2 ships 1 port different timezones. Help.

dustanltye

Got a quick question you guys might be able to help with. We have some family members cruising out of new Orleans on the same day we are. We will both be in cozumel on the same day and wanted to visit. Question is our time there is 10 to 6 and theirs is 9 to 4. Since they leave out of new orleans is there ship time a hour behind us making there 4 o'clock departure actually 5 for us? Thanks for the help

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The ship will be using the timezone of the embarkation port so you'll need to adjust for timezone. Whenever I've visited Cozumel there's always been another Carnival or Holland America ship that arrived within 2 hours of each other. So typically two ships will be at the pier (the Carnival operated pier) and will have around 5 hours overlapping. Unless there's something special like a Carnival Live concert which puts you in Cozumel until 10 or 11pm.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Got a quick question you guys might be able to help with. We have some family members cruising out of new Orleans on the same day we are. We will both be in cozumel on the same day and wanted to visit. Question is our time there is 10 to 6 and theirs is 9 to 4. Since they leave out of new orleans is there ship time a hour behind us making there 4 o'clock departure actually 5 for us? Thanks for the help

Where are you cruising out of, Florida? When is the cruise? Before or after daylight savings time ends?

Your time would be 10:00-6:00 ET

Their time would be 10:00-5:00 ET

Cozumel will either be the same as Central Time or Eastern Time depending on if it is before or after Daylight Savings Time Ends, respectively.

Edited by dioxide45

Yes. You will actually arrive before they are supposed to arrive and therefore be behind them by an hour. So technically, you will be there before you leave and they arrive. You should actually be able to see them for an extra hour because you are eastern time zone and they are central time zone. But then they will have to leave an hour earlier that they will actually have to arrive in Cozumel.

Is that clear?

:D:D:D

Alright, their ship will be there from 9 to 4 Central time, which is the same as your 10 to 5 Eastern. You will both arrive at the same time and be there an extra hour after them.

Edited by HawkIVette

I'll throw one caveat in here. Mexico does not switch to/from daylight savings time at the same time as we do since the US pushed there switching dates out the 2 weeks. So depending on when you cruise.. you may just not get the extra hour benefit. The US changes on November 1st, Mexico changes on 10/25... take that into acount

Edited by sailor_jimc

Seems to me it's not the times it's all about the overlap, as somebody pointed out. I remember when we were there and docked next to the Oasis of the Seas, I could see her deck clocks. I was a little confused when I saw her ship time was an hour different that ours. Then I figured out we sailed from Galveston and she sailed from FL.

Just tell them to meet you at Senior Frog's as soon as they can get off the ship.

I'll throw one caveat in here. Mexico does not switch to/from daylight savings time at the same time as we do since the US pushed there switching dates out the 2 weeks. So depending on when you cruise.. you may just not get the extra hour benefit. The US changes on November 1st, Mexico changes on 10/25... take that into acount

Cozumel is different from the rest of Mexico. Last year, Cozumel (and maybe all of Quintana Roo?) switched from Central time with DSL to Eastern Standard Time all year round. OP sailing in October, will be on Eastern Daylight time out of the East Coast US. OP family coming out of NOLA will be on Central Daylight Time, which is the same as Eastern Standard Time. So friends will be on Coz time. OP will be one hour a head.

Seems to me it's not the times it's all about the overlap, as somebody pointed out. I remember when we were there and docked next to the Oasis of the Seas, I could see her deck clocks. I was a little confused when I saw her ship time was an hour different that ours. Then I figured out we sailed from Galveston and she sailed from FL.

Just tell them to meet you at Senior Frog's as soon as they can get off the ship.

No Sr. Frogs at Puerta Maya pier. Fat Tuesday's/ 3 Amigos, Pancho's Backyard. There is a junior Sr. Frogs at the International Pier, not worth going to from Puerta Maya IMO.

OP should just hang out an hour or so on the ship and wait for family ship to come in. Then meet on pier and head to a beach together.

In answer to OP's ? Yes 4PM Coz/ Galveston ship time is 5PM your East Coast Carnival ship time.

Just remember to check with crew member what time it is before getting off of ship & set watch to that time. Cell phones aren't reliable as I've had it happen to me where when I got off the ship my phone changed to local time without me noticing. Luckily I always make sure to be back early and still able to get 2nd last tender. 😥

There are clocks at EVERY exit....check it before you leave the ship and set your WATCH (not your cell phone!) to ship's time. That way, you will not risk missing your ship because local time is different from ship's time. Your family's ship may be on a different time than yours, so don't take their time-keeping as gospel!!!

So, do all the Carnival ships in the Caribbean pretty much stay on the embarkation port's time? When we sailed Miracle last year, the ship's time was adjusted ahead 1 hour to match the port time in La Paz and Cabo San Lucas, and I was under the impression that this was standard on the Mexican Riviera itinerary. I wonder why Carnival does this on the West Coast but not in the Caribbean?

So, do all the Carnival ships in the Caribbean pretty much stay on the embarkation port's time? When we sailed Miracle last year, the ship's time was adjusted ahead 1 hour to match the port time in La Paz and Cabo San Lucas, and I was under the impression that this was standard on the Mexican Riviera itinerary. I wonder why Carnival does this on the West Coast but not in the Caribbean?

Yes in the Caribbean, most Carnival ships stay on embarkation port times. There can be exceptions, but I believe it's the Captain's call. That may have been what occurred on the Miracle for you, as well.

When are you going? I ask because this makes a lot of difference in Cozumel.

Cozumel local time is the same as EST, and never changes.

When are you going? I ask because this makes a lot of difference in Cozumel.

Cozumel local time is the same as EST, and never changes.

See his signature in #1 and #15.

People are giving advice on checking clocks etc. I think what his intent here is about timing so he can meet up with friends coming in on Elation the same day so they can meet at a sensible time.