Project Edge - Status

Wayneair

During heavy seas and, sometimes during mildly rocking seas, some cabin walls have a tendency to make popping and creaking sounds. I can just imagine what the popping and creaking the hardwood floors, if they are hardwood, will make in the cabin. :eek:

I'm sure the cabin designs will be totally different by the time Celebrity rolls out the official plans.

Sorry but I have a few more comments to get off my chest.

The architect has obviously never been on a cruise.

Where would you put the toiletries around that small sink? Why the heck would the sink be in the cabin?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I totally agree on this one. Where do you put your "stuff"? There is no room over there, and I really do not want to perform my night time rituals in the open room for all to see. It's just weird. The bathroom layout is perfectly fine as it is on S class ships. If I need extra space, I am perfectly happy going to the gigantic spa to shower in a huge shower and get ready down there!

I am sure there will be many more renderings, but this one is not very functional, and as much as I like a wood floor, I don't think I would appreciate it on a ship. I am sure it will be laminent (sp?) and not real wood anyway.

Celebrity, you can do better.

Have faith people.

I have no direct comments about functionality, but overall I think the design is beautiful and love how the outside and inside flow.

My comment is to thank all of you who say you'll never sail on the ships. This will keep prices down, and ships less crowded for those that will try it out for ourselves to see if we like it and the many announcements and new features yet to come :D

One thing I've learned, especially on boats, nothing is perfect, everything is a compromise, and you can always pay more to get more (space, food, horsepower, etc).

Happy sailing,

Jenna

You got that right. The ships are smaller than S Class but will have more passengers than S class.

Solstice Class are 2,850 guests, 122,000-gross-registered-ton ships.

Go figure!

Reflection holds 3046 but it's also 126,000

I doubt these were final drafts....hope not...I do not see a need for a shower with changing glass...gimmicky! Sinks in the cabin area seem very retro...

but with some tweaking and enlargement and especially more storage....they will probably have alot of WoW factor...if not in the stateroom, in public spaces.

Does anyone actually know whether Softroom Architects are the chosen designers for the cabins? Perhaps they were just tendering along with others?

If they are, then I would expect there to be quite a few changes from the renderings we have seen.

Would people getting out of the shower immediately wash their hands? After all, they just touched a dirty door knob. Reducing noro should be a primary consideration.

Looks like the balcony has an indoor/outdoor chair or chaise. I guess that's the "flexibility" that is discussed. You can drag dirty furniture around.

The size difference is about 4% smaller in gross tons (VOLUME). The S-Class are quoted as carrying 2850 so not a lot different than the 2900 quoted on the new Edge Class. Either way, they're only roughly 60 ft shorter but 3 feet wider (that's a lot of feet over nearly 1000 ft long and 13-17 decks and only the final design will determine if this actually makes a difference into how the ships feel. Heck, if they use a more plumb bow and a shorter tail they could be very similar.

I'll judge it, when I sail it.

Happy sailing,

Jenna

Does anyone actually know whether Softroom Architects are the chosen designers for the cabins? Perhaps they were just tendering along with others?

If they are, then I would expect there to be quite a few changes from the renderings we have seen.

That a very good observation, I considered that earlier today.

Sinks in the bedroom remind me of cheap US Motels and British Guest Houses in the 1970s, not modern luxury. what next communal toilets at the end of the corridor?

If Disney are doing it and people who love Disney love it, then why is that a reason for Celebrity to do it? I don't equate Disney with Modern Luxury (no matter what they charge).

Are Four Seasons / Mandarin Oriental doing it? Not, are Disney doing it?

Who wants to be washing themselves in a sink in the corridor by the door to their room.

is the basic concept of a bathroom so wrong?

Quick obsevation. If this company successfully won the bid for the work wouldnt they be bound by commercial confidentiality clauses that would stop them from publishing the design for others to copy / ridicule?

Perhaps they have been ruled out as potential design consultants if they are allowed to break those confidentiality rules. With bad design results like this, one can only hope! :D

Edited by SantaFeFan

That's a good point Minz56. It's entirely possible that several companies were brought in, and made mock-ups and/or illustrations. This may (or may not) be one of numerous stateroom concepts being considered.

I could be wrong on this... but I wouldn't bet the house, that final decisons have been made. FWIW, I hope not, as I'm not loving it.

One final note : I totally agree that before Celebrity finalizes any stateroom concepts - they should have focus groups of cruisers offering their insights.

Edited by Host Andy

Well, I have to say that I hope Andy is right about this not being set in stone yet. I've never been wild about the design of the Solstice Class veranda cabins:

-- wasted space all over the cabin;

-- tiny closets, with no overhead shelf;

-- bed-side shelves, instead of real nightstands;

-- the weird-shaped cup-board over the bed -- which I can't reach;

-- no retractable clothesline in the shower/tub;

On the positive side, I do like the shower doors (better than that overly friendly curtain :eek:). And, while there is a lot of storage in the bathroom, I don't really want to store my clothes in there.

From what I've seen/heard about Edge, is just sounds like X is doubling-down on the design mistakes from Solstice, instead of fixing them. :( Hope that they come to their senses soon -- this COULD be a really lovely ship!

Why should the opinion of women be confined to the bathroom? It seems wrong.

They weren't confined to the bathroom, they were brought in to design the entire cabin. The wonderful web site will not allow me to go back several years on the press releases or I would post the release.

Why not? I can understand not wanting to use them, but why does it matter if they simply exist? :confused:

I was in a cabin very close to the Laundry on another line. This was a cabin to avoid at all cost. Constant noise at all hours.

I seriously doubt that they would be added since they would take space that could be used for revenue producing cabins or venues. My guess is that the new builds will be heavy in Suite cabins and passengers who can pay the cost of that type of cabin will not desire to do their own laundry. Many in fact will receive free laundry as part of their cabin package.

I don't mind if they add a self service laundry or not, but wouldn't want a cabin anywhere near the facility!

From what I've seen/heard about Edge, is just sounds like X is doubling-down on the design mistakes from Solstice, instead of fixing them.....

Where have you been seeing information on the Edge class to get the feeling that they are copying the "mistakes" of S-class? I have been scouring the internet for information and the only thing I have found to date is what was said in their original press announcement and on this tread.

I'd like to read whatever else you have. Please point us in the direction of your information.

Sweet Jesus and Celebrity: Please put laundry machines on each floor!.

If I was so budget minded that I needed to do my own laundry on a cruise, I would be booking on the budget lines like Carnival or NCL, not on Celebrity.

Edited by sloopsailor

They weren't confined to the bathroom, they were brought in to design the entire cabin. The wonderful web site will not allow me to go back several years on the press releases or I would post the release.

Seek and you shall find:

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1053712&highlight=