Project Edge - Status

Wayneair

Some things that I've heard floating around:

1. 20% of cabins will be Suites.

The focus of Celebrity is now on the high margin passenger and sales of Suites is strong.

Addition of Luminae and Michael's Club access for CS or higher have proven successful.

Look for this trend to continue. As a result:

2. No Inside Cabins of the new ships.

Many at Celebrity want to eliminate the "bargain" cruiser claiming that margins are too

small and problems that are created are large.

3. Larger and faster Lifeboats.

Someone told me that one goal is to create a larger ship that will have access to ports

normally visited by smaller upscale lines. Would take "A ship within a ship" concept to

a new level.

These are only rumors I've heard that appear to me the most likely to be true, but remember,only rumors and not factually supported by anyone involved in the project.

Many at Celebrity want to eliminate the "bargain" cruiser claiming that margins are too small and problems that are created are large.

You jest, but this one might not be too far off. Princess eliminated all oceanviews on their new ships, and interiors are limited.

You jest, but this one might not be too far off. Princess eliminated all oceanviews on their new ships, and interiors are limited.

I believe that the Inside cabins would need to be eliminated to create space. If #1 is correct it would create the need for more space for Suites. From what we know the ships will be smaller than the S Class with more passenger capacity. That means less, perhaps much less, space for common areas. Any design concept would need to compensate for this. Clearing space that would normally go to insides might accomplish this. I have said far too many times that cruising is a copy cat industry. If something appears to be working on one line, others will go in the same direction.

Edited by Orator

Some things that I've heard floating around:

1. 20% of cabins will be Suites.

The focus of Celebrity is now on the high margin passenger and sales of Suites is strong.

Addition of Luminae and Michael's Club access for CS or higher have proven successful.

Look for this trend to continue. As a result:

Many at Celebrity want to eliminate the "bargain" cruiser claiming that margins are too

small and problems that are created are large.

3. Larger and faster Lifeboats.

Someone told me that one goal is to create a larger ship that will have access to ports

normally visited by smaller upscale lines. Would take "A ship within a ship" concept to

a new level.

These are only rumors I've heard that appear to me the most likely to be true, but remember,only rumors and not factually supported by anyone involved in the project.

Hmmm...larger lifeboats? Maybe Celebrity will consider making one of them a "floating" dining venue....

Hmmm...larger lifeboats? Maybe Celebrity will consider making one of them a "floating" dining venue....

Great idea. That could be a real hit in some of the ports. Imagine just floating around in Venice or Mykonos. Not so good on a TA perhaps. Bet they could get a good fee.

Luminae will have to be much larger if 20% of pax are eligible to dine there. Looks like they'll need that extra space from the insides ;). Perhaps the 'floating dining' will then be more of an attractive option :eek:?

Michael's Club would also need to be much larger. I see some real design problems, but confident that they will be solved. It's amazing what the designers do with space.

Reflection holds 3046 but it's also 126,000

Reflection is our least fav S class ship....it had a crowded feel to it.

Too many pax without larger spaces, although BLU is a bit larger

Spa and solarium are on diff levels......not a plus for spa lovers but the spa is awesome.

They truncated the upper nightclub that is not on top level ...no panoramic view

Round bar at aft splits that area, making it tough to enjoy any musicians playing back there...

Original S class ships are great, Silhouette was a good next step....but would not return to Reflection ( which does have a loyal following out of Miami)

we'll look forward to trying the new ones...good to have many choices!

Why not? I can understand not wanting to use them, but why does it matter if they simply exist? :confused:

No, please no laundromats on board!

Do not want to see pax hauling their laundry up and down the corridors......

putting dryer racks on the balconies...

the laundry service offered is sufficient, esp with the special offers....

being near any laundry room will be a noisy location....machines and laundry doers.

Edited by hcat

No, please no laundromats on board!

Do not want to see pax hauling their laundry up and down the corridors......

putting dryer racks on the balconies...

the laundry service offered is sufficient, esp with the special offers....

being near any laundry room will be a noisy location....machines and laundry doers.

Ok. Just wondering. I would never do my own laundry either, but I've been on ships with laundromats and if I didn't happen upon them, I never would have known they existed.

Reflection is our least fav S class ship....it had a crowded feel to it.

Too many pax without larger spaces, although BLU is a bit larger

I didn't feel Reflection was more crowded. The ship is 2-1/2 ft wider than her sisters, and 6-1/2 ft longer. The increased dimensions and other design changes has allowed the addition of extra capacity to many of the venues:

196 more passengers: (3,046 vs 2,850 on Solstice)

- 245 more loungers on its expanded pool deck

- 45 additional seats in the Celebrity Theater

- 118 added seats in the Oceanview Café

- 24 additional seats each in Blu and in Tuscan Grille

- 4 additional seats in Qsine

- 40 additional seats in the main dining room

According to one website that posts passenger to space ratios, Reflection has more space than Solstice. It is Silhouette that should feel more crowded, with more passengers but no additional apace added:

SHIP..........................CAPACITY....MAX......CREW.......RATIO

Celebrity Constellation....2,034.......2,538......1,000.......35.86

Celebrity Eclipse............2,850.......3,145......1,250.......38.75

Celebrity Equinox...........2,850.......3,145......1,250.......38.75

Celebrity Infinity............2,046.......2,550......1,000.......35.69

Celebrity Millennium.......2,034.......2,538......1,000.......35.86

Celebrity Reflection........3,030.......3,270......1,250.......39.42

Celebrity Silhouette........2,886.......3,184......1,250.......38.38

Celebrity Solstice...........2,850.......3,145......1,250.......38.75

Celebrity Summit...........2,034.......2,538......1,000.......35.86

Celebrity Xpedition.........90...........95...........64...........29.92

(source: http://www.shipcruise.org/cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings/)

Edited by SantaFeFan

Except for that stupid bathroom design, I think the room looks really nice. But your post about the flooring did get me thinking about noise that will be caused from rooms above. With hard floors, every room on the ship will be like being under the pool deck.

Sinks outside the bathroom remind me of the old Holiday Inn and Ramada Inn designs. Yuk. The wood flooring not only is noisy (imagine high heels at midnight) and a killer on your arches.

Sinks outside the bathroom remind me of the old Holiday Inn and Ramada Inn designs. Yuk. The wood flooring not only is noisy (imagine high heels at midnight) and a killer on your arches.

I'm guessing that the flooring is some type of resilient material that looks like wood flooring. A bare wood floor is certainly not what I consider luxury.

Could this be a leaked concept drawing of the new ships? Celebrity did say they will take their environmentally friendly ship designs to higher level both in terms of using sustainable materials and fuel efficiency.

proa-web.jpg

Just kidding!!!! It is quite fun to start a new rumor, however! :D:):p;)

Edited by sloopsailor

Could this be a leaked concept drawing of the new ships? Celebrity did say they will take their environmentally friendly ship designs to higher level both in terms of using sustainable materials and fuel efficiency.

proa-web.jpg

Plus the new ship will be built in China.

proa-web.jpg

This pic gives a whole new meaning to "Sky Suite"....

Celebrity, please bring back the ladies to consult on your cabin interior designs. If the renderings shown in the posts above are what you are considering, I for one will be very disappointed. I believe most cruisers want comfort and luxurious decor, not a stateroom that appears to be minimalist. The S class showers are a major selling point for us and in part why we book Celebrity over other lines with shower curtains.. As others have pointed out, the sink placement outside the toilet area may not be the most hygienic of arrangements.

If you really want to improve the bathroom design add rain showers and retractable clothes lines please.

Celebrity, please bring back the ladies to consult on your cabin interior designs. If the renderings shown in the posts above are what you are considering, I for one will be very disappointed. I believe most cruisers want comfort and luxurious decor, not a stateroom that appears to be minimalist. The S class showers are a major selling point for us and in part why we book Celebrity over other lines with shower curtains.. As others have pointed out, the sink placement outside the toilet area may not be the most hygienic of arrangements.

If you really want to improve the bathroom design add rain showers and retractable clothes lines please.

The reason that the S class do not have clothes line is that is is a little difficult to put them in an a curved glass shower door. Easy to do on the rectangular showers on the M class. Choice to be made = shower curtain and clothes line or no shower curtain and glass door.

Edited by Christine Frances

Sorry - still liking the idea of having the sink outside the toilet/shower area. I love the idea that I can wash my face, brush teeth, put on makeup while DH hogs the shower. Having the extra private bathroom space (for two people) is one of the big things I miss about cruising.

I didn't feel Reflection was more crowded. The ship is 2-1/2 ft wider than her sisters, and 6-1/2 ft longer. The increased dimensions and other design changes has allowed the addition of extra capacity to many of the venues:

196 more passengers: (3,046 vs 2,850 on Solstice)

- 245 more loungers on its expanded pool deck

- 45 additional seats in the Celebrity Theater

- 118 added seats in the Oceanview Café

- 24 additional seats each in Blu and in Tuscan Grille

- 4 additional seats in Qsine

- 40 additional seats in the main dining room

According to one website that posts passenger to space ratios, Reflection has more space than Solstice. It is Silhouette that should feel more crowded, with more passengers but no additional apace added:

SHIP..........................CAPACITY....MAX......CREW.......RATIO

Celebrity Constellation....2,034.......2,538......1,000.......35.86

Celebrity Eclipse............2,850.......3,145......1,250.......38.75

Celebrity Equinox...........2,850.......3,145......1,250.......38.75

Celebrity Infinity............2,046.......2,550......1,000.......35.69

Celebrity Millennium.......2,034.......2,538......1,000.......35.86

Celebrity Reflection........3,030.......3,270......1,250.......39.42

Celebrity Silhouette........2,886.......3,184......1,250.......38.38

Celebrity Solstice...........2,850.......3,145......1,250.......38.75

Celebrity Summit...........2,034.......2,538......1,000.......35.86

Celebrity Xpedition.........90...........95...........64...........29.92

(source: http://www.shipcruise.org/cruise-ship-passenger-capacity-ratings/)

Very interesting chart

but we felt more crowded on Reflection than on Silhouette...,guess alot depends on how many were on board, the activities chosen, weather outdoors, many other variables...like the truncated nightclub, layout of some other areas,

pools and hot tubs were the same size and very busy....

guess we just did not like Ref while others say it's their favorite

Hope the new ships allot enough space for reading, sitting, etc....non revenue producers but places that make cruising relaxing!