How to Cruise Alaska

roseshayit

This may be a lofty question, but I'm at a loss for which Alaska cruise to take. We are loyal to Royal, but I've heard Princess does Alaska best. I also have to consider what's best for my toddler.

Here's what I want to know:

-What do you consider a must-see port

-Best land+sea package

-Best excursions

-Experiences with toddlers/babies

I appreciate any feedback!

There is no ONE answer. You need to do some research and determine which cruiseline and itinerary best suits your needs and priorities.

You need to learn about each port and the sights/activities available at each one. There are only 6-7 ports. Then look carefully at itineraries to ensure that your ship is in port long enough and at the right time of day to accomplish planned activities.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises which discuss cruiselines, ports, activities, etc. Your library may have Ann Vipond's 'Alaska by Cruiseship' and Fodor's ' Alaska ports of Call'. There are over 100 trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page ... many are photojournals with lots of details about the cruise, vendors, activities, etc. The first line of the report usually includes the ship, date, itinerary, and who travelled.

RESEARCH is the key to a successful trip. The more you know, the better your trip will be. Have fun with it !

p.s. Alaska isn't an ideal destination for toddliers/babies, IMHO. Alaska is all about scenery; coastlines and glaciers hold a toddlers interest for about 2 seconds. Look carefully at Kids Club comments in trip reports to get first hand opinions from parents and be mindful of age requirements ie some may not accept kids in diapers.

Edited by mapleleaves
p.s.

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise with Princess.

This was my first cruise but I must say that Princess does a darn good job with Alaskan cruises. They incorporated Alaskan seafood into their menus, they had an excellent naturalist speaker (Michael Modzelewski) who also narrated on the day we were in Glacier Bay.

Whatever cruise line you choose, do choose the one that goes into Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay offers the best chance to see glaciers calving. I know Princess has cruises that go there and so does Holland America.

I just got back from an Alaskan cruise with Princess.

Whatever cruise line you choose, do choose the one that goes into Glacier Bay. Glacier Bay offers the best chance to see glaciers calving. I know Princess has cruises that go there and so does Holland America.

Interesting comment about Glacier Bay. Did you see a lot of calving at Glacier Bay? We are considering returning to Glacier Bay in 2017.

There is no ONE answer. You need to do some research and determine which cruiseline and itinerary best suits your needs and priorities.

You need to learn about each port and the sights/activities available at each one. There are only 6-7 ports. Then look carefully at itineraries to ensure that your ship is in port long enough and at the right time of day to accomplish planned activities.

There are books specific to Alaska cruises which discuss cruiselines, ports, activities, etc. Your library may have Ann Vipond's 'Alaska by Cruiseship' and Fodor's ' Alaska ports of Call'. There are over 100 trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page ... many are photojournals with lots of details about the cruise, vendors, activities, etc. The first line of the report usually includes the ship, date, itinerary, and who travelled.

RESEARCH is the key to a successful trip. The more you know, the better your trip will be. Have fun with it !

p.s. Alaska isn't an ideal destination for toddliers/babies, IMHO. Alaska is all about scenery; coastlines and glaciers hold a toddlers interest for about 2 seconds. Look carefully at Kids Club comments in trip reports to get first hand opinions from parents and be mindful of age requirements ie some may not accept kids in diapers.

Absolutely perfect answer to the question...to all these "best" questions.

Interesting comment about Glacier Bay. Did you see a lot of calving at Glacier Bay? We are considering returning to Glacier Bay in 2017.

Personally I'd put Glacier way down the list to see calving. Much more likely are Hubbard Glacier or South Sawyer in Tracy Arm. (but you need the small boat excursion to get really close) Both are far more active than Glacier Bay, but both have a smaller chance of getting close from the cruise ship.

I agree with what has been said about doing the research.

I would first determine whether or not you want to do a land package and if so if you want to do it via the cruise line and also decide before the cruise starts or post cruise. All of this is important to decide on itinerary and potentially cruise line. For example if you desire to do a pre or post cruise land program thought he cruise line some cruise lines don't offer one and some do have some extensive ones and this will aid you as you determine which cruise line to sail.

In addition I would read about the ports. While I might prefer one port someone else might prefer another one. For example, if I wanted to go salmon fishing some ports would be better choices than others.

I do think that Glacier Bay is very worthwhile to see. Not all cruise lines sail Glacier Bay. But again you need to read about Glacier Bay and also read about the Glaciers that other lines might visit.

So as has been mentioned start by doing the research and there is a wealth of information on line on this forum and even on the cruise line sites.

Then as you are narrowing down your choices come back with selected questions.

Alaska is amazing and although we have sailed Alaska many times there is still so much to see and do.

We have another Alaska Cruise for next year too.

Keith

Personally I'd put Glacier way down the list to see calving. Much more likely are Hubbard Glacier or South Sawyer in Tracy Arm. (but you need the small boat excursion to get really close) Both are far more active than Glacier Bay, but both have a smaller chance of getting close from the cruise ship.

Doug -- I kinda agree with your statement above. We have been to Hubbard numerous times and our glacier calving experience has been 98%. As for Tracy Arm, we did see quite a bit of calving while on board Adventure Bound and a small amount from our cruise ship during another cruise.

The only reason we are looking to revisit Glacier Bay is the fact that we have cruised the same itinerary quite a few times in a row and we are looking to "shake things up a bit."

Research is the best thing you can do in selecting which cruise is best for you and your family. We have our first Alaska cruise scheduled for May 2016 on Princess. We did about 6 months of research before deciding on which specific cruise and excursions to take. The many reviews and excellent advice here on CC made it easier. Friends who have been on an Alaska cruise are another excellent source. We now feel we have the best cruise for us. All the best.

This may be a lofty question, but I'm at a loss for which Alaska cruise to take. We are loyal to Royal, but I've heard Princess does Alaska best. I also have to consider what's best for my toddler.

Here's what I want to know:

-What do you consider a must-see port

-Best land+sea package

-Best excursions

-Experiences with toddlers/babies

I appreciate any feedback!

It is a lofty question, but it is very answerable. When you first start, it is overwhelming, but as others have already explained, you need to do your research. Not sure in this day and age with the internet at your fingertips, why anyone would suggest you need to visit the library or read a bunch of books. I happen to love libraries and reading, but there are many ways to get the info you need. Cruise Critic is a great place to do some of that research, but people here don't do well with questions like what is "best". You'll need to do a lot of reading first. Read old posts. The same questions come up over and over and over. So much good info to be found here, if you take the time to read. Posts will lead you to other websites with more info. You can find everything you need online. Might be better to post when you have a specific question that you can't seem to find the answer to elsewhere.

As for my answers to your questions:

A must-see port for me is Juneau. I never seem to have enough time there to do all that I want to do. The best land and sea package is one that includes Denali National Park and allows at least one full day there, which means two nights. The best excursions I've been on are the dogsledding on a glacier in Juneau, the Kantishna Experience Tour in Denali, and the small boat excursion in Tracy Arm. I have no experiences with toddlers and babies.

, they had an excellent naturalist speaker (Michael Modzelewski) who also narrated on the day we were in Glacier Bay.

Not accurate- cruise ship naturalists do not narrate in Glacier Bay. Park Service Rangers do all the narration. They do narrate at Hubbard Glacier and College Fjords.

The only reason we are looking to revisit Glacier Bay is the fact that we have cruised the same itinerary quite a few times in a row and we are looking to "shake things up a bit."

Glacier Bay is well worth seeing, I usually do a B2B so generally see it twice a year. It just doesn't calve very much. To me some of the others are much more impressive close up. I've done the South Sawyer in Tracy Arm up close and personal with Adventure Bound 4-5 times (we were iced out once) and I've seen more calving on each individual trip than 10 years of visits to Glacier Bay. Doesn't mean it won't happen but I sure don't visit expecting it.

I was also spoiled my first few visits to Hubbard with massive ice falls (one the ice chunk floated by us later in the current and was bigger than the old Island Princess I was on) but the last couple of years I haven't gotten within 5 miles.

I will absolutely discourage you from considering any "land tour". Simply a bad idea with an unpredictable toddler. All these involve FIXED schedules and lengthy transits, no ability to stop and likely "complaints" if any disruptions.

There are only 6 Alaska ports available on an inside passage 7 day cruise. I suggest you look at EACH one, and find out what it is known for, and especially important- what activites are doable and of interest to YOU. It makes no difference what other people have enjoyed or "recommend", until you determine your interest and budget.

I have sailed all the major cruiselines in Alaska except for Disney. Guess what- EACH trip was loaded with raving visitors, so I am never going to "claim" Princess is any better than others. Again, depends on you. :)

I'm a big advocate of using your library- somehow, having that Alaska travel guide in front of you- really can be very informative, with easy reference for comparisons, and the ability to keep your preferences and ideas straight. :)

Don't limit yourself, when you don't know what you are looking at with itineraries. Understanding all the details, can really enhance your trip. I can take a quick look at any itinerary- and KNOW, what all the options are going to be. It's an advantage to understand the same thing perhaps.

I agree that I would never recommend one of the packaged land tours with a toddler. I do think you would be happier with a do it yourself inland experience if you have the time. In my opinion the more time you can allow to see the inland areas the better. You could do this using either a rental car or RV. Then you can set a pace that can be enjoyed with the toddler and allow for frequent pull offs to enjoy the scenery and allow your toddler stretch breaks as they need it.

I will also agree that pre-arranged land tour is not for toddlers nor adults who are in bad health. These tours provide a great opportunity to cover a lot of territory but they are hard on the body.......often times you are leaving hotel very early am, traveling long periods in confined areas and sometimes traveling until late. I also think your fellow travelers would be upset to have an unhappy toddler around......we love our kids but would never consider taking the toddlers or very young family members on package land tours.

Remember Tracy Arm is missed frequently on large ships (and can be missed on small ships also).

You have a far better chance of seeing Glacier Bay than Tracy Arm. Hubbard Glacier is also missed more often than Glacier Bay.

So I would rather see a glacier than chance not seeing it because if you never make it, you won't see the calving. Not everyone gets to go every year and can chance going back the following year if they miss it.

Having done RCCL and Princess in Alaska, RCCL disappointed me.

Edited by Coral

• 2 weeks later...

Tracy Arm Fjord and Sawyer glacier was so beautiful on my recent cruise. We were lucky that the ship's captain was able to get close to the glacier. We sailed Celebrity Solstice and I would highly recommend it. The naturalist was great, especially with his commentary during the cruising of Tracy Arm. There was also a cultural interpreter on board, who shared information about each stop we were going to (i.e. history of town, etc.). The ship provided fleece blankets on the decks and hot soup to those returning to the ship from the port.