Free Specialty Dining For 2 Questions

Princess Penguin

We (a group of 8 in 4 cabins) are doing the Ruby's Hawaiian Christmas cruise. When we booked, we received "FREE SPECIALTY DINING FOR 2: On the passenger's behalf, Princess will select a date and time for them to enjoy dinner at a specialty restaurant onboard." Since we have never had a specialty dinner included and have only booked it separately, we have a few questions:

1. Do we pick the venue and time?

2. Can all 8 of us pick the same venue and time?

3. Can we reserve it now or do we have to wait until we are on ship?

Thanks for the help - only 69 days to go. Not that we are excited or anything! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

We (a group of 8 in 4 cabins) are doing the Ruby's Hawaiian Christmas cruise. When we booked, we received "FREE SPECIALTY DINING FOR 2: On the passenger's behalf, Princess will select a date and time for them to enjoy dinner at a specialty restaurant onboard." Since we have never had a specialty dinner included and have only booked it separately, we have a few questions:

1. Do we pick the venue and time? YES

2. Can all 8 of us pick the same venue and time? YES

3. Can we reserve it now or do we have to wait until we are on ship? You have to wait until you are on the ship.

Question: Did you have your travel agent or Princess link the 4 bookings? If not do so. I think you will find when you get to your cabin that there will be a card notifying you of the day and venue you will be assigned. If not happy with the assignment then call the first day and ask to have it changed to what you prefer. Normally they will try to accommodate your wishes. Don't wait to call.

1. Do we pick the venue and time?

2. Can all 8 of us pick the same venue and time?

3. Can we reserve it now or do we have to wait until we are on ship?

Thanks for the help - only 69 days to go. Not that we are excited or anything! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/images/smilies/wink.gif

There will be a card in each of your cabins with an assigned specialty restaurant and dining date/time. If you're reservations are linked, this should all be the same. If not, they likely won't be.

Either way, if it's not the restaurant/time you want, take your cards down to the specialty dining table or area as soon as you can and get it changed. No problems..the sooner you do this though, the more options you'll have.

Enjoy your sailing.

Huh

1. Do we pick the venue and time? No.

2. Can all 8 of us pick the same venue and time? Only if there's availability.

3. Can we reserve it now or do we have to wait until we are on ship? No. Have to wait until you're on the ship.

See my comments in bold. As for choosing time and date, once you receive your assignments, you can call and try to change.

Call literally as soon as you board the ship. By 3pm, it will be too late and everything will be booked solid.

Perhaps on some ships or some sailings, but it's not quite that bad. We've changed nights from an existing booking at least 1 day into the cruise. Also, most times we've gone into CG, it has not been 100% full, so you never know. But certainly to book a table for 8, I would act quickly. Maybe be flexible if the day you want doesn't have it, say you will take 2 tables for 4. If I recall correctly, there are only so many large tables, but like most restaurants, they can move some tables together.

From my understanding your venue and time are pre selected, and will be noted in a card in your room. Princess are very accomodating, just call the dining line once on board, or visit the restaurant of choice. Obviously, the sooner the better, but don't worry yourselves too much about making a sudden dash as soon as you board - it's a holiday after all!

Perhaps on some ships or some sailings, but it's not quite that bad. We've changed nights from an existing booking at least 1 day into the cruise. Also, most times we've gone into CG, it has not been 100% full, so you never know. But certainly to book a table for 8, I would act quickly. Maybe be flexible if the day you want doesn't have it, say you will take 2 tables for 4. If I recall correctly, there are only so many large tables, but like most restaurants, they can move some tables together.
My daughter and I took a short cruise last January and while we didn't have it, there was a specialty dining promotion. When we stopped by at 3pm, every single dining time for every single day was taken and we didn't get to go. So this is a definite possibility. No point in waiting until late if you want to book or change dining day or time. You could be out of luck.

My daughter and I took a short cruise last January and while we didn't have it, there was a specialty dining promotion. When we stopped by at 3pm, every single dining time for every single day was taken and we didn't get to go. So this is a definite possibility. No point in waiting until late if you want to book or change dining day or time. You could be out of luck.

Of course a short cruise with X passengers will have fewer days available to fill all of the bookings.

A seven or ten day cruise with the same number of passengers can spread the demand over more evenings.

As a rule of thumb (and from my personal experience), to get the desired day(s)/time(s) for speciality restaurant reservations, it is recommended to call the 'dine line' ASAP upon entering one's cabin after embarkation. It's the first thing we do after getting on board before heading to the MDR for lunch.

The call is quick and convenient -- versus going (in person) to the separate venues to make reservations.

We've rarely seen a speciality restaurant completely full while dining. I believe the reason being is that there is a set number of persons/tables allowed for staggered reservation times. This may be done so that the upgraded service/dining experience can be maintained as consistent.

I would suggest that if you have a party of eight that is desiring dining together, it would be wise to be in concert with eachother on establishing a set day/time ahead of sailing and make a request for a reservation from the 'dine line' immediately after boarding.

When we were on the Royal in September, we had a card in the room when we arrived that said we had the free specialty dining, but it did not specify the venue date or time. We called late in the day on day 2, and they told us - "you pick the venue and the day", so we asked for the crown grill for the next evening and they told us "no problem". Wow - what a good dinner.

Don

There are two different restaurants the Crown Grill and Sabatini's. Your assigned times and restaurant may not be what all eight of you wish to have. So check this right away and call to make any change. Since many passengers will have the same promo, reservations times can be full. Assign one of the eight to call right away if what you have isn't what you what.

Just returned from the New England Canada cruise on the Regal. We called to change our date and time on the first night aboard. No problem. I was really surprised that the Crown Grill was not full when we dined there. I did make the mistake of ordering the New York Strip steak. It was tough. Sitting here at home I'm wondering why I didn't ask for a different steak. Too late now.

When you get the free specialty dining for 2 as a promo, is the date and time always preassigned for you? We have the Sip and Sail promotions which includes a dinner for 2, but I don't recall anything saying it would be chosen for us. Also, I thought I saw that we will be assigned a boarding time on embarkation day. Does Princess hold you to this? We'll be flying in the day before so would only be sitting around the hotel. Naturally it would be hard to get a dining reservation locked up by 3:00 pm if we're not onboard by then!

When you get the free specialty dining for 2 as a promo, is the date and time always preassigned for you? We have the Sip and Sail promotions which includes a dinner for 2, but I don't recall anything saying it would be chosen for us. Also, I thought I saw that we will be assigned a boarding time on embarkation day. Does Princess hold you to this? We'll be flying in the day before so would only be sitting around the hotel. Naturally it would be hard to get a dining reservation locked up by 3:00 pm if we're not onboard by then!

No need to adhere to the assigned embarkation time. It is really a suggestion by Princess to help smooth out the arrival of passengers.

The dinner for 2 promotions usually have the wording "Voucher will be delivered to the stateroom upon embarkation. Princess Cruises reserves the right to pre-assign Specialty Dining times. Please present the voucher to the Maître D at the specialty dining location indicated on the voucher"

The dinner for 2 promotions usually have the wording "Voucher will be delivered to the stateroom upon embarkation. Princess Cruises reserves the right to pre-assign Specialty Dining times. Please present the voucher to the Maître D at the specialty dining location indicated on the voucher"

I didn't see anything like this and I booked online. But if it IS the case, has anyone had any luck getting it changed? Actually we'd be happy with either specialty restaurant, have enjoyed them both, but we are late diners and wouldn't be happy with, say, a 5:30 reservation. Of course I would speak to the maitre d', but just curious if it has been an issue in the past.

I didn't see anything like this and I booked online. But if it IS the case, has anyone had any luck getting it changed? Actually we'd be happy with either specialty restaurant, have enjoyed them both, but we are late diners and wouldn't be happy with, say, a 5:30 reservation. Of course I would speak to the maitre d', but just curious if it has been an issue in the past.
From what I have read in many threads here (and even in this thread), you can request a change and it's usually honored. Edited by Nezmo