azamara vs oceania

kayfabe

After more than 50 cruises in the consumer level most on celebrity I want to take the next step up. Would really like some imput on oceania as opposed to azamara. Looking at a couple sailings out of mia. in march on both lines. Not concerned about the ports as much as just wanting to try out the product. Can anyone offer me thoughts on a sea day on either line, entertainment, food, overall attentiveness of the staff etc. My wife who loves celebrity is concerned about there not being a great deal to do on a sea day on ships of such smaller size. thanks in advance

Bill

maybe give us an idea of what she likes to do on a sea day then people can say if Oceania will work for her needs/wants

If you have status on X then you will benefit from it on Azamara or you may prefer a bit larger ship like Marina or Riviera :confused:

Yes we have elite status on celeb and I was thinking about that carry over but also thinking about the more subtle change of going to Riviera which I would guess would have a similar feel to the old Century as opposed to the much smaller journey. Our/her main interest while on board is the entertainment, music the individual performers you find around the ship etc. no interest in all the traditional games and activitys. that's why we shyed away from Royal and always preferred Celebrity. Can always find a nice variety of good musical entertainment there. Have noticed slight price increases on celebrity which is another reason for thinking its time to check out the next level.

Yes, the Rivera has a feel like the Century however it is a little smaller. As far as music there is little to none during the day, the pool is very quiet. At night there is one show around 9:30, music in the grand bar at happy hour and a piano player later. Horizons also has some sort of action each night. I think it is all very good but it is limited. We always had fun on our Oceania trips however to tell the truth we found them some what boring.

Edited by hypercafe

string quartet during tea 4-5 pm & during dinner hour in the Grand Bar(hallway) from about 6-9pm

Martinis bar have the piano play in the evening

not much in the way of music in the day

Cooking classes if you like that or lectures, mini putt golf, bingo, bridge etc...

One thread I was looking at that was from about three years ago seemed to indicate the entertainment on oceania was sparse as you say. I believe in that same thread there were some more positive words about the music on azamara but as that was a thread from a fairly long time ago I realize things may have changed a great deal.

One thread I was looking at that was from about three years ago seemed to indicate the entertainment on oceania was sparse as you say. I believe in that same thread there were some more positive words about the music on azamara but as that was a thread from a fairly long time ago I realize things may have changed a great deal.

They may have some movies during the day on Oceania but as far as musical entertainment or show during the day it rarely happens

They may have activities during the day but if you are not interested then you are left to amuse yourself

I like to read so it does not bother me to have some quiet time

People do not go on Oceania for the entertainment ...it is there but not the prime motivator for booking Oceania

YMMV

Edited by LHT28

and enjoy them both...especially the Marina/Riviera ships...I think they might be more to your liking...especially since your wife is concerned about ship size. They are very modern IMO and I personally prefer them over the R class (smaller ships). But we also like Azamara...and like the fact that our X benefits transfer over...which can save us $$ re laundry and internet. Azamara also includes all beverages...including alcohol and tips as well. As mentioned you won't find any type of large production shows on either line such as what you are used to on X...but they do usually have a much smaller version of a "show" in a much smaller venue...on a T/A I think both lines might have several. There are many dining options on the Marina class ships...on AZ there are only 2 "specialty restaurants"..and that is also true on the O R ships as well. You do pay for them on AZ and there is no charge on O. We feel lucky to go on either one...and I really don't think you can go wrong with either one...maybe look at ports of call and price and let that help you decide?? LuAnn

Hi Luann,

At this point I am just wanting to try the product on a local and relatively inexpensive sailing. Got our 10th annaversery in 2017 and want to do a major trip that summer, likely the british isles. Want to do something in early 16 to try to narrow the options a little.

Looking at two very similar options in march. both out of Miami a 7 night on the Riviera and a 10 night on the journey. ports are all the same old Caribbean islands and pricing is close. Leaning twords Riviera based on my wifes preference/concern but haven't decided yet. That's why I am here. and by the way thanks to all of you for your imput

I have sailed Celebrity M-class, S-class.

Azamara Quest

Oceania Marina and Riviera

We enjoy Oceania just because it IS the quietest, I feel.

We don't do trivia, shows, meet and mingles etc... We enjoy the food and staterooms size, and the low key atmosphere. Pool band played for maybe an hour total on our recent Med cruise! We liked that!!!

And of course, DH loves that he doesn't need a jacket!!

Hope this helps?

Hi Luann,

At this point I am just wanting to try the product on a local and relatively inexpensive sailing. Got our 10th annaversery in 2017 and want to do a major trip that summer, likely the british isles. Want to do something in early 16 to try to narrow the options a little.

Looking at two very similar options in march. both out of Miami a 7 night on the Riviera and a 10 night on the journey. ports are all the same old Caribbean islands and pricing is close. Leaning twords Riviera based on my wifes preference/concern but haven't decided yet. That's why I am here. and by the way thanks to all of you for your imput

I think you got the right idea.

No matter what anyone says - good or bad - the proof is in the pudding.

Only you can judge what suits you best and the only right way to do that is to try them all and then decide for yourself.

I hope you enjoy the Riviera.

Hi Luann,

Happy to help...let us know what you decide ...and then how you enjoy your choice..LuAnn

We have been on Azamara and Oceania and usually cruise with Celebrity, due to price and Elite Plus benefits. There is no comparison as far as the ship itself, the Riviera is so much nicer and just a wonderful experience. Last year when we first cruised on the Riviera, I booked another sailing while on board. I didn't care where it went, I just wanted to be on the ship.

We enjoyed the Azamara Quest, especially the very friendly and caring staff; but we prefer a bit larger ship, like the Riviera and Marina size. I have reviewed both ships and have lots of photos of them. A link to the website with the reviews is in my signature.

If you enjoy evening entertainment, the Riviera's theater is much larger and they have more people in their production team. To me the stadium seating is also much more comfortable than what the smaller ships have.

Good idea to try a shortie on O before committing to long one. I recently did 71N on Insignia. Several segments of WC. Have done 30 cruises on Celebrity. There is a quieter, more conservative vibe on O.Everything on smaller scale.O is a foodie line.Very important. 71N and I did not get tired of menus. X does same menus over and over for years. On a long O cruise they bring in entertainment from the various countries/ islands, usually for 2 shows. With a few exceptions, nothing exciting. The house orchestra was made up of guys from big bands, very good. We had a Brit historian, singer, play writer on for whole cruise, Terry Bishop.Extraordinary. He will be on Marina in future. High tea every day with a string quartet and wonderful pastries. You will know if O is for you after a week. I find X getting a little too large and prefer the small ships.

Good idea to try a shortie on O before committing to long one. I recently did 71N on Insignia. Several segments of WC. Have done 30 cruises on Celebrity. There is a quieter, more conservative vibe on O.Everything on smaller scale.O is a foodie line.Very important. 71N and I did not get tired of menus. X does same menus over and over for years. On a long O cruise they bring in entertainment from the various countries/ islands, usually for 2 shows. With a few exceptions, nothing exciting. The house orchestra was made up of guys from big bands, very good. We had a Brit historian, singer, play writer on for whole cruise, Terry Bishop.Extraordinary. He will be on Marina in future. High tea every day with a string quartet and wonderful pastries. You will know if O is for you after a week. I find X getting a little too large and prefer the small ships.

Finally, a balanced review. Thank you! :o

From my wife's perspective, a WOW factor on Oceania's Marina and Riviera is the Bathroom! We typically sail in Veranda staterooms and the bathroom on those two ships gave us the feel of Suite accommodations!

I totally agree, the bathrooms wowed me. I have detailed pictures of the bathroom that I would love to use myself someday.

Riviera and Marina are drop dead gorgeous ships with an astounding array of great food choices and lovely service. I would recommend these ships to anyone.

well I have the Riviera booked for march of next year. Mike under your future sailings its says you are also on the Riviera in march. I am on the sailing on the 13th.

looks like an amazing ship and couldn't pass on the deal. I agree that X is getting a little crowded. its my only choice at that level but now I get a taste of the next level. I'll be back with a report in a few months. guess I should go check out the roll call for my sailing thanks again everyone

Bill

Edited by kayfabe

I totally agree, the bathrooms wowed me. I have detailed pictures of the bathroom that I would love to use myself someday.

Riviera and Marina are drop dead gorgeous ships with an astounding array of great food choices and lovely service. I would recommend these ships to anyone.

I'm confused Sammie, are you wanting to use the pictures or use the bathroom? ;)

well I have the Riviera booked for march of next year. Mike under your future sailings its says you are also on the Riviera in march. I am on the sailing on the 13th.

looks like an amazing ship and couldn't pass on the deal. I agree that X is getting a little crowded. its my only choice at that level but now I get a taste of the next level. I'll be back with a report in a few months. guess I should go check out the roll call for my sailing thanks again everyone

Bill

Sorry Bill, we are on the 20th. I wanted a full two weeks on that wonderful ship. The 10 days last year just wasn't enough. :)

Here are some more bathroom pics for you. I loved the blue highlights in the granite floor.

riv14_ship_img_5367.jpg

riv14_ship_img_5360.jpg

riv14_ship_img_3942.jpg

I'm confused Sammie, are you wanting to use the pictures or use the bathroom? ;)

I didn't word my comment very well, I was writing while on the road.

I have the bathroom photos to give to a designer for a bath redo. I'm actually working with someone now but letting her come up with other ideas first.

Mike, thanks for the additional photos.

Edited by sammiedawg