Allergic Reaction - Hives

cruisin2604

We have been on 4 cruises, my son has broken out in hives over most of his body on 2 of the cruises. This past summer was the worst. Has anyone else ever experienced this on a cruise or have any idea what could be causing it. It is hard for us to pinpoint due to "all" the different foods, someone even suggested the salt air could be causing it. Would love to know if anyone else has any ideas??

Take his own sheets/blanket. And make sure he's showering very well after each beach or water activity. Since you said his whole body (versus his arms or legs) it could be a lot of things. I agree with the heat, salt air, sand, new foods, chlorine combo in the pools, etc....

But showering as soon as possible with his soap and using his own safe towels may help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel for you. I had hives once...(I was 30 with no prior allergies). The internal kind in my joints. My hands looked like I punched a wall. Very painful. Started having trouble breathing and went to ER. They said could have been as minute as a different preservative in a salad bar. Never found what caused it. This was 20+ years ago and only instance.

My daughter will get hives anytime she runs a fever or gets overly stressed. Luckily, Benadryl fixes her up. Neither of us have had any allergy testing.

Hives can be brought on by so many different variables. Would discuss with his doctor to see if he suggests testing or simply proactive doses of Claritin, Benadryl, or such.

Good luck. Not something to mess around with after 2 separate issues. Many allergic reactions will get worse after each exposure so definitely check with Dr.

I used to break out in small bumps all over my legs and arms that were very itchy. It took me awhile to figure out what was causing it, so I did a test.

I have sensitive skin, so I thought maybe the strong detergent that they used was too much for me and I had a reaction. I vowed to wear long pants with a short sleeved shirt for the entire duration on my next cruise. My results? My legs were fine, but my arms had those tiny, itchy bumps. Since then, I knew for sure that I was allergic to the laundry detergent. Crazy!

We have been on 4 cruises, my son has broken out in hives over most of his body on 2 of the cruises. This past summer was the worst. Has anyone else ever experienced this on a cruise or have any idea what could be causing it. It is hard for us to pinpoint due to "all" the different foods, someone even suggested the salt air could be causing it. Would love to know if anyone else has any ideas??

Best way to deal with this is to take your son to an allergist immediately after an outbreak. Asking here can only give you non definitive possibilities.

I feel for you. I had hives once...(I was 30 with no prior allergies). The internal kind in my joints. My hands looked like I punched a wall. Very painful. Started having trouble breathing and went to ER. They said could have been as minute as a different preservative in a salad bar. Never found what caused it. This was 20+ years ago and only instance.

My daughter will get hives anytime she runs a fever orgets overly stressed. Luckily, Benadryl fixes her up. Neither of us have had any allergy testing.

Hives can be brought on by so many different variables. Would discuss with his doctor to see if he suggests testing or simply proactive doses of Claritin, Benadryl, or such.

Good luck. Not something to mess around with after 2 separate issues. Many allergic reactions will get worse after each exposure so definitely check with Dr.

I hadn't heard of this until about 6 weeks ago.

My DD & her boyfriend took their 1st road trip through mountains and she got so scared driving a mountain road that she broke out in hives from head to toe!

Absolutely, OP, take your son to an allergist.

It could be anything from the cruising environment from sand fleas to a sun allergy to laundry soap on board.

I've got a son with a severe nut allergy, and if it was me, I would get a skin test before I went any further. It's simple and not too uncomfortable and will most likely give you some idea of what to watch out for.

This being said, my poor kid reacted to the saline control during his test (the one that supposed to show a neutral/non-reaction) which they said just means he has super sensitive skin. He will always have a lot of redness and sometimes minor hives when he goes in the saltwater. It doesn't cause him discomfort so we just ignore it.

There are some good ideas in the posts above mine, but some of them may be over kill. If you vacation at the beach and have no issues, then you can probably eliminate the "sea air", salt, sand and sun.

Logic points to a sensitivity to the detergents used in the bedding and towels. I would suggest bringing your own bedding and towels for his use. It is probably also important to have some benedryl along at all times until you figure out what is causing the problem

The best option would be to visit an allergist, explain the problem and let the physician determine the problem and how to fix it.

Edited by zqvol

My DD had been on a few cruises before her legs and arms broke out. We finally came up with a reaction to the detergent. For the next three cruises she brought her own sheets. After that she seemed to be over the reaction. Maybe cause she was older, maybe they changed their detergent. Who knows?

I agree. Have him tested.

Definitely get him tested as suggested. However, keep in mind that unless there is a specific food or spice, the allergist may never know what caused it. It's a mystery game and can even be a combination of things. But others have given good possibilities. The two that he broke out in, were they the same cruise line? Do you remember when it started (after a meal, in the morning, etc)? Did it last the entire cruise or come and go?

I would speak with the physician about this to get his/her take.

With that said it could be the sheets on the bed. I know several people this has happened to.

You could have your TA contact the cruise line ahead of time to ask that the sheets be washed differently.

Keith

Edited by Keith1010

If it is the laundry detergent, instead of bringing a whole set of sheets, there are silk and also cotton sleep bags for travelers and campers who use them as liners for outdoor sleeping bags.

I had a reaction once caused by too much intensive sun on my winter skin.

• Like 1

Just about anything could cause the hives. An allergist can test your son to rule out some possible causes. But they can also test for so many allergens at one time so tell the doctor what was going on before the reaction took place.

My daughter had two skin tests that had negative results but she was definitely reacting to certain plants (many people here have planted nonnative ones so that complicates matters), to overfertilizing lawns (when the wind blows that stuff into the air, her nose starts running), to stress, and to laundry detergent. That last one I figured out after a doctor suggested she was allergic to berries. I tried an allergen-free detergent and that cleared up her rash. A few cruises ago, when we were going to do laundry, someone offered my hubby the last of her Tide -- before I got to the room with the detergent I had brought -- and hubby put in the washer. My daughter did get her rash back. (now that she's in college, I send her the allergen-free pods to do her laundry with).

Just in case you don't have definite causes by the next cruise, pack bed linen for your son as well as Benadryl.

Not usually an allergy person but on a couple of hoilidays, land and sea and very occasionally at other times I would have a problem. Did all the usually 'trying to rule out' but with very limited success. Finally, after many years ii have realised it is processed grapefruit, the sort often available in the buffet areas of hotels, cruise lines etc! Obviously I didn't have every day, or every holiday for that matter but I am so glad I know what it is now!

If trying the obvious doesn't work out (sun cream, bedding..) I would suggest keeping a simple food diary for him and you may, like I did eventually, spot the culprit.

Best way to deal with this is to take your son to an allergist immediately after an outbreak. Asking here can only give you non definitive possibilities.

What they said, only go to an allergist whether there's an outbreak or not. They can provide a broad-spectrum sensitivity test with dozens of common allergens on an array of pins, plus one control pin that will absolutely make you react to the allergen. I had one of those multiple tests, and only the control one made me itch.

If I was doing something that caused my children or myself a medical issue, I would probably stop doing it until a professional (in this case a medical professional) figured it out.

I suggest putting your child's health first, seek medical advise and stop cruising until you have an answer.

• 3 years later...

I’m currently on a NCL cruise and when I wake up in the morning I am scratching my ankles and lower leg. I feared bed bugs and pest control checked everything thoroughly but there were no bugs. When I take my shower in the morning the itching stops and I’m fine throughout the day. It’s the bedding that’s causing the reaction. My long pajamas ride up at night so it still occurs. I’m going to sleep with socks also for the remainder of my cruise. This is cruise #9 and it has never happened before. I’ll have to bring my own bedding on my next trip.