x may cancel my cruise ??

familycruzer

There is a chance that the cruise that I booked with Celebrity may be cancelled for a charter. If that does happen, would I be able to take my offer (they better offer me something) and go on a Royal Caribbean cruise instead?

There is no other Celebrity itinerary I would want in that same time frame but Quantum has a back up cruise I would take.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

OP, wondering why you think your cruise may be chartered .

According to many posts here , a full charter would be preferable to a partial charter where there are non-charter guests . It is said to be the worst of all options . Cruise lines generally won't allow you to cancel beyond final cancellation date even if you have problems sailing with 1500 members of the American Embalmers Association . ;) If you have an issue with this , don't wait to cancel .

Someone came on our roll call and said that they booked a Jazz cruise on Summit out of Fort Lauderdale on the same day my ship is to leave for a 10 night southern itinerary from San Juan. I went to the website for the cruise and it does indeed say Summit on January 21, 2017. The new itinerary is 7 nights not 10 and lousy ports. I would not care about jazz music on board, it's the itinerary.

Search .. Smoothjazzcruise

Edited by familycruzer

Someone came on our roll call and said that they booked a Jazz cruise on Summit out of Fort Lauderdale on the same day my ship is to leave for a 10 night southern itinerary from San Juan. I went to the website for the cruise and it does indeed say Summit on January 21, 2017. The new itinerary is 7 nights not 10 and lousy ports. I would not care about jazz music on board, it's the itinerary.

Search .. Smoothjazzcruise

I don't think that necessarily means the ship is fully chartered by this jazz group. There may only be 100 or so people in the group but then again they could have hundreds A charter takes over the whole ship, partial groups may not be bad.

I don't think that necessarily means the ship is fully chartered by this jazz group. There may only be 100 or so people in the group but then again they could have hundreds A charter takes over the whole ship, partial groups may not be bad.

The Jan 17-24 2016 Jazz Cruise is on HAL, and appears to be a full-ship charter from their marketing materials.

Their website also indicates told the date for Celebrity Summit in Jan 28-Feb 4 2017 as OP has noted, and that it will be officially announced on November 15.

They have over 60 entertainers coming on, and plan dinner shows in the MDR even. They are even collecting a $25pp "Fuel Surcharge"!

The website I saw says january 21 but still my cruise was 10 nights out of San Juan not 7 from Fort Lauderdale. I called X and was told nothing has changed on my sailing but there could be a group on board.

I guess I will hold the booking just in case I get the cruise I want but booked an NCL as a back up that goes to most of the same ports I was hoping to visit.

I have no desire to go to Nassau, Ocho Rios, Labadee, or Samana.

If it's the Smooth Jazz Cruise, their website does say the 2017 cruise is on the Celebrity Summit on January 21 to 28, 2017:

"At this time, we can only confirm one sailing (January 21 – January 28, 2017, sailing from Ft. Lauderdale to Ocho Rios, Labadee, Samana, and Nassau)."

The 10-night cruise on the Celebrity Summit leaving from San Juan on January 21, 2017 is still open for bookings.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure Celebrity makes any offers when cruises are chartered that far out. After all, they give you your deposit back, it's too early to have booked any flights, probably the same on hotels or tours. What would you be out at this point? Other than be annoyed that your vacation you were planning on has changed?

Not out anything but I dont think its fair. I picked that particular cruise for its unique itinerary and the offer that X was promoting at the time of booking.

I would really be more frustrated if I booked today since its still open to book and Celebrity was well aware of the change coming.

It actually effects at least three cruises too. You need time to get back and forth between the two ports. Its not like Miami to Fort Lauderdale.

There was a 7 night prior to mine, and I was to be 10, and the sailing after mine.

We were very excited about a b2b' date=' 10 and 11 days out of Puerto Rico. Celebrity hasn't offered that in quite a few years. Now it's being taken away.

Not happy.[/quote']

Maybe they will make the 11 day be 14 from Fort Lauderdale to San Juan.

I booked the 10 night for the overnight Barbados with Grenada and St Lucia stops.

There is a chance that the cruise that I booked with Celebrity may be cancelled for a charter. If that does happen, would I be able to take my offer (they better offer me something) and go on a Royal Caribbean cruise instead?

There is no other Celebrity itinerary I would want in that same time frame but Quantum has a back up cruise I would take.

I booked a 18 night winter Mediterranean cruise on Independence of the Seas for January 2012, at the fantastic price of £49 per person per night. It was to celebrate my 70 th birthday. About 9 months out, the cruise was cancelled, but 2 cruises were rearranged, one over Christmas, one over New Year at a price of £125 per person per night. We were unable to take the New Year cruise( which covered my birthday) as it returned too late, for my husband's work commitments.

Royal Caribbean gave us Future Cruise certificates of £350 each, which we used to book a Hawaiian cruise on Celebrity Century. Our TA even managed to persuade Celebrity to allow me to have a Special birthday cake, even though it was 2 months after the date, as it was their fault that I wasn't on board on my 70th birthday.

Edited by upwarduk

Just out of curiosity, how far in advance do they cancel sailings due to a charter booking?

My X cruise is May 30, 2016. I've already invested lots of money in non-refundable bookings (flights, hotels, etc) and am worried that this might happen to me.

Am I safe?

I would think you are pretty safe. It's not to say it can't happen. I saw an Atlantis charter once announced 9 months prior to sailing date. I also saw a charter cancel 4 months prior to sailing, thus opening up the itinerary to general booking.

The closer to a sailing you are, the better the perks package is offered and may include reimbursements for change fees. Farther out, they may not give anything for a cancellation other than a refund. 1 year out, they may give just $200 OBC.

But it's always good to have the insurance for these reasons in case, or to buy changeable and refundable air and hotels, knowing that cruise lines have the right to cancel, and all lines exercise that right.

There is no firm rule on timing or compensation. It varies in every case.

I could be wrong but I'm not sure Celebrity makes any offers when cruises are chartered that far out. After all, they give you your deposit back, it's too early to have booked any flights, probably the same on hotels or tours. What would you be out at this point? Other than be annoyed that your vacation you were planning on has changed?

Celebrity gave me a $200 OBC when they chartered a sailing I had booked that was still two years out, I was offered the same terms of my original booking to move one week earlier plus the additional OBC. In my case the same itinerary was offered it just ruined plans I had for a side by side.

Just out of curiosity, how far in advance do they cancel sailings due to a charter booking?

My X cruise is May 30, 2016. I've already invested lots of money in non-refundable bookings (flights, hotels, etc) and am worried that this might happen to me.

Am I safe?

you should be safe, but you never know....they keep stringing it along until contracts are finalized..and the phone staff is always in the dark...til it happens. One has to keep alert on the internet and also check to see if the bookings page stops taking res...Celeb shows little concern about cruisers' individual plans, esp if they can make more money! Sometimes folks do welll with offers etc...but they are not as flexible about date choices as in the past.

Cancel any reason ins is a good idea, esp if it involves flights and hotels...

I think the Summit people with the jazz cruise date conflict might want to regroup!

Edited by hcat

You have my deepest sympathy. Seriously. I had a Holland cruise booked about 18 months ago when I discovered that Smooth Jazz was advertising a cruise on the same ship and the same date as the one I had booked. I did some research and found that Entertainment Cruise Productions was handling this cruise. ECP boasts of being the largest FULL SHIP CHARTER programs at sea. (Sorry about the capital letters but that is an important point worth the emphasis.) I cancelled the cruise and booked another not on Holland. I could have held out for compensation but I understood it was not likely to be much.

What toasted my cheerios was that Holland continued to book reservations for the cruise for weeks after ECP was booking the FULL SHIP CHARTER. IOW, HAL and ECP were both selling the same product at the same time to different customers and both sales were mutually exclusive.

I later learned that this practice is not uncommon. The producers will enter into a provisional contract to charter the ship. If they book enough rooms, then they follow through. If not, they cancel the charter. Meanwhile, the cruise line continues to sell cabins because they are uncertain if the producer will follow through on the charter.

You have several courses of action:

1. You can do nothing. The charter may not happen. If it does, you may get some small compensation. Of course, you may miss out on other opportunities.

2. You can book another cruise while keeping the booking on Celebrity and wait to see what happens with the charter. Of course, that means you'll have multiple deposits down.

3. You can cancel the existing booking on celebrity and find another cruise.

\

You have several courses of action:

1. You can do nothing. The charter may not happen. If it does, you may get some small compensation. Of course, you may miss out on other opportunities.

2. You can book another cruise while keeping the booking on Celebrity and wait to see what happens with the charter. Of course, that means you'll have multiple deposits down.

3. You can cancel the existing booking on celebrity and find another cruise.

4. Book the cruise via the charter group

If it's a jazz cruise, then it's definitely a full ship charter. And the prices will most definitely be much higher. But if you're a jazz fan, consider it; I sailed one on HAL several years ago and it was AMAZING and I'm not a huge jazz fan.

The full ship charters allow the chartering entity to decide the itinerary - they effectively own the ship for the week.