Sailaway from Sydney

Please, how long does it take to depart from Sydney Harbour and sail through the Heads? A friend and I are sailing November 11, 2016 and we'd like to grab something to eat after we cast off from the Overseas Passenger Terminal .

Just looking at the times on my photos from my most recent departure - I stayed out on deck from first movement at 6.06pm at the OPT until we got to the heads at 6.56pm. I would have stayed out a bit longer to do some photos looking back at the harbour and city but the wind that day was out of control.

I agree with all. Food can be found all over the ships at any time - and its just food! That harbour is one of the most stunning in the world and well worth watching every second of departure.

Please, how long does it take to depart from Sydney Harbour and sail through the Heads? A friend and I are sailing November 11, 2016 and we'd like to grab something to eat after we cast off from the Overseas Passenger Terminal and be on deck as we're passing through the Heads to get some photos if possible. I'm physically disabled and on a walking frame so would prefer the Crown Grill or the MDR, Horizon Court, from the photos I've seen, would be challenging for me.

Thanks for your help, we're both Newbie Cruisers. I'm in F315, the Disabled Accessible Window Suite, and he's in an Inside Stateroom on Plaza Deck. He's a former Work colleague who's grandmother lives a couple of units down from me-and she thinks it's wonderful we're sailing together.

Close to spot on an hour.

I tihnk you are on Golden, and I don't know her very well, but often there's a lovely little bar just aft of the buffet where you can sit with some food from the buffet and a drink poo and enjoy the sail away.

I have one of those questions that has no right or wrong answer so I'd really like to hear the views of experienced cruisers.

We are on our first ever cruise from Sydney in early December and I'm in a bit of a quandary. I am intrigued by the idea of "Sailaway" and would love to be on deck for the departure. However, we leave port at 6pm and I have no idea what we might see on the way to the open water and how long that might take.

So my question; is it worth it to forego MDR on the first night to be on deck, or should were really be at the dining room to stake a claim on a table? We do have Anytime Dining so that may influence your answers.

I'm open to all opinions so have at me :)

Go to dinner late and after sailaway, the harbour is fantastic even in bad weather.

As others have said Sydney harbour is spectacular. Do not miss the sailaway or coming in to Sydney if you return here. I live here and I remember my first sail into Sydney harbour. Magnificent. :D

Have a late dinner. I'm assuming you'll have had a late lunch anyway after you boarded.

The advantage of Anytime dining.

As others have said Sydney harbour is spectacular. Do not miss the sailaway or coming in to Sydney if you return here. I live here and I remember my first sail into Sydney harbour. Magnificent. :D

Have a late dinner. I'm assuming you'll have had a late lunch anyway after you boarded.

The advantage of Anytime dining.

And (usually) the advantage of choosing the late dinner sitting. ;)

Sailing out of and back into Sydney Harbour was one of the highlights of my only previous cruise. I will be doing another cruise out of Sydney in December and can not wait for that experience again. It was worth getting out of bed very early to see the sun rise as we headed towards Sydney.

The dining room will be there every other night, don't miss the views during your exit from the harbour!

I agree. I actually preferred the early morning arrival - perhaps because I'm more used to nights in Sydney anyway. But the morning was so quiet, and fresh, with a light rain falling on one occasion. Superb light on the horizon.

Agree with others, sailing out of Sydney is spectacular & not to be missed - an hour truly worth remembering. Have done it 4 times so far, even may have done it with micCanberra & around 3000 of our very best friends :-)

So it's a definite then. Hubby and I on deck with a drink in hand. So another question please? Should I expect another 3000 passengers to join us and if so where do you recommend we would get the best views and least crush? We are on Voyager of the Seas.

Close to spot on an hour.

I tihnk you are on Golden, and I don't know her very well, but often there's a lovely little bar just aft of the buffet where you can sit with some food from the buffet and a drink poo and enjoy the sail away.

Yes, it's the Golden Princess sailing to Melbourne. My friend suggested we have Sailaway drinks in Skywalkers so I'm not bothered by people crowding me. Another poster, who's name I have forgotten-smacks own hand in annoyance-said it's about an hour from cast off to clearing the heads, so cast off is 18.30, and I think we'd be clear of the heads about 19.30. A 20.30 (8.30 pm) reservation at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's is looking good. My vote is for Sabatini's, as I'm in the Window Suite I get breakfast at Sabatini's but my friend doesn't as he's in an Inside Stateroom on Plaza Deck. I've also invited him to have Canapes with me in the Suite, will bring some containers so if necessary, I can pack them and put them in the fridge until we get back from Sailaway.

He suggested sharing the hot tub with me, so might be a game or two of footsie going on. He won't push the boundaries, I've got the Window views and if I don't issue him an invitation to come visiting, he's got to make do (what a hardship) with a deck chair to get some sea views.

So it's a definite then. Hubby and I on deck with a drink in hand. So another question please? Should I expect another 3000 passengers to join us and if so where do you recommend we would get the best views and least crush? We are on Voyager of the Seas.

There will be a lt of PAX after the same view, but far from everyone, a lot will enjoy it from their balcony, a lot won't know what they are missing and others have seen it so often they are a bit jaded.

Agree with others, sailing out of Sydney is spectacular & not to be missed - an hour truly worth remembering. Have done it 4 times so far, even may have done it with micCanberra & around 3000 of our very best friends :-)

I'm glad you didn't include Mic in your 3000 best friends:D:p

Yes, it's the Golden Princess sailing to Melbourne. My friend suggested we have Sailaway drinks in Skywalkers so I'm not bothered by people crowding me. Another poster, who's name I have forgotten-smacks own hand in annoyance-said it's about an hour from cast off to clearing the heads, so cast off is 18.30, and I think we'd be clear of the heads about 19.30. A 20.30 (8.30 pm) reservation at the Crown Grill or Sabatini's is looking good. My vote is for Sabatini's, as I'm in the Window Suite I get breakfast at Sabatini's but my friend doesn't as he's in an Inside Stateroom on Plaza Deck. I've also invited him to have Canapes with me in the Suite, will bring some containers so if necessary, I can pack them and put them in the fridge until we get back from Sailaway.

He suggested sharing the hot tub with me, so might be a game or two of footsie going on. He won't push the boundaries, I've got the Window views and if I don't issue him an invitation to come visiting, he's got to make do (what a hardship) with a deck chair to get some sea views.

Sounds like you have it all planned, you will enjoy it greatly.:D

The pool bar on the deck 11 or the bar at the rear of windjammers tend to be best for drinks and views but there is also the peekaboo at the bow (no bar) that overlooks the bridge.

It was a great day for a sailaway too.

I'm glad you didn't include Mic in your 3000 best friends:D:p

That is because I cannot be included in the common best friend category.:cool:

Yes, one of the better areas although you can also go down a level for the Oasis Bar.

Thanks Mate.

Getting excited now.

We both have one more day at work and then it's a quick trip for family dnner and all packing etc.

I have been missing out on some beautiful sailaways because of preparing for dinner and shows. I thank you all for your words of wisdom. We sailed into NYC at dawn and seeing the statue of liberty all lit up in the early morning sunrise was beyond beautiful. It sounds like this will also be memorable. It is our first and probably last AUS/NZ trip. Not the cruise but the length of flight (22 hours) to get there. So can't wait.

I have been missing out on some beautiful sailaways because of preparing for dinner and shows. I thank you all for your words of wisdom. We sailed into NYC at dawn and seeing the statue of liberty all lit up in the early morning sunrise was beyond beautiful. It sounds like this will also be memorable. It is our first and probably last AUS/NZ trip. Not the cruise but the length of flight (22 hours) to get there. So can't wait.

You will love it.

BTW, their are cruises that come from the US to Australia so that eliminates at least one long flight.:D