Alternative Tipping

NapTown Jim

NOT ANOTHER TIPPING THREAD!?!?!

I know that's what you're thinking. First let me say that I usually tip above and beyond more than what is charged. Its been a few years since I've cruised last but I've been thinking about giving our steward an international calling card to allow him to get in touch with his family. What I'm wondering is that with technology being how it is these days are the pay phones on shore an obsolete form of communication and are no longer used?

While a good idea, and discussed here from time to time, I would suggest not to do this. On our most recent cruise, around the top end of Australia, where the ship was within reach of shore based cell towers a lot more than any other cruise we have been on, we noticed the crew on cell phones and tablets regularly, using the land based towers for calls, e mails, and even FaceTime.

Asked our room steward about this. She said crew Internet on the ship is more expensive than getting simcards, so most crew have international cell and data plans, and communicate with home that way.

So, I think in the end, the crew would probably prefer the money.

Edited by CruiserBruce

I know that's what you're thinking. First let me say that I usually tip above and beyond more than what is charged. Its been a few years since I've cruised last but I've been thinking about giving our steward an international calling card to allow him to get in touch with his family. What I'm wondering is that with technology being how it is these days are the pay phones on shore an obsolete form of communication and are no longer used?

I think that the majority of the crew us a smart phone an on shore internet to keep in touch not many using the traditional phone.

I would think yes, pay phones onshore are obsolete. We use Facetime and a friend of mine told me that he communicates overseas using Skype. Skype calls to Skype calls on smartphones are free. There are lots of ways for people to call for free today.

I agree with other posters.

About fifteen years ago, we had a fantastic stewardess on the Norway. She was from Romania, a law student who had run out of money and taken a contract with NCL to earn the money she needed to finish her degree. We wanted to do something that showed a little personal effort, and since Norway had the same ports every time, we bought a calling card in one of the ports, knowing she'd eventually have time off there to use it. She was very touched by the gesture. BUT that was 15 years ago.

Now, if a cruise terminal has free wifi, you'll see crew sitting around talking on their cellphones, emailing, skyping. No more long line at the pay phones where they would wait to make a short call home. I think it has to be one of the best advances in "crew comfort" in recent years. They're far from home, and I'm sure a lot of crew on their first contracts are homesick. Staying in touch means a lot, but they don't need our help to do that any more.

Money is the best tip. And if someone is really outstanding, remember that you can mention his/her name in your questionnaire. I think there's also some kind of card you can fill out and drop off at the front desk if you want to recognize someone special. (Cunard has "You're a Star!" cards. I forget what HAL calls their equivalent)

I agree with the other responses. Just give the same amount in cash and I am certain it will be more appreciated, after all, they can use the cash to buy the same card that you do (unless you are getting them at some sort of a discount).

Edited by DaveOKC

Thanks for the responses. I suspected that cell phones and Skype has made pay phones obsolete but I wasn't sure.

Cold Cash it is

I almost always show love for the crew by naming them in my comment cards. There's not enough room to name everyone I can remember though

Thanks for the responses. I suspected that cell phones and Skype has made pay phones obsolete but I wasn't sure.

Cold Cash it is

I almost always show love for the crew by naming them in my comment cards. There's not enough room to name everyone I can remember though

Now that the comment card is an online survey, you can pretty much provide as many attaboys as you like. I believe that there are also compliment cards at the front desk, although I usually just use our in room stationery.

I agree with other posters.

Money is the best tip. And if someone is really outstanding, remember that you can mention his/her name in your questionnaire. I think there's also some kind of card you can fill out and drop off at the front desk if you want to recognize someone special. (Cunard has "You're a Star!" cards. I forget what HAL calls their equivalent)

HAL has "Let Us Know" cards available at the front office. I fill out lot of them.

Another point that has not been brought up - we all assume that they have family home to call. What would they do with the card if they don't have people at home to call?

Money is king.

DON

Cash is king. I bought an international calling card before our Jan, 2014 Panama Canal cruise. There were no working pay phones to be found at or near the port in Aruba or Curacao. I've still got the darn card!

That's the problem. Pay phones are becoming so scarce I'm surprised when I see one. They used to be on every corner in the olden days :D.