Temperature in public areas?

RayWitt001

Just wondering what the temperature is like in public areas onboard (i.e. while eating in the dining room) as to whether I need cardigans, or short sleeves will be fine. I assume these areas have air conditioning?

Ship: Diamond Princess to South Pacific - if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

The temps are comfortable to a little cool. I pack sport jackets, short sleeve shirts, long sleeve shirts and a light weight sweater.

I wear them all (I usually take longer cruises). I have been comfortable in whatever I am wearing.

I will say that a full theater can get warm, through, so you may want to shed a layer for the show....

Depends on your body's temperature tolerance. I found that the ship in general, and MDR in particular are quite cold. You could hang meat in the MDR! One night, my sister was reduced to asking for a tablecloth to use as a shawl! This was the British Isles in July, but it was the same way in the Baltics in July and the Caribbean in February. YMMV...

The temperature in the public areas seems to vary greatly by ship. On the old Rs, Ocean, Pacific, Royal, you could use the MDR as a meat locker. My wife was always cold.

We just got off the Regal Princess. The temperature in the public areas was more moderate. Many evenings in the MDR, I was quite warm in a sports coat after dinner. At the same time, my wife was freezing.

My advise is to take a wrap. You can always hang it over the back of the chair if you are too warm.

It is a constant HVAC battle to drag down the humidity in a water rich environment like a cruise ship without turning passengers into icicles.

George

Thank you for your replies. I think I will be safest taking a couple of cardigans or wrap to wear over tops. Living in Melbourne I am used to layers. Didn't want to waste baggage space on something I wouldn't need, but seems they may come in handy.

I guess if they suggest men wear tuxedos or suits for formal nights they can't have the temp too warm or they would all melt.

Just wondering what the temperature is like in public areas onboard (i.e. while eating in the dining room) as to whether I need cardigans, or short sleeves will be fine. I assume these areas have air conditioning?

Ship: Diamond Princess to South Pacific - if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Sometimes 50% too warm. Sometimes 50% too cold. It's all relative.

What do you consider too warm? Too cold?

And, as always, prepare to dress in layers.

That way, you can strip down to what you feel is comfortable

Good luck.

Thank you for your replies. I think I will be safest taking a couple of cardigans or wrap to wear over tops. Living in Melbourne I am used to layers. Didn't want to waste baggage space on something I wouldn't need, but seems they may come in handy.

I guess if they suggest men wear tuxedos or suits for formal nights they can't have the temp too warm or they would all melt.

My wife always has a sweater with her in the evening. I don't dress to the max so I'm comfortable at dinner, but I have gone into certain venues and been chilled. It varies. You can certainly control the cabin temp and we are pretty conservative with the AC.

My wife always has a sweater with her in the evening. I don't dress to the max so I'm comfortable at dinner, but I have gone into certain venues and been chilled. It varies. You can certainly control the cabin temp and we are pretty conservative with the AC.

Since you will be cruising the South Pacific, a nice Hawiaan shirt (not those gaudy ones the tourist wear) for the man, and long Hawiian dress, for the lady is fine for dining in the MDR, even on Formal Nights. No need for tux or suit. Please, don't wear matching his and her Hawaiian design at same time. It's so kitsch and screams tourists. For dinner in MDR, wear shoes, not beach sandals, flip flops, or thongs, and you'll be fine. A sweater, shawl or wrap if it getts chilly.

BTW: aren't cardigans passé and old fashioned these days?:p

Edited by Kingofcool1947

A sweater, shawl or wrap if it getts chilly.

BTW: aren't cardigans passé and old fashioned these days?:p

Really? Most women's wear stores here sell them pretty much year-round. I didn't know I was so out of touch at my senior age of 33. I would have thought a shawl more "old fashioned", but then I do own a couple of those too...

P.S I won't make my husband wear a cardigan - but then he doesn't own any anyway, plus he's warm blooded and has been known to wear short sleeves in the middle of winter.

I was advised by a friend, who is Elite with Princess, to bring a long sleeved jacket with me as the Public Rooms can be cool. I asked her would a suede jacket be suitable-I have a suede skirt in a similar toning shade, and she said, "That sounds good, warmth and looking smart Business style."

I may be attending the Dawn Service with my cousin on the way down from their property to Circular Quay, so will NEED the suede outfit and a long sleeved top in the morning-it can get chilly. Have noted to pack a crocheted beanie and scarf, don't want to get to Embarkation and start sneezing!

Due to Cancer treatment, I'm quite used to dressing in layers of clothing, some days I'm alternating between too hot and then getting too cold almost continuously! But at least I am one of the lucky people who have survived cancer for over 10 years, some people aren't that fortunate.:(