cruise credit but solos get double (we pay 200%) at two credits/cruise as do passengers booked in a full suite; solos booked in a full suite get three cruise credits.

In addition to the Published Captain's Circle loyalty levels, Princess gives OBC based on the number of cruise credits regardless of the length of the cruise.

21 - 31 cruise credits $25 onboard cabin credit

32 - 41 cruise credits $50 onboard cabin credit

42 - 51 cruise credits $75 onboard cabin credit

52+ cruise credits $100 onboard cabin credit

Unlike some other lines, you can combine all OBC regardless of source.

I would love this. I usually pay us as well as for my DD and SIL, my DS and DIL, the four grandchildren and my mom and/or stepson. My last cruise cost over $30,000. That was just the cruise fare, air travel and hotel. Wouldn't take me long to get to elite. Afterall, even though they cruised every dime went on my credit card.

If it is like the airlines, the miles go to who takes the flight, not who pays for it.

Boring ... Boring

This subject comes up every year and always sparks off the same discussion on whether or not folks who take short cruises are cheating the system.

As a person who will, at the end of my next cruise and having spent approximately $50,000 (excluding air fares) per person, get to Elite on the basis of days cruised, whilst still only having 14 cruise credits, one might expect that I would fall into the Group who argue against someone who sails for one day getting the same loyalty credit as someone who sails for 25days.

However, I do not, though I do find the fact that this crops up as a perennially divisive subject boring.

Life is too short to worry about someone else's status in a loyalty system and if you are unhappy about the your status then take advantage of what you perceive to be an anomaly in the rules. I use the rules all the time on airline flights and this year I am travelling direct non-stop in Business Class with a full flat bed, for less than I would have paid to travel in 38" pitch Premium Economy when booking through Princess, and that is the point....The rules are the rules.

Use them if you wish, but don't complain if you choose not to but someone else does.

They are set by the supplier and not by the client.

What I do not understand, given the opportunity to benefit from the rules is potentially available to everyone, is why anyone should argue that that, that simply because they do not, or for whatever reason can not, use the rules to their advantage others are cheating if they make use of the rules.

The bottom line is that, if Princess were unhappy about folks using one day cruises to help them progress up the loyalty tiers then, they would change the system.

As they have not, then one must assume they are content with the system. End of...

Edited by Corfe Mixture

I think there are too many elites and the system needs to be changed. If you wait in line for the elite appetizers at there party and it's a line out the door you realize there are too many elites. I wish they would up the elite level to 25 cruises.

Wow! Next month I will have 50 cruises with Princess and I have never experienced "a line out the door". I guess I'm just lucky.

I think there are too many elites and the system needs to be changed. If you wait in line for the elite appetizers at there party and it's a line out the door you realize there are too many elites. I wish they would up the elite level to 25 cruises.

Wow! Next month I will have 50 cruises with Princess and I have never experienced "a line out the door". I guess I'm just lucky.

I'm only platinum ;) and have never waited on any line for the elite/platinum cocktail reception.

Boring ... Boring

This subject comes up every year and always sparks off the same discussion on whether or not folks who take short cruises are cheating the system.

As a person who will, at the end of my next cruise and having spent approximately $50,000 (excluding air fares) per person, get to Elite on the basis of days cruised, whilst still only having 14 cruise credits, one might expect that I would fall into the Group who argue against someone who sails for one day getting the same loyalty credit as someone who sails for 25days.

However, I do not, though I do find the fact that this crops up as a perennially divisive subject boring.

Life is too short to worry about someone else's status in a loyalty system and if you are unhappy about the your status then take advantage of what you perceive to be an anomaly in the rules. I use the rules all the time on airline flights and this year I am travelling direct non-stop in Business Class with a full flat bed, for less than I would have paid to travel in 38" pitch Premium Economy when booking through Princess, and that is the point....The rules are the rules.

Use them if you wish, but don't complain if you choose not to but someone else does.

They are set by the supplier and not by the client.

What I do not understand, given the opportunity to benefit from the rules is potentially available to everyone, is why anyone should argue that that, that simply because they do not, or for whatever reason can not, use the rules to their advantage others are cheating if they make use of the rules.

The bottom line is that, if Princess were unhappy about folks using one day cruises to help them progress up the loyalty tiers then, they would change the system.

As they have not, then one must assume they are content with the system. End of...

Best post ever on this subject.

Most of us (IMHO of course) try to beat the system one way or an other and if we get away with it :cool:.

Theo

Hey, just limit the number of Elites allowed on the ship.

First come, first booked... ;)

For me the critical factor is not a question of how you become Elite, but more a question of how you behave when you are 'Elite'. I'm only Platinum, but I will shortly become Elite and I have seen so much aggressive behaviour from Elites, towards other passengers, that I am not sure I will wish anyone to know when I get to Elite.

By bad behaviour, I include:

a) pushing past non-Elite suite passengers in the Elite / Suite line at the reception desk on the basis that they have priority over the suite passenger.

b) pushing to the very front of the line for tendering, rather than accepting that priority tendering merely gives them the right to join the end of the line without a tender group card.

c) complaining directly to non-Elite passengers sitting by a window in the main dining room, that they wanted a window seat and should have been given priority for that table.

Edited by Corfe Mixture

Agreed. Same old rumor. If things change then they change. I can't waste my time or effort wondering or worrying about things of this sort. I'm not elite yet and, when I finally get there, it will most likely end up kind of a tie between number of cruises and days at sea as we like to take longer cruises whenever possible.

I like Princess and whether or not they make this oft-rumored change won't affect my cruising one way or another.

Same for us being in the northeast we miss out on shorter cruising, but that's OK we enjoy our longer ones greatly. Would of course do any 2-3 day trip out of Boston as often as time would allow. We just like getting away and on a ship we can.

For me the critical factor is not a question of how you become Elite, but more a question of how you behave when you are 'Elite'. I'm only Platinum, but I will shortly become Elite and I have seen so much aggressive behaviour from Elites, towards other passengers, that I am not sure I will wish anyone to know when I get to Elite.

By bad behaviour, I include:

a) pushing past non-Elite suite passengers in the Elite / Suite line at the reception desk on the basis that they have priority over the suite passenger.

b) pushing to the very front of the line for tendering, rather than accepting that priority tendering merely gives them the right to join the end of the line without a tender group card.

c) complaining directly to non-Elite passengers sitting by a window in the main dining room, that they wanted a window seat and should have been given priority for that table.

You are way off. There is an elite line at guest services so elite passengers use their own special line.

Elite are suppposed to go to the tenders not wait in the general line with those that got numbers.

I hear many passengers wish they had a window table and can't tell if they are on their first cruise or are elite status. How do you know?

Edited by cruzsnooze

I'm only platinum ;) and have never waited on any line for the elite/platinum cocktail reception.
Yup. You've been lucky. I've seen this for both the nightly Platinum/Elite 5-7pm cocktail hour and the Captain's Circle party. Not unusual to see a line all the way from Club Fusion or similar back beyond the Wheelhouse. When you have over 1,000 Elite and even more Platinum, it gets crazy.

I agree with the "how you act" comments. It really annoys me when I see Elite pushing ahead of others thinking they're special. Last year on the Royal, my friends and I were patiently waiting for disembarkation to start in Greenock. We were towards the front of the line which circled all around the Piazza and who knows where else. A group of four people tried to get in line ahead of us, one of them waving a black card and saying, "I'm Elute." We then each got out our black cards and nicely told them that the Elite perk meant they could get on line in the back. It did not mean they could jump head. The guy was a jerk and insisted that it did. So we were less nice and explained the perk while saying that the longer he argued, the longer the line was getting. He finally gave up but I think he was embarrassed because he probably told his friends he could get them to the front of the line. FYI, no one else let him in. :)

You are way off. There is an elite line at guest services so elite passengers use their own special line.

Elite are suppposed to go to the tenders not wait in the general line with those that got numbers.

I hear many passengers wish they had a window table and can't tell if they are on their first cruise or are elite status. How do you know?

No, he is not way off. Passenger Services has a Suite/Elite line and Elites do not get priority over suites.

As for tendering, that is exactly what he said. Elites go to the end of the line in the tender area. They do not get to push their way to the front of the tender line.

Yup. You've been lucky. I've seen this for both the nightly Platinum/Elite 5-7pm cocktail hour and the Captain's Circle party. Not unusual to see a line all the way from Club Fusion or similar back beyond the Wheelhouse. When you have over 1,000 Elite and even more Platinum, it gets crazy.

I was just referring to the cocktail hour. Granted we've never been on the Royal or the Regal and our Grand class cruises probably weren't the type of itineraries that attract massive quantities of veteran cruisers (there were only about 40 elite and 115 platinum out of 3200+ on out RT Seattle Alaska cruise on the Crown in July, but this was an extreme).

Now the Captain's Circle party is another issue. The only other thing I would add is that once they open the doors the line moves relatively quickly.

No, he is not way off. Passenger Services has a Suite/Elite line and Elites do not get priority over suites.

I know that I was accosted by Elites on at least 2 different cruises when I was waiting in that line - I was told (and not in a helpful manner) to get out of the line . I was taken aback the first time but prepared the second and said that I was in a suite and stood my ground. They looked dubious but back then you couldn't prove it since "suite" didn't appear on your cruise card. Both times the passenger service reps who saw the incident apologized profusely when I did get to the counter. I think that with the addition of the word suite to the cruise card a couple of years ago this kind of boorish behavior can be nipped in the bud by showing the cruise card - and hopefully embarrassing the complainer in the process.