Stateroom Sickness

Rockgod

Hi,

My Family and I have just returned from the Diamond Princess, Singapore to Sydney.

In the last 4 or 5 days ALL of us ended up with a cough at some stage, some worse than others (I myself am only just recovering after a week back).

My parents in another room on another level were the same.

My thought was that it was caused from the constant air blowing while we sleep (a real issue for me when I travel) and there is no way to adjust the air other than the temperature.

Anyone else have any issues as described?

Rock

3 weeks after returning from our cruise in June I had to go see the doctor because the cough that I had picked up on the cruise was not getting any better. She told me that she has seen numerous patients with "Cruise Cough" and in her opinion it was caused by the air inside the ship, her advice was to spend as much time as possible outside and to leave the balcony door open slightly while sleeping. I have done 31 cruises and thinking back I have often returned home with a cough though they have usually cleared up within a week, this is the 1st time I had to see the doctor for medication.

I am sure it is common to catch something when you are around new people from many places. Do any of you experienced cruisers have methods to avoid the colds/coughs. I am thinking airborne but would love to hear what works for you all. Going to Alaska I am sure I will want to spend my time outside with the views.

My only advice is to keep up on your yearly flu shots, and get them early. I get mine by the last week of September. Every year that goes by you add to the "inventory" of virus resistance. A good immune system is a good defense.

Keep your sinus cavities healthy, too. I use NeilMed sinus rinse, and so does my husband. If we feel any throat irritation, congestion, ear twinges, we use the rinse. I also push against one nostril while VERY GENTLY pushing the solution into the opposite eustachian canal.

With us it starts in the sinuses and migrates into the bronchial tubes.

I am sure it is common to catch something when you are around new people from many places. Do any of you experienced cruisers have methods to avoid the colds/coughs. I am thinking airborne but would love to hear what works for you all. Going to Alaska I am sure I will want to spend my time outside with the views.

I always take Airborne with us when we travel. Sometimes we use it and sometimes we don't. It just depends what is going around the ship.

I always take Airborne with us when we travel. Sometimes we use it and sometimes we don't. It just depends what is going around the ship.

I wish I could take Airborne and some of the other remedies, but those that have large doses of Vitamin C or Zinc give me tummy problems, so I can't take them.

To avoid any virus, keep your hands away from your face. We keep our balcony door open to let the fresh air in and the stagnant air goes out. I learned this trick early on in our cruising days. Haven't been sick on any cruise. Same goes for airlines but that is a bit more tricky. You're in closer quarters and the worse cold I got was on an airline going to Las Vegas. The woman sitting behind me was hacking and coughing the whole way. It took me a month to recover. UGH!

3 weeks after returning from our cruise in June I had to go see the doctor because the cough that I had picked up on the cruise was not getting any better. She told me that she has seen numerous patients with "Cruise Cough" and in her opinion it was caused by the air inside the ship, her advice was to spend as much time as possible outside and to leave the balcony door open slightly while sleeping. I have done 31 cruises and thinking back I have often returned home with a cough though they have usually cleared up within a week, this is the 1st time I had to see the doctor for medication.

I would look for another doctor fast! These issues are caused by viruses,, NOT air conditioning. I'm questioning where she got her medical degree.

My son would always sleep in the upper bunk and would always get sick. We would go the on board doctor and were told that it was bronchitis from the AC blowing on him.

Once the last doc told us this we moved to a bigger cabin so he is not in a bunk anymore. He has his own bed and has not gotten sick again:)

My only advice is to keep up on your yearly flu shots, and get them early. I get mine by the last week of September. Every year that goes by you add to the "inventory" of virus resistance. A good immune system is a good defense.

Keep your sinus cavities healthy, too. I use NeilMed sinus rinse, and so does my husband. If we feel any throat irritation, congestion, ear twinges, we use the rinse. I also push against one nostril while VERY GENTLY pushing the solution into the opposite eustachian canal.

With us it starts in the sinuses and migrates into the bronchial tubes.

I also use Neil Med sinus rinse once a day. On board ship I use it religiously twice a day. It has changed my life. It is rare I get a sinus infection, it is truly a miracle. I order distilled water from the Special Needs Dept before I board.

The other good advice is to crack the slider for fresh air.

Air conditioning in certain circumstances can make people more susceptible to virii by drying out nasal and sinus passages. That said, given the conditions that ships operate in, humidity is not normally an issue, except maybe in the opposite direction. You are far more likely to experience this on a plane (which is one reason its important to hydrate when flying).

What can happen on a ship, especially with inside and ocean view cabins where external air is not entered is contaminants like mold and bacteria (and to a lesser extent virii) such can build up in the ventilation systems. If not maintained, these can cause issues. Ships are usually very good about this, but it can be an issue especially if you are susceptible.

Leaving the balcony door open can actually make the situation worse, as it can increase the humidity of the room beyond the aircons ability to adapt, forcing it to run more and providing a fertile ground for contaminant growth.

If you find the air too dry, there are many small travel bedside humidifiers you can get for about $15, they are small, you just use an empty water bottle.

Being outside on Alaskan cruises is highly temperature dependent. Most people stayed inside for our north and southbound cruises in September. And there were colds, flu, sinus infections, and I contracted pneumonia.

I would get a balcony room so that you can be outside or in with your own germs. Try to avoid the coughers and hackers.

I would look for another doctor fast! These issues are caused by viruses,, NOT air conditioning. I'm questioning where she got her medical degree.

Walgreen's?:D

Edited by Treven

I love NeilMed, however, it's hard to travel with it. I always travel with Boiron Flu-like symptoms aka Oscillococcinum (works really well). They are small and you simply have to dissolve pellets in mouth. I usually pop one in my mouth when traveling. The other thing I travel with is Clorox Bleach free hand sanitizer. I use it on hands after handling utensils in buffets, touching handrails, in the room, etc. I also travel with Colloidal Silver. My chiropractor has 5 children under the age of 11. He's a strong advocate and says you should have this available for the cold and flu season. You simply take one teaspoon a day for 3 days. You can purchase it at GNC, Hi Health, or Sprouts. You can also buy small bottles of colloidal silver nose spray. My husband has always liked Zycam pills or lozenges. All of these items are small and very easy to travel with and the best thing is they work well.

In addition to hand washing I travel with Germstar Noro hand sanitizer. It is especially useful at meal times. :)

I also use hand wipes to wipe down airplane seats/trays and our stateroom....it may be overkill but I want to do all I can to have a wonderful vacation.

Have a great cruise! :)

Edited by BroncoLvrs

Airborne starting a week before the cruise straight through until I return home! Nozin during flights works well, too. I am religious about hand washing, and I always Lysol the room when we board. Use elbows or knees to touch elevator buttons, and don't touch the handrails unless you're at risk of injury, of course.

OP, in 1999 on our Alaska cruise, hundreds caught a URI from the ventilation system spreading the germs all over the ship. It was all over the news. It isn't necessarily that the A/C causes it but that it is a carrier of existing germs from fellow pax. As someone else said, it dries out the nasal passages, too, which makes you susceptible to getting sick. I hope you all feel better very soon!