Cruise Cards Demagnetizing

SteerageJack

We've never had to rekey on Princess, fortunately, but carry only cell phones on vacation and in separate pockets. Perhaps getting one of those Mylar protective sleeves or metal security cases designed to protect credit cards from identity thieves would work?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78

One would think.....but as I said, the spouse's card worked fine tho mine didn't. If it had been the lock wouldn't you think that the spouse's card would NOT have worked.

Here's hopping that there is no problems with the card on the up coming cruise. :)

Perhaps Post #14 from Loonbeam might explain your situation. Who know?? ;)

According to our daughter who has worked in hotel management, there is a battery in the lock. Sometimes this needs to have the battery replaced and sometimes the complete lock. Not sure on the ships, but I have asked for this to be checked after I needed my card replaced.

The other item we use now- after lots of trips to the front desk- is a very small rfid card holder. Found it on Amazon and is about the size of the cruise card- maybe 2 slots. Sometimes I use it for hotel cards too.

Now I can't say this has solved the problem since I can't prove it but it has definitely reduced the number of trips back to the front desk- and believe me that I did it lots of times!

12 times??!! :eek: This is just me talking, but I think I would have stopped carrying it with my cell phone after, say, the first time it happened.

Even a stupid guy like me could figure that out. I don't typically carry my phone around on board since I have no service available.

Carrying it with a cell phone (or tablet, camera) is what Passenger Services blames it on. But that is beside the point. The issue is that they have technology that is out of date with the environment in which it functions.

So because one out of 4000 had a problem, Princess should upgrade the cards and the locks (which would also have to be changed) on 18 ships with over 72,000 cabins to be changed.

Sound right to me. I am sure it's on the list of things to do, Perhaps not at the top though. Be Patient.

Yep that is exactly my point. I'm the only guy with this problem and I expect Princess to cater to my wacky whims. Next, I expect them to paint the fleet pink since I hate blue and white.

We have been getting 2 cabins and all of our family members carry keys to both cabins. After a few days one of the 4 cards for one of the 2 doors stops working. We end up getting one fixed. The rest work fine. Then a couple days later, another stops working, the rest are fine. So I'm not sure why we had to only get one fixed, not all of them - for us anyways the explanation offered above did not apply. We've come to expect it as a normal part of cruising :rolleyes: - a couple times during the cruise we will just have to get a new card then take both old one and new one to a bar to get a new drink sticker - the cards just don't last the whole trip!

I don't carry my phone or a tablet, but I was putting my card in the side pouch of my vintage Vera handbag when we left the ship. It has a magnet. On board, I carry it in a small shoulder bag with no magnet. I had to get a new card three times before I figured it out. We were on the Royal. I will not take that bag again.

Happened to me twice in a day on our recent Celebrity cruise, previously on a Cunard and Dawn Princess. I think its not just about phone contact as I didnt carry one on the Princess.

We were told on Celebrity it happens all the time.

Edited by Pushka

We had this happen repeatedly on Celebrity Constellation, despite knowing the cautions needed to protect the card.

. The last time it was as we pulled into a port. Many could not log out to get off the ship and there were long lines at guest service to get new cards......they had to admit there was a huge snafu with their system .

Maybe new technology will fix this....it is not always the cruisers who cause it...

If they recode it right, the same code string stays and is just reimprinted. But most people just use the default mode in the keycoders, which is reset...

We have been getting 2 cabins and all of our family members carry keys to both cabins. After a few days one of the 4 cards for one of the 2 doors stops working. We end up getting one fixed. The rest work fine. Then a couple days later, another stops working, the rest are fine. So I'm not sure why we had to only get one fixed, not all of them - for us anyways the explanation offered above did not apply. We've come to expect it as a normal part of cruising :rolleyes: - a couple times during the cruise we will just have to get a new card then take both old one and new one to a bar to get a new drink sticker - the cards just don't last the whole trip!

I've had it happen in hotels...very, VERY aggravating! Credit cards don't suffer the same fate...why should your door key???

It will happen to credit cards if one treats them the same way they treat the cruise cards. Most people aren't typically carrying their credit card right next to the magnets in various device though. (Guess what folks, lots of other things can be damaged by magnets too, like hard drives.)

It's a magnetic strip. Magnets will interfere with it. There's magnets in a lot of things these days. But that doesn't mean the magnetic strip is dead. It's still signficantly cheaper than using an rfid system. I'd guess eventually cruise lines will start going that way, but only when they figure it's cost effective to do so.

Until then, the obvious solution is put all the technology away and enjoy the cruise :). Won't help the ladies with magnetic clasps on their purses though.

There were 5 people in our party and 2 had repeated problems with their keycards. One person had to have a new key made 4 times, the other person, 3 times. None of us carried cell phones because of the high cost of 'cellular at sea'. Who knows what was causing it but 2 out of 5 is pretty high percentage.

There were 5 people in our party and 2 had repeated problems with their keycards. One person had to have a new key made 4 times, the other person, 3 times. None of us carried cell phones because of the high cost of 'cellular at sea'. Who knows what was causing it but 2 out of 5 is pretty high percentage.

DW discovered it was the magnetic cover on her Kindle Fire that caused the problems. It's not just cell phones.

DW discovered it was the magnetic cover on her Kindle Fire that caused the problems. It's not just cell phones.
And it is not only magnetic devices. On most of our cruises I have had to have the card reprogrammed or replaced, and I carry NOTHING in my pocket except for the card and some Kleenex.

Having had a career in the magnetic disk industry I am aware of erasure sources and am very conscientious of exposure - but still it happens.

My wife and I usually place a bet on how long it will be before my card stops working. There is fun to be had in every situation.

...On most of our cruises I have had to have the card reprogrammed or replaced...Having had a career in the magnetic disk industry I am aware of erasure sources and am very conscientious of exposure - but still it happens...

Perhaps you have a magnetic personality :)?

I'm guessing as rf chips become more commonplace, costs will drop and they will soon be in common usage in hotels and on cruise ships. Too many people seem to be having too many problems as it is now.

So I was on a cruise and went down to the shops to buy a ship magnet to put on our refrigerator door along with all the other ones we have collected. I paid for it and put my card back in my front pocket. Then I took the magnet and put it in the same front pocket. I suddenly realized what I had done and it was off to the pax service desk to reprogram the card. Dumb dumb move on my part!

Not only magnets, cell phones, etc, will mess up your sea card but carrying it somewhere where it will be rubbed by a rough cloth will also do it in. Everyone is familiar with static electricity and how to create it so this is what is happening. Be careful where you carry the card.

Your comment about static electricity is interesting. I seem somehow in many different situations to generate a lot. I am constantly zapping people including our cat. You can hear see and feel the static discharge. And I constantly fry cruise and hotel cards.

So I was on a cruise and went down to the shops to buy a ship magnet to put on our refrigerator door along with all the other ones we have collected. I paid for it and put my card back in my front pocket. Then I took the magnet and put it in the same front pocket. I suddenly realized what I had done and it was off to the pax service desk to reprogram the card. Dumb dumb move on my part!

Not only magnets, cell phones, etc, will mess up your sea card but carrying it somewhere where it will be rubbed by a rough cloth will also do it in. Everyone is familiar with static electricity and how to create it so this is what is happening. Be careful where you carry the card.

I did not know it could happen that way with static electricity.

Thanks, Tony

I had it happen several times on the Royal. It was not my phone (as I don't carry it while cruising) but turned out to be one of my cameras. I carry my card on a lanyard and usually carry a pocket sized camera around my neck. After the second trip to Passenger Services Desk I figured out it was my big SLR camera causing the problems. :D