Ridiculous up-charges

Sandtrap328

I am currently on the Infinity and having a wonderful time.

We have the Premium Bev. Package. That package covers wine by the glass up to $13. Last night at Blu, I ordered a Poilly Fume (spelling does not count) and it was $13.50. I had two glasses and actually had to sigh the chit for $1.18. I know it is built into the computer system but ...?

I think some common sense would be used either to raise the package limit to cover basic wines - as $13.50 was the standard price - or to lower wine prices to be covered by the premium limit.

The printing, signing, and reconsiling the extra .50 probably costs more than the upcharge.

We have the Premium Bev. Package. That package covers wine by the glass up to $13. Last night at Blu, I ordered a Poilly Fume (spelling does not count) and it was $13.50. I had two glasses and actually had to sigh the chit for $1.18. I know it is built into the computer system but ...?

I think some common sense would be used either to raise the package limit to cover basic wines - as $13.50 was the standard price - or to lower wine prices to be covered by the premium limit.

The printing, signing, and reconsiling the extra .50 probably costs more than the upcharge.

There will always be a glass of something a bit higher than the limit. Raise it to $14.00 and it will be the same if you order a glass that cost $14.50. Raise it to $15.00 and, well, you get the idea, right?

Hey, at least you have the Premium pkg and didn't have to cover it all!:D

We totally agree with the poster;) . Making the wine $13.50 vs the covered $13 per glass premium pkg is not done in error but imo by design to increse profits no matter what :eek:. when this happens good will is lost & those things tend to spread:o

We totally agree with the poster;) . Making the wine $13.50 vs the covered $13 per glass premium pkg is not done in error but imo by design to increse profits no matter what :eek:. when this happens good will is lost & those things tend to spread:o

I don't know, but I doubt that the price is being set to screw the people who purchase the premium package. It is more like likely $13.50 because that is what the normal markup comes to when rounded.

What percentage of passengers actually get the premium package? I'd guess 5-20% depending on the cruise. What percentage of those drink a wine that happens to be $13.50? Probably not many.

X cannot make every detail perfect for every passenger, and often the chips fall where they may.

I don't know, but I doubt that the price is being set to screw the people who purchase the premium package. It is more like likely $13.50 because that is what the normal markup comes to when rounded.

What percentage of passengers actually get the premium package? I'd guess 5-20% depending on the cruise. What percentage of those drink a wine that happens to be $13.50? Probably not many.

X cannot make every detail perfect for every passenger, and often the chips fall where they may.

Prices for liquor are set by management . When management sets the prices they are totally aware of the limits for the premium liquor package . So then why upset a customer for a lousy 50 cents ,if they cared ?

:confused: Really???

I agree with the OP. Many of the wines were covered, including her favorite, when the package was first offered. About a year ago prices for many by the glass wines were raised and now fall outside the package. It seems to me that the package should have been raised from the $13 per glass limit to at least $14. I believe that the Poully is the only wine at $13.50 so the gesture wouldn't have added much cost, but would have made it appear that Celebrity was giving more for the money. Celebrity needs to think in terms of Cost-Benefit!

Edited by Orator

I'm OK with paying the $0.50 or whatever it is. It seems petty but as a couple others have said that is probably the price that worked out and no one bothered to increase/decrease.

What I found interesting on my last cruise on the Equinox some bars charged the $0.50 and others didn't. I appreciated not being charged but found it odd....

My bigger issue with the Premium Bev package is the limited number of wines available. The wine list has double the number of wines (in the same per bottle price) yet only a small selection of them are available by the glass. Given the huge percentage of people on the package it would seem logical that they increase the choices... but what do I know. :eek:

My bigger issue with the Premium Bev package is the limited number of wines available. The wine list has double the number of wines (in the same per bottle price) yet only a small selection of them are available by the glass.

This!

Last February, they were clearing out a number of bottles of Chateau St. Michelle Riesling. It is a favorite of mine. It is not normally on the package list, but because it was being phased off and there was not a lot left, it was quietly put on the available but not listed by the sommelier. I enjoyed drinking it for over a week.

Now, why isn't it on the available by the glass list on the package all the time? It costs under $10 per bottle at the local market, so I would think if they were going to stock it, they would include it in the package. They don't, however. As a result, I'll drink something I enjoy a little bit less, because I don't want to purchase a full bottle when I have the package.

I agree with the OP. Many of the wines were covered, including her favorite, when the package was first offered. About a year ago prices for many by the glass wines were raised and now fall outside the package. It seems to me that the package should have been raised from the $13 per glass limit to at least $14. I believe that the Poully is the only wine at $13.50 so the gesture wouldn't have added much cost, but would have made it appear that Celebrity was giving more for the money. Celebrity needs to think in terms of Cost-Benefit!

Agreed, Charles. To make matters worse: On our recent Infinity Cruise, they were out of at least one of the top-end wines, covered by the Premium Package. My DH's favorite Bordeaux was out of stock, on day one of the cruise. The Sommelier told him that he had the choice of one of the cheaper reds on the package -- or to pay the difference, for a wine over the $13 limit. :(

Your post reminds me of the old Talking Heads album, Stop Making Sense;)

Agreed, Charles. To make matters worse: On our recent Infinity Cruise, they were out of at least one of the top-end wines, covered by the Premium Package. My DH's favorite Bordeaux was out of stock, on day one of the cruise. The Sommelier told him that he had the choice of one of the cheaper reds on the package -- or to pay the difference, for a wine over the $13 limit. :(

I would have quietly spoken to the head sommelier. We have always been offered wines priced above our beverage package. sometimes it is something they would like to move - selections and availability definitely change - and other times they simply offer something a bit special. Cannot imagine your "wine guy" would not have the authority to do that.

The percentage of passengers on the premium package is as low as that ? Quite surprised.

Why make an issue of it?.....if the .50 bothers you get a $13.00 wine....there is an adequate selection......

Prices for liquor are set by management . When management sets the prices they are totally aware of the limits for the premium liquor package . So then why upset a customer for a lousy 50 cents ,if they cared ?

Hi Everyone,

Some excellent points made here. I realize that some may get bent out of shape over a small upcharge. However, expecting Celebrity to *not* charge it, doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint. If you were to take 1 dollar, a few hundred times per cruise, and multiply it by roughly 20,000 guests sailing per week, 52 weeks a year ? The total amount of potential lost revenue, would be staggering. As for those suggesting that's Celebrity's plan - I highly doubt it. With some smart thinking, I believe there's a solution that would make most everyone happy.

While I'd have no problems paying a small surcharge, that's a personal choice. IMO, if the .50 cent upcharge bothers anyone, accept it the first time, and choose another item included in the package, the next time. FWIW, I was very surprised to hear that some feel there's not enough selection in the per glass wine list. Perhaps Celebrity needs to look at this.

While I strongly believe that Celebrity tries their very best to provide an outstanding cruise experience.... things may not be "perfect" for all, and at all times. I think TomBeckCruise made a great comment, when he stated X cannot make every detail perfect for every passenger, and often the chips fall where they may.

It would be great if Celebrity might consider reviewing the pricing & availability of wines included in the package, and see if they can arrange a better "fit" within the pricing structure. Let's hope this thread will encourage Celebrity to look into this.

Edited by Host Andy

Hi Everyone,

Some excellent points made here. I realize that some may get bent out of shape over a small upcharge. However, expecting Celebrity to *not* charge it, doesn't make much sense from a business standpoint. If you were to take 1 dollar, a few hundred times per cruise, and multiply it by roughly 20,000 guests sailing per week, 52 weeks a year ? The total amount of potential lost revenue, would be staggering. As for those suggesting that's Celebrity's plan - I highly doubt it. With some smart thinking, I believe there's a solution that would make most everyone happy.

While I'd have no problems paying a small surcharge, that's a personal choice. IMO, if the .50 cent upcharge bothers anyone, accept it the first time, and choose another item included in the package, the next time. FWIW, I was very surprised to hear that some feel there's not enough selection in the per glass wine list. Perhaps Celebrity needs to look at this.

While I strongly believe that Celebrity tries their very best to provide an outstanding cruise experience.... things may not be "perfect" for all, and at all times. I think TomBeckCruise made a great comment, when he stated X cannot make every detail perfect for every passenger, and often the chips fall where they may.

It would be great if Celebrity might consider reviewing the pricing & availability of wines included in the package, and see if they can arrange a better "fit" within the pricing structure. Let's hope this thread will encourage Celebrity to look into this.

As I told the original poster, Pouilly-Fumé, is 100% Sauvignon Blanc. I suggested that the OP try to find a Sauv Blanc, because it's got the same flavored profile - seeing that it's the exact same grape. The only difference is that Pouilly-Fumé has a bit of a smoky note, hence the Fumé, which means smoked.

I realize that you may find this crazily controversial, but I assure you that it's true. It directly addresses the OP's wine concern, and supplies a helpful alternative.

On the subject of up charges, it's odd the wine stewards - especially the ones who are called sommeliers - don't have alternatives at the ready. Assuming that they've passed the Level I sommelier exam, they ought to be able to provide an alternative within the confines of the premium package.

Edited by POA1

There will always be a glass of something a bit higher than the limit. Raise it to $14.00 and it will be the same if you order a glass that cost $14.50. Raise it to $15.00 and, well, you get the idea, right?

Hey, at least you have the Premium pkg and didn't have to cover it all!:D

I agree 100%. If you didn't want to spend the .50 order something under the $13 and be happy!

I am currently on the Infinity and having a wonderful time.

Question poster... I see you are a golfer, if you went and paid for 9 holes but wanted to go ahead and play the back 9 would you expect to do so for free? Being a business owner myself it upsets me when I offer a product at a certain amount ans people want it for less. I have been very successful by being fair and great customer service just like I feel Celebrity is with their offerings. Enough about this and just be happy you were on the cruise.

I really don't understand the OP's point. The package has a ceiling above which you pay the difference. The OP ordered a more expensive glass of wine and was charged in accordance with the package conditions. What is there to complain about?