very disappointed with room change

Charlie Chan

We have cruised with many lines, but this is our first cruise with Oceania. We were very careful about choosing a stateroom and in fact booked an A2 on deck 7 (even though we did not really need the extra benefits which come with Concierge class) as it was as close as possible to our ideal location. We booked many months ago when there was a wide choice of rooms available.

It was not a guarantee - the room number has been on both our travel agent documents and on the Oceania bookings page since we first booked.

I signed in yesterday to see if were possible to book specialty restaurants yet and discovered the room number has been changed. We have been away for 6 weeks so I have no idea when this may have happened. Certainly, neither we nor our travel agent was informed of this change. It is still an A2 - so not an upgrade.

Our agent has contacted Oceania who have apparently said some early bookers were moved to more 'desirable' cabins location wise. This seems very strange to me. The location is not one we would choose. We have been told this cannot be changed.

I have searched back through previous posts and have found very few instances of this happening. I know it is not the end of the world, but it is important when the cruise is 30 days.

We have emailed head office and expressed our dissatisfaction. I don't know what else we can do.

I know all you can give me is sympathy! However, I'm hoping someone from Oceania may also read this. We have been so looking forward to this cruise and are disappointed that that someone at Oceania can make such an arbitrary decision without considering the impact it may have on those who have been affected.

We have cruised with many lines, but this is our first cruise with Oceania. We were very careful about choosing a stateroom and in fact booked an A2 on deck 7 (even though we did not really need the extra benefits which come with Concierge class) as it was as close as possible to our ideal location. We booked many months ago when there was a wide choice of rooms available.

It was not a guarantee - the room number has been on both our travel agent documents and on the Oceania bookings page since we first booked.

I signed in yesterday to see if were possible to book specialty restaurants yet and discovered the room number has been changed. We have been away for 6 weeks so I have no idea when this may have happened. Certainly, neither we nor our travel agent was informed of this change. It is still an A2 - so not an upgrade.

Our agent has contacted Oceania who have apparently said some early bookers were moved to more 'desirable' cabins location wise. This seems very strange to me. The location is not one we would choose. We have been told this cannot be changed.

I have searched back through previous posts and have found very few instances of this happening. I know it is not the end of the world, but it is important when the cruise is 30 days.

We have emailed head office and expressed our dissatisfaction. I don't know what else we can do.

I know all you can give me is sympathy! However, I'm hoping someone from Oceania may also read this. We have been so looking forward to this cruise and are disappointed that that someone at Oceania can make such an arbitrary decision without considering the impact it may have on those who have been affected.

Please see My last post Riviera cabin 11000.

,This happened to me just this week and my travel agent got Oceania to reverse the change and I was given my original booking stick by your guns or ask for compensation

Please see My last post Riviera cabin 11000.

,This happened to me just this week and my travel agent got Oceania to reverse the change and I was given my original booking stick by your guns or ask for compensation

oh no! This is the second time this has happened to one of our roll call members :eek:

rogerb did post recently and he was successful as he states.

I agree with him - FIGHT - and put your TA to work.

That is a shame and I hope it is put right for you - cabins are chosen carefully for a TA and this is NOT right.

Looks like I better check my booking and make sure my PS hasn't been changed. I would not be a happy camper.

Edited by kazu

It also happened to us. Neither our travel agent nor us were notified. Our documents showed the correct original cabin. We found out when we boarded the ship and the new cabin was no an upgrade. I would insist upon your original cabin.

I agree. Your TA MUST fight this. And if they won't give you back your original A2 cabin insist on a huge upgrade to at least a PH.

as long as they don't bump me out of mine :p;) The highest level of concierge cabins and above are all waitlisted on this cruise.

Seriously Charlie Chan, Jancruz is an expert on O - and a lot of experienced O cruisers are posting with the same advice so it makes sense to follow it. Remember, the squeaky wheel gets the grease ;)

and PLEASE do let us know how you make out.

FIGHT this nonsense.

I have had a different horror happen to me this week, which for the time being I will not comment on the details.. My TA is trying to solve the issue....but is shows that there are different hands on the lower level/day to day duties....irrespective what others say about the senior Oceania personnel still being in control.

Wow. This is concerning. I did a ton of research to select my cabin, which is one of only four extend-balcony open-sided cabins on the ship, and I was super-lucky to get exactly the one I wanted (somebody recently cancelled). I'd be pretty irked if they moved me now!

Please do come back and let everyone know what happens. There are many nuances involved in cabin selection, and to think that they would just oust you from your chosen cabin is troubling.

Lee, in our dozen or so O cruises this has never happened to us.

But I, too, am concerned that it MIGHT happen down the road. I hope not.

I don't imagine this happens to people who book top suites, but once you get to the PH level and below it might. (Although it does seem to me that the first person who wrote about this had booked an OC, which would negate my comment here.)

In your case I would suggest being proactive -- write to O (or your TA) first to say that you will NOT entertain a last minute cabin change.

See how that works ...

Mura

This is most unusual and not very common. It has happened to us many years ago on our first O cruise but we were upgraded from a veranda to a PH upon boarding - so that was not too bad.

OP - in your case you should stand your ground and demand your assigned cabin as others have suggested.

Good luck.

This is most unusual and not very common. It has happened to us many years ago on our first O cruise but we were upgraded from a veranda to a PH upon boarding - so that was not too bad.

OP - in your case you should stand your ground and demand your assigned cabin as others have suggested.

Good luck.

Might be unusual and uncommon but it has now happened to two people on the same sailing. and that is just CC people that post. It does give one pause to think and wonder.

What does the contract says about the Companies ability to change accommodations?

I know on Princess RCL and Celebrity their contract states the cruise line has the option to assign staterooms regardless of the customers preference.

Does O's contract contain this clause ?

Before I would "fight" anything I'd sure want to understand the terms and conditions applicable to the contract to which I agreed.

Might be unusual and uncommon but it has now happened to two people on the same sailing. and that is just CC people that post. It does give one pause to think and wonder.

Having spoken to my travel agent the reason for OC attempting to change peoples cabins is that they had a large group booking that wanted to be on one deck together.

Hi all

not wanting to hijack the OP post,but it had just given me cause to look at our booking in June 2016 Glacial Explorer on Regatta and sure enough our room has been changed! The invoice and Oceania's web page shows 7024 yet Oceania's invoice to us shows 7032 ( we clearly stated NOT near a lift!).

What on earth is going on with Oceania's admin????

This means I have to spend time jumping around and trying to get it sorted out..............................................I need a holiday!!!!!

That's for alerting us to what's going on!

regards,

Josie

Having spoken to my travel agent the reason for OC attempting to change peoples cabins is that they had a large group booking that wanted to be on one deck together.

Perhaps this is a reason to accept the change...... One large group on one deck???????? could be problematical. Just a thought.

Thank you very much to all those who have responded . Originally, I did not intend to post as I am not a whinger but when I read roger b’s similar situation, I felt it was important to show that he was not the only one affected. I do feel that this issue needs to be addressed by Oceania, especially as others are also reporting the same problem.

I know that all cruise lines have the right to change cabins, cancel cruises etc so I am not disputing this. I just feel that it would have helped if we had at least been informed of the change. I am normally a glass half full person, and if Oceania had approached us with a reason, I would not feel so antagonistic. We have close to 500 days cruising and this is the first time this has happened. It was not a last minute booking, so I cannot see why Oceania cannot reassign us our original cabin. If we can be moved, so can our “usurpers”.

I have the feeling our agent believes she has done all she can to redress this situation, but I have forwarded to her a link to this forum so that she can see your responses. In the mean time, we have sent a fairly terse email to Oceania in Australia addressing our concerns. Our Australian office is closed until Monday so I will not be able to report anything new until then. We are hoping to have a response to our original email to head office in the next few days.

Jay23 – as you said, it is not a great introduction to Oceania for us. First impressions always count. I also understand your comment about possible large groups.

I would appreciate it if someone could post a phone number/contact (and city) for Oceania in the USA so we can phone from here. When we try to do a search, it reverts to the Australian office. This would give us the chance to escalate this to a higher level.

Again, thank you all for your words of encouragement. We will not give up without a fight!

I want you to succeed, so I feel like I must give you a quick note. Your Agent won't be able to access the link to these boards without being signed in as a member.

I've got a great deal of experience in trying top send links to outsiders ;)

Okay, now the OP has a real dilemma. I would not like to be an interloper booked in the midst of a large group. I can imagine all the visiting between staterooms and the constant conversation in the hall as groups of people peel off and go to their room.

On the other hand, the OP had valid reasons for wanting one very specific stateroom.

No clear answer!!! At least try and get some on board credit for the switch.

Thank you very much to all those who have responded . Originally, I did not intend to post as I am not a whinger but when I read roger b’s similar situation, I felt it was important to show that he was not the only one affected. I do feel that this issue needs to be addressed by Oceania, especially as others are also reporting the same problem.

I know that all cruise lines have the right to change cabins, cancel cruises etc so I am not disputing this. I just feel that it would have helped if we had at least been informed of the change. I am normally a glass half full person, and if Oceania had approached us with a reason, I would not feel so antagonistic. We have close to 500 days cruising and this is the first time this has happened. It was not a last minute booking, so I cannot see why Oceania cannot reassign us our original cabin. If we can be moved, so can our “usurpers”.

I have the feeling our agent believes she has done all she can to redress this situation, but I have forwarded to her a link to this forum so that she can see your responses. In the mean time, we have sent a fairly terse email to Oceania in Australia addressing our concerns. Our Australian office is closed until Monday so I will not be able to report anything new until then. We are hoping to have a response to our original email to head office in the next few days.

Jay23 – as you said, it is not a great introduction to Oceania for us. First impressions always count. I also understand your comment about possible large groups.

I would appreciate it if someone could post a phone number/contact (and city) for Oceania in the USA so we can phone from here. When we try to do a search, it reverts to the Australian office. This would give us the chance to escalate this to a higher level.

Again, thank you all for your words of encouragement. We will not give up without a fight!

I don't think O's toll free number works for you in Australia, so here is the non toll free line 305-514-2300

You could also try posting on their Face Book page. That might get some attention ;)

I want you to succeed, so I feel like I must give you a quick note. Your Agent won't be able to access the link to these boards without being signed in as a member.

I've got a great deal of experience in trying top send links to outsiders ;)

her TA will be able to read these posts. You do not need to be a member nor signed in except for roll calls.

Edited by kazu

That is what happened to us. There was an alumni group. I should have fought for an upgrade or some compensation. A bottle of wine would have been a nice gesture or an OBC.