No good solo good rates directly through Princess or Carnival....

Galleon1234

Here is a thread that is going on the Carnival site on Cruise Critic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47957437#post47957437

Yes and Princess is doing the same thing. I can not understand why they would rather allow a Travel agent to give you a better solo rate than you can get directly through them. I prefer to book directly with the cruise line. They have to pay the Travel agents a fee why would they not give it directly to their stock holding customer. As a stock holder I question the mentality of that decision. Keep your customers that like to cruise happy! I had a long discussion with Princess customer relations with a person that was pretty high up yesterday. They give the TA special promotion rates to sell out their ships. So why not offer it directly to the customer as well.

Makes no sense to me....! Princess is also a Carnival company!

Princess is also a Carnival company!

You can't compare the pricing and marketing practices used by the two cruise lines owned by the same holding company. Carnival owns 10 different cruise lines that all operate independently. The best pricing deals on Princess are through T.A.'s. Princess allows T.A.'s to discount fares and/or add extra on board perks which can get you a better deal than booking direct with Princess. That is the way Princess operates. There are some posters on these boards that are expert solo cruises, maybe they will offer some advice.

Here is a thread that is going on the Carnival site on Cruise Critic

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=47957437#post47957437

Yes and Princess is doing the same thing. I can not understand why they would rather allow a Travel agent to give you a better solo rate than you can get directly through them. I prefer to book directly with the cruise line. They have to pay the Travel agents a fee why would they not give it directly to their stock holding customer. As a stock holder I question the mentality of that decision. Keep your customers that like to cruise happy! I had a long discussion with Princess customer relations with a person that was pretty high up yesterday. They give the TA special promotion rates to sell out their ships. So why not offer it directly to the customer as well.

There prime interest is NOT the solo traveler. More bodies on board means more revenue. They are not in the business of charity.

Actually, I do not see it as Charity... I was going to take a solo cruise because my husband can't go right now. It is actually a fact finding cruise to see if we want to take a 33 day cruise on the ship as I explained to customer relations. I prefer to book directly with the cruise line so I can talk to the cruise line. If you book with a travel agent the cruise line will not talk to you. You have to direct all of your questions through the TA that I have found are not always available.

Actually, I do not see it as Charity... I was going to take a solo cruise because my husband can't go right now. It is actually a fact finding cruise to see if we want to take a 33 day cruise on the ship as I explained to customer relations. I prefer to book directly with the cruise line so I can talk to the cruise line. If you book with a travel agent the cruise line will not talk to you. You have to direct all of your questions through the TA that I have found are not always available.

Princess could not afford to alienate TA's who provide service to clients and sell Princess' inventory. If Princess cut them off at the knees, they would just sell RCCL, or whatever else works for them.

And it is false to state Princess won't talk to you if booked with a TA. I cannot speak for other cruise lines, but I talk to Princess whenever the topic suits. If it's a question about policy, something aboard, pre-purchase, excursions, etc, you can talk to Princess. You need to deal with TA for any changes, upgrades or payments on your booking. I called Princess to link our booking and friends' booking for dining at night together. We are booked with two different TA's so that was fine (if we were with same TA, they would prefer you to have the TA do it). I too like to deal directly with Princess, but accept that if I want to save money with a discount and OBC, I need to talk to a TA sometimes.

Edited by steelers36

Shadow, booking direct is great for what you want to accomplish...but that does come at a cost. This is not new on Princess, it has been this way for years, so it might just be new to you. But your best pricing direct with Princess will be higher than what a discount TA can give you. Just a fact; what you do with that information and how you proceed is your choice.

Eta-and everything Steelers36 said while I was typing.

Edited by cherylandtk

Not asking Princess to "cut TA's off at the knee's". Just asking them to offer the same discount to their solo cruisers directly.

I have cruised for years and know the industry quite well.

Princess does not give the same discount that a TA will for a double occupancy cabin.

Not asking Princess to "cut TA's off at the knee's". Just asking them to offer the same discount to their solo cruisers directly.

I cruise solo and save 10-20% using a TA who discounts so I don't understand what you're asking for. Any time you book directly with the cruise line, you're paying the equivalent of a MSRP, the highest possible cost. If I have a question, my TA responds within minutes pretty much any time of the day and night any day of the week, even if it's to say that Princess is closed and she'll have to get back to me in the morning.

Princess does not have the same marketing and pricing policies as any of the other Carnival Corporation brand so they can't be compared. Because Princess allows TAs to discount fares, they won't match any TA's pricing.

The other issue here is that Travel Agents can sell some Flash pricing that booking with Princess can not do (this is not the targeted emails that Princess sends out but last minute specials that agents can sell but direct does not).

This may be the difference the OP is talking about.

Edited by Coral

The other issue here is that Travel Agents can sell some Flash pricing that booking with Princess can not do (this is not the targeted emails that Princess sends out but last minute specials that agents can sell but direct does not).

This may be the difference the OP is talking about.

But this is not specific to Solo fares. All Princess fares can be discounted by a TA.

They give the TA special promotion rates to sell out their ships. So why not offer it directly to the customer as well.

But this is not specific to Solo fares. All Princess fares can be discounted by a TA.

I was addressing the issue that Princess gives TA special promotion rates (Flash) to sell and she was surprised that it is not offered to those who book Princess direct.

I was not referring to discount rates by a TA but Flash rates that TAs offer.

Edited by Coral

Looks like you want Princess to sell at the same rates TAs sell at. Is that correct?

You cant compare the 2 , at least you don't pay double with Princess. Like Pam said find a good TA.

They charge double on most of their cruises. Once in a while, you might get one at 75% more but rarely.

It sounds as though the OP is under the impression that TAs can offer lower single supplements than when booking with Princess directly. I have not heard of this before. As others have mentioned, TAs are allowed to discount Princess fares in general, and sometimes get special "flash" fares as well. Perhaps the OP's is calling it a solo discount to get the booking :confused:?

Edited by SoCal Cruiser78