Project Edge - Status

Wayneair

My DH and I don't even like the S Class ship staterooms, at least the inside we had on Silhouette. Terrible storage, closet bar so high I could not reach, over the bed storage so high I could not reach. Granted the bathrooms are nice but there's no clothesline in the shower to hang wet and sweaty gym clothes or bathing suits. Desk right across from bed so every time you wanted to pull the chair out from the desk you would hit the bed. Who designs these things???

This preliminary design for Project Edge is no better.

Yes, they have. But this looks even worse because it looks like the shower is completely open to the toilet. I really hope Celebrity doesn't go with this bathroom design and sticks with what they have on Solstice.

Or at the very least takes the best ideas of this design and tweaks it.

Celebrity, please run this design by some focus groups of REAL cruisers before you implement it.

One thing I did see on Anthem of seas this year, was a large sink area in the buffet restaurant, behind a glass screen, allowing for easy proper hand washing before eating, that I did like!

That is awesome! I would rather wash with soap than Purell all the time. We are not going to defeat superbugs much longer if we keep using that stuff.

Not sure I understand the one balcony with only one chair on it. Maybe I am looking at it wrong?

I think I like the decor and then I think maybe not. It's too plantation looking. When I am on a ship I think I would like more plush. It can be clean lines, but there is something about this that looks sterile. I think they need to soften it up. Maybe it's the wood floors in addition to the very dark wood heavy furnishings. It needs better balance...AND MORE STORAGE.

Some of the beds shown are too short for normal people. Not sure whether this was an oversight, or intended to make the room look bigger. This design needs a LOT of work. What are they thinking with that bathroom design? It's not even a good one for a person traveling alone. The designer who came up with such a small closet space should be fired. Like many "trendy" designs, it seems to be all about looks over functionality.

I would not want to spend a week or two in this room at any price!

Or at the very least takes the best ideas of this design and tweaks it.

Celebrity, please run this design by some focus groups of REAL cruisers before you implement it.

They said that this is what they did when they designed the cabins for the "S" class. According to Celebrity at the time a group of women were consulted on the design. See how well that worked out with the storage units over the bed and the difficult to reach closet. Just give me a functional cabin and a good mattress and I'm happy.

They said that this is what they did when they designed the cabins for the "S" class. According to Celebrity at the time a group of women were consulted on the design. See how well that worked out with the storage units over the bed and the difficult to reach closet. Just give me a functional cabin and a good mattress and I'm happy.

I might be mistaken, but I thought the group of women were brought in to consult only on the bathroom. And, the bathroom on S class ships is amazing.

I might be mistaken, but I thought the group of women were brought in to consult only on the bathroom. And, the bathroom on S class ships is amazing.

You might be correct. Guess the rest of the cabin was designed by tall, thin men :)

MikeMary4449: Based on this design we would NEVER book this type of cabin. We dislike EVERYTHING about it, specifically the split bathroom, the lack of closet/storage space, the "bowling alley type" flooring, the small balcony, and the overall minimalist décor.

This, in our opinion, is NOT Modern Luxury

Except for that stupid bathroom design, I think the room looks really nice. But your post about the flooring did get me thinking about noise that will be caused from rooms above. With hard floors, every room on the ship will be like being under the pool deck.

Edited by Aquahound

I was told by a staff member that all those concerned with this project had to sign a non disclosure agreement.

Beyond that I have not heard a hint from anyone.

I guess someone at HQ forgot about the non disclosure agreement. Otherwise, this designer's illustrations wouldn't be posted on the Internet for everyone to speculate about.

I guess someone at HQ forgot about the non disclosure agreement. Otherwise, this designer's illustrations wouldn't be posted on the Internet for everyone to speculate about.

I'm certain that this type of thread will be filled by rumors and hearsay. Did I mention that a Captain told me that the new ships will have ...?

A Captain did tell me a few things, but I had to sign a non disclosure form. One of these statements is true.

Edited by Orator

It looks like the design firm, Q2XRo posted these on their web-site, so I don't think it had anything to do with Celebrity.

Read the bottom of the designer's web page:

+Project EDJE, Celebrity Cruises. Softroom Ltd. Year 2015

Softroom Architects were asked to design the Stateroom for the new Celebrity Cruises fleet. The EDJE stateroom concept offers a fascinating opportunity to re-imagine what “Modern Luxury” can mean for the Celebrity Cruises guest. Featuring leading-edge design and technology, the EDGE stateroom is differentiated from competitors by looking at fresh sources of inspiration. The concept looks to step beyond the ordinary to create a unique and engaging stateroom experience that responds to the diverse needs and behaviors of the guests.

Our concepts for the Edge stateroom build upon its Modern Luxury positioning. Designed with an informal simplicity, the staterooms bring the outdoor feeling inside. It is an adaptable, reconfigurable and customizable space giving control back to the guest. Materials offer a warm, fresh and modern take on luxury.

It is important to remember that cruising is still a distinctly maritime experience. As well as evoking the island hideaway the EDGE stateroom also takes inspiration from classic nautical design with highly crafted detailing.

+Proyecto EDJE, Celebrity Cruises. Softroom Ltd. Año 2015

Softroom Arquitectos fueron seleccionados para diseñar el camarote para la nueva flota de Celebrity Cruises. El concepto camarote EDJE ofrece una fascinante oportunidad de volver a imaginar lo “Lujo moderno” puede significar para el huésped Celebrity Cruises. Con un diseño de vanguardia y la tecnología, el camarote de EDGE se diferencia de sus competidores examinado nuevas fuentes de inspiración. El concepto va más allá de lo ordinario para crear una experiencia única y atractiva camarote que responde a las diversas necesidades y comportamientos de las personas.

El concepto para el camarote se basa en un posicionamiento moderno con respecto al mundo del lujo. Diseñado con una sencillez informal, los camarotes traen la sensación al aire libre dentro del crucero. Es un espacio adaptable, reconfigurable y personalizable dar control a los huéspedes.

Es importante recordar que el crucero sigue siendo una experiencia marítima. El camarote se inspira en el diseño náutico clásico con muy detalle elaborado.

all images copyright Celebrity Cruises & Softroom Ltd

Bookmark and Share

Los Comentarios están cerrados.

About me

About me

My name is Curro Perez Alcantara, Arb Architect with a Master in Industrial Design and experience in Archicture and Interior Design practices. I am a creative profesional with a high knowledge in architectural drawing, able to go from the big picture to the detail of a project. Thanks for visiting my portfolio.

Share this!

Share on facebookShare on twitterShare on emailShare on gmailMore Sharing Services

RSS My Blog

Casa Hemeroscopium

François Champsaur

Studio Gustav

Juergen Teller

Vincezo de Cotiis

Edited by C-Dragons

I'm certain that this type of thread will be filled by rumors and hearsay. Did I mention that a Captain told me that the new ships will have ...?

A Captain did tell me a few things, but I had to sign a non disclosure form. One of these statements is true.

And this is something Celebrity has kept pretty tight in the past, usually the first thing we hear about new ships is a big press release at the first steel cutting. This will then be followed by relevant press releases.

Why should the opinion of women be confined to the bathroom? It seems wrong.

Oh how I wish the layout was only put up as a joke - but sadly probably not.

What a mess! Hard floors? Sink outside the bathroom?? One chair on the balcony??? It appears the design is to pack as many people into as small an area possible (looks very cramped).

If this is in anyway what will be produced I can guarantee we are one pair of Elite + passengers that will not sail on this class.

Sorry Celebrity but, as shown, this is a big time loser.

Why should the opinion of women be confined to the bathroom? It seems wrong.

I agree! We can shape this design up in no time! Starting with shoe cubbies in the closet area! :)

What do we think about a Murphy Bed in the wall where the sofa is located? I think it would be great if they could figure out how to have a sofa in the room and behind the wall have a Murphy bed somehow pull out for sleeping. It would be much more comfortable.

Wall-Beds-1-600x536.jpg.38abfa66f0d6ff99fe03bc804ff19650.jpg

It appears the design is to pack as many people into as small an area possible (looks very cramped).

Sorry Celebrity but, as shown, this is a big time loser.

You got that right. The ships are smaller than S Class but will have more passengers than S class.

The two 2,900-guest, 117,000-gross-registered-ton ships, developed under the project name EDGE will build upon the modern luxury experience of the brand's Millennium and Solstice class vessels.

Solstice Class are 2,850 guests, 122,000-gross-registered-ton ships.

Go figure!

Well, I despise a sink outside of the bathroom and if that is a toilet on the right and a separate shower on the left, NCL tried that on the Epic and people hated it. I like the rest of it but as insane as this sounds, I won't go on these Edge class with a sink in the cabin area or a shower with no room to get changed.

Sorry but I have a few more comments to get off my chest.

The architect has obviously never been on a cruise.

That small closet would not hold the clothing for one person on a 14-night cruise, much less for 2 people. Well, the ships could be designed for 3 and 4 night cruises only. :(

Where are the drawers to store folded clothing (underwear, t-shirts, knit pullover shirts, etc.)? I am sure the one area that looks like drawers is actually the mini bar. We can't forgo any money makers, now can we?

Where would you put the toiletries around that small sink? Why the heck would the sink be in the cabin? NCL learned this years ago with the Epic.

Everyone who has been a cabin under the upper deck knows how loud certain shoes are on bare floors/decks. High heals will keep everyone awake in the middle of the night.

Dear Celebrity - please tell me what I am missing. PLEASE. Like it or not, you will be driving people away this this type of cabin/ship. Of course, this may be deliberate to get everyone to fight for suites so you can charge extreme rates and make more money.

My head keeps spinning the more I look at this. :)

I like it a lot. Storage might be an issue but that's something you always have to contend with on a cruise. Since it's a concept I'm sure there will be many weeks to it, most notably, the addition of multiple seats to the balcony.

The design is very contemporary and exactly what i'd expect from a line that describes it's self as a modern luxury. Current modern, not 1980/90s modern.