Slightly dumb question from a newbie

perditax

Is there a reason Celebrity doesn't seem to do many U.S. departures during northern-hemisphere summer/prime U.S. vacation time? Is that considered too saturated/too common or something?

In other words, if I'm looking for east coast departures in May or June of 2016, I'm basically only going to find the Bermuda run? And I guess Alaska for west coast?

Edited by perditax

The reason is that they, and most of the other cruise lines, can make more money sailing summer in Europe and Alaska. EM

Thanks. I think I got the wrong idea from my "starter cruises" on NCL and DCL, and I figured most lines had a ship running the basic Caribbean stuff year round. I like to cruise solo well enough, but May/June is the next time the significant other will be able to cruise with me, and he's not quite ready for a longer trip yet.

Thanks. I think I got the wrong idea from my "starter cruises" on NCL and DCL, and I figured most lines had a ship running the basic Caribbean stuff year round. I like to cruise solo well enough, but May/June is the next time the significant other will be able to cruise with me, and he's not quite ready for a longer trip yet.

Oasis and Allure from FLL, and Majesty from Miami. Princess from Houston.

Norwegian, Royal Caribbean, Disney, and Carnival run year round out of Florida. Princess used to, but they took a couple of months off this summer.

Sorry, to be very specific: I have high hopes that my upcoming first cruise (solo) on X will confirm my suspicions that it's a good cruise line for us. After that, I'd hoped to be able to take the BF along, and his next window of opportunity for vacation would probably be in May or June--but we don't have the time resources for a cruise that long (meaning Europe); we are still working stiffs.

So yeah, may end up on a different mass market, or waiting till later in the fall.

Sorry, to be very specific: I have high hopes that my upcoming first cruise (solo) on X will confirm my suspicions that it's a good cruise line for us. After that, I'd hoped to be able to take the BF along, and his next window of opportunity for vacation would probably be in May or June--but we don't have the time resources for a cruise that long (meaning Europe); we are still working stiffs.

So yeah, may end up on a different mass market, or waiting till later in the fall.

If memory serves me :eek: the last summer X sailed the Carrib in the summer was in the late 1990'ties. So true, another line is the only choice if you want the Carrib during this time period.

Did I miss something. NJ to Bermuda is only a seven day cruise. And May and June are wonderful times to go to Bermuda. Just MHO

With the disclaimer that I'm not trying to 'start' anything, I'm slightly apprehensive about the age of Summit, and some recent threads about the rude passenger base from NJ.

With the disclaimer that I'm not trying to 'start' anything, I'm slightly apprehensive about the age of Summit, and some recent threads about the rude passenger base from NJ.

I was too, as we prefer newer ships but after all the positive reviews I've read and positive feedback on CC, we took the plunge. Three times. :D We can only get away for 7 nights max with DH's schedule. I've heard great things about Bermuda and can't wait to go.

You can always join your roll call for your particular sailing and get to know people ahead of time. That might make you feel a little more comfortable with the passengers. We're from the West Coast and not used to brash East Coasters but isn't that what makes cruising great? You meet, and learn, from people you wouldn't ordinarily.

That same passenger base goes on Caribbean cruises, too. As you've noted, if you want to go on Celebrity anywhere during this timeframe, your choice for leaving from the East Coast is limited to the one itinerary. That doesn't mean it's primarily people from the tristate area who are sailing.

Is there a reason Celebrity doesn't seem to do many U.S. departures during northern-hemisphere summer/prime U.S. vacation time? Is that considered too saturated/too common or something?

In other words, if I'm looking for east coast departures in May or June of 2016, I'm basically only going to find the Bermuda run? And I guess Alaska for west coast?

During the summer months they choose to have 3 different itineraries....

probably because those are money makers.....Bermuda, Alaska and

Europe. Celebrity only offers a fleet of 9 ships.....not like many of the

other Mass market lines with 20+ ships.....

If memory serves me :eek: the last summer X sailed the Carrib in the summer was in the late 1990'ties. So true, another line is the only choice if you want the Carrib during this time period.

Actually the Solstice sailed the Caribbean from FLL in Aug, 2010.

I booked the cruise for a friend who had just lost her husband.:(

I'm sure the Summit won't be offended! :)

We just got off the Summit on Sunday and had 14 wonderful day on her.

Captain Kate was alway around interacting with the passengers. Great Cruise Director John and a fun actives staff.

Thinking about doing a cruise to Bermuda in the near future.:)

"his next window of opportunity for vacation would probably be in May or June"

How about Alaska? Realize its not fun in the sun like the Caribbean, but it is one of the best times to cruise Alaska and Celebrity has a number 0f 7 and 8 day itineraries.

Don't be afraid of the Summit. It was probably our best cruise with the possible exception of our first one on Disney. Great ship and crew!

My hubby never wants to repeat a ship or an itinerary but he may just make an exception for Summit to Bermuda!