Cruise Cancelled!

AZNative2000

While I already posted this on our very sparse roll call, I thought I should post it here as well.

The Oosterdam cruise from Rome to Barcelona, June 29, 2016 has been cancelled.:eek:

The email arrived this morning. No reasons given. (I assume the longer cruise on O-dam starting the same day was also cancelled.:confused:)

We have been offered 3 different itineraries from which to choose. One is for the same dates but with different ports. No Sicily, Malta, Naples, or Tunisia (expected that one would change).

HAL is offering OBC for making the change or complete refund if you cancel.

Edited by AZNative2000

My cruise Oosterdam May 12, 2016 for 12 days was cancelled too. Completely new itinerary. Have option to rebook same dates. Can keep all promos and. onboard credits etc.. Will receive additional credit. A shame. No Sicily. Expected no Tunisia. :(:(:( Customer Service in Seattle told me 12 cruises have been impacted due to the changes.

I'm very sorry for your disappointment. I always feel badly when I read of these charters taking away bookings others have already made and chose carefully for all their own reasons.

Hope you can find another cruise that will please you.

I do not think my cruise is chartered. My same rooms are available to rebook. It was just a complete itinerary change. Still starting and ending same ports. It was just most of the in between was changed. They said in Seattle it was a result of canceling Tunis. :(:(:(:(

What a shame!

they are not offering you OBC if you book a different cruise within say, 30 days?

I hope you can find something that appeals to you.

Sorry to hear this

When our November Nieuw Amsterdam Collectors Cruise was cancelled, we had only a few days to select a cruise from a very small list in order to get ship board credit.

Otherwise they would refund our money. If we chose a cruise not on their list -- no shipboard credit.

Are TA's ever chartered and bookings cancelled?

I haven't heard of any TA's being chartered.

But they can be cancelled. Nieuw Amsterdam is an example. HAL decided last January to keep her in Europe longer this year. People were already booked on her Oct TA. They got bounced just like we got bounced for the first couple of weeks of November on her.

Some people were able to change to the new time schedule for her TA and did get shipboard credit. Others couldn't change their plans so they were out of luck.

What a shame!

they are not offering you OBC if you book a different cruise within say, 30 days?

I hope you can find something that appeals to you.

Sorry to hear this

Assuming it's a charter. I believe it's State Farm that usually has somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 weeks worth of charters, usually in June, in the Mediterranean each year.

The cruise was not chartered. (Yet ...)

The itinerary changed completely. It is still Oosterdam, still starts in Rome and finishes in Barcelona on the same dates but most all of the ports are changed and it has a new cruise number. We were given three cruises (including the "new" O-dam one) from which to select to retain all perks, OBC, etc.

If we don't choose the "corrected" itinerary, our dates completely change, as well as our start/finish ports. So, we'd have to re-do our air and pre-post hotels (independent). Our air was purchased with miles and it may be too late to get business class on the dates we would then need.

Jacqui, we were, indeed, offered substantial OBC for our inconvenience but I'd rather have the other three Italy ports. If we go with the "corrected" itinerary, you won't even need to change the future cruise listing. :-)

Edited by AZNative2000

The itinerary changed completely. It is still Oosterdam, still starts in Rome and finishes in Barcelona on the same dates but most all of the ports are changed and it has a new cruise number. We were given three cruises (including the "new" O-dam one) from which to select to retain all perks, OBC, etc.

If we don't choose the "corrected" itinerary, our dates completely change, as well as our start/finish ports. So, we'd have to re-do our air and pre-post hotels (independent). Our air was purchased with miles and it may be too late to get business class on the dates we would then need.

Jacqui, we were, indeed, offered substantial OBC for our inconvenience but I'd rather have the other three Italy ports. If we go with the "corrected" itinerary, you won't even need to change the future cruise listing. :-)

I'm sorry your cruise was cancelled/rearranged. So many of us say we like HAL for the itineraries, and then you choose an itinerary you like and it gets changed. :(

I suspect they cancelled one cruise and replaced it because of the extent of the port changes. The "fine print" says they may change ports as they see fit, but if they'd just done that, a lot of unhappy people would have cancelled anyway. This way, they're being proactive and controlling the rebooking by giving you a choice of just a few cruises if you want to keep the OBC. I think a lot of people will stick with the replacement cruise because the start and end points are the same. If I had already set up my air and pre/post cruise hotels, I'd be inclined to take the new Oosterdam cruise. Whatever you choose, I hope it turns out to be a good cruise.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Interesting. I see no itineraries for the Oosterdam in June that see her starting or stopping in Barcelona. She ends a cruise in Rome (actually Civitavecchia) on June 29, 2016 and then there's a gap until July 11 when she starts a cruise in Barcelona. Sounds like she's either chartered or going into dry dock between 29 June and 11 July. By the way, only Sicily and Naples are part of Italy.

We received an E-mail from Hal today that for security concerns our stop in Tunisia has been cancelled and replaced with Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.

Our cruise is the 22 day Meditrranean & Passage To America October 28, 2016 on the Eurodam so OP you were correct about Tunisia.

While I already posted this on our very sparse roll call, I thought I should post it here as well.

The Oosterdam cruise from Rome to Barcelona, June 29, 2016 has been cancelled.:eek:

The email arrived this morning. No reasons given. (I assume the longer cruise on O-dam starting the same day was also cancelled.:confused:)

We have been offered 3 different itineraries from which to choose. One is for the same dates but with different ports. No Sicily, Malta, Naples, or Tunisia (expected that one would change).

HAL is offering OBC for making the change or complete refund if you cancel.

We are booked on the cruise before this, finishing in Rome on the 29th Jun, haven't heard anything about ours yet, I will contact our TA today.

Hope they don't cancel, we were really looking forward to this itinerary :(

We are booked on the cruise before this, finishing in Rome on the 29th Jun, haven't heard anything about ours yet, I will contact our TA today.

Hope they don't cancel, we were really looking forward to this itinerary :(

Your cruise is still on the schedule so it only seems to be impacting the time between June 29 and July 11.

Interesting. I see no itineraries for the Oosterdam in June that see her starting or stopping in Barcelona. She ends a cruise in Rome (actually Civitavecchia) on June 29, 2016 and then there's a gap until July 11 when she starts a cruise in Barcelona. Sounds like she's either chartered or going into dry dock between 29 June and 11 July. By the way, only Sicily and Naples are part of Italy.
Right you are Randy. Originally there were two stops in Sicily (Catania and Palermo) as well as one in Naples.

I was told the cruise has been removed from the HAL site until everyone either re-books or cancels. The booked passengers have until Nov 16th to decide.

Right you are Randy. Originally there were two stops in Sicily (Catania and Palermo) as well as one in Naples.

I was told the cruise has been removed from the HAL site until everyone either re-books or cancels. The booked passengers have until Nov 16th to decide.

OK.....understand about the Italian stops. Palermo is OK I guess though not one of our favorites. Not going to Malta on the other hand would be a big loss. One of the truly spectacular ports in the Med.

<snip>

glad to hear you were offered something.

And I understand about the ports.

Don't you worry about the Future Cruise listing one iota - I am happy to make any change for you.

FWIW - when our Volendam cruise was chartered, we took the P'dam for a cruise of a lifetime. Sometimes things happen for a good reason. I hope there is a silver lining in the dark cloud coming out for you. ;):)

Edited by kazu

We received an E-mail from Hal today that for security concerns our stop in Tunisia has been cancelled and replaced with Cagliari, Sardinia, Italy.

Our cruise is the 22 day Meditrranean & Passage To America October 28, 2016 on the Eurodam so OP you were correct about Tunisia.

Hullo from Downunder,

Cagliari is beautiful. Here is my diary entry from 2013:

Tuesday 11th June

Cagliari Sardinia (instead of Tunisia)

We are really happy that we came here instead of Tunisia. Really happy!

A beautiful sail-in this morning and we got on the shuttle bus early. Went for a walk along the esplanade which has lots of coffee shops, so we thought we could fit in a Sardinian coffee. Sat for a while watching people, had another coffee, then decided to get on the hop-on hop-off bus. By this time, it was full and so we got on the hop-on hop-off horse-drawn wagon. The wagon had an electric motor, so the horses were more for appearance than pulling, which we liked. Two lovely big Clydesdales. Emilio, the driver and guide took us on a highly informative and relaxed trip to the top of the city (the Citadel) and back again. He stopped many times to talk about what we were looking at and let us off and waited while we walked to the very top for a 'photo opportunity'. It is not polluted here and was so pleasant plodding along in the slow wagon. It took about an hour and fifteen minutes return.

When we got back to the bottom there were a lot of people around as another cruise ship had berthed after us. We all clapped very loudly, which attracted people's attention and we reckon he was set for the day!

Then we wandered through lots of streets and lane ways looking at people and buildings and shops and came across a beautiful church in a little side street. St Augustino. The entrance was through a little courtyard garden with statues roughly carved from lumps of rock.

Just gorgeous with old frescoes (nobody had nicked them for a museum) and statues and paintings. It was very quiet, which was different, as in some of the other cathedrals and churches we have been in, people still talked at their usual volume. Oh, and there was a holy water font just inside the door, which we haven't found in any of the others. Just lovely.

fe