Adequate compensation?

binkey36

That is terrible to hear!

Honestly, and this will read as hard as granite but needs to be asked/understand/said/addressed, why did they go? Clearly they're not physically strong enough for something of the sort as the flu caused them to be medically discharged, why did they go?

In general and not directed at the OP but anyone/everyone who reads this, if your physical condition is one where you're not able to amble about on your own power, need supervision as if you're a toddler, or your reaction times can be measured with a Sundial, just don't do what you're thinking of doing because you are over estimating your abilities and criminally under estimating the liability you are to everyone (the other passengers, your family at home and the provider of the event).

Really.

Honestly, and this will read as hard as granite but needs to be asked/understand/said/addressed, why did they go? Clearly they're not physically strong enough for something of the sort as the flu caused them to be medically discharged, why did they go?

In general and not directed at the OP but anyone/everyone who reads this, if your physical condition is one where you're not able to amble about on your own power, need supervision as if you're a toddler, or your reaction times can be measured with a Sundial, just don't do what you're thinking of doing because you are over estimating your abilities and criminally under estimating the liability you are to everyone (the other passengers, your family at home and the provider of the event).

Really.

I agree, if you are not fit to travel, you should not.

That is not the case for my dad, however.

My father and his partner are very spry folks. Neither uses any sort of walking device, except a cane occasionally. Both were declared fit to travel by their doctor. To provide some insight...my dad is 90 and travels extensively by land and in his 31 ft RV, towing a car. He is able to drive safely, bend over to make connects to sewer, electric, and tow car etc. He is alert and is basically amazing for his age. To date, he has put over 400k miles on his various RV's traveling from Alaska, to Central America, to Labrador.

My husband and I are in our 60's. We also got the flu. We were also miserable for about 3 weeks-4 weeks after we got home. As you are probably aware, the older you are the harder influenza can hit you. People in the states have not been inoculated against Influenza B, which is what we had. Influenza B will be part of the vaccine for the flu for this winter, in the northern hemisphere, as the flu virus travels from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere (apparently).

Sadly, I don't think it was a plus to tell HAL that your father will never sail again as there is no incentive whatsoever to try and earn his business back. I'm very sorry about the cruise from hell for him. I, too, would have disembarked with my father, rather than leave him in a faraway place -- and fought the insurance company later.

I don't think what he is asking for is outrageous, but doubt that it would ever happen. Would have been easier to ask for a low-cost cruise somewhere else as a "do over".

While I agree with your thoughts, we have to remember that HAL told the OP that they would take care of the father and his friend, and the OP relied on that promise. I have been in a similar situation and it is very hard to know for sure what the best thing to do is at the time.

Also, lets also remember that what others have received from HAL in the past may vary, depending on the length of the cruise, the cabin category and other factors. Having said that, it still seems to me that HAL needs to put a little more compensation on the table.

First of all, that sounds absolutely horrible. I know how much planning, anticipation and excitement goes into a cruise, especially an extended more exotic one like that. How disappointing, for sure.

I think to answer your question on what is fair, I think you need to try to separate issues that are unfortunately bad luck, vs things where HAL was negligent or directly responsible. There is no doubt in my mind many horrible things happened to you and your family. The issue for compensation is which ones of those things were caused by HAL, or perhaps where they should have performed differently.

I think in that regard, the voltage problem, if the ship was faulty, they should offer to replace the broken equipment. No question. If it were a bad setting, or overloaded (perhaps the stateroom had extension cords and multi use adapters?)...that might be another story. I dont know the details on that.

Regarding the outbreak, unfortunately that happens everywhere. It can happen in a shopping mall, a hotel, etc. On a cruise people are stuck together for an extended time, so things pass easily. Perhaps the way I would look at that (and I wasn't there, so this is a question you can answer), is did you think HAL took reasonable precautions? Was there hand sanitizer and its use encouraged? I dont know the protocol for the Code Red's, Orange as it pertains to Upper Respiratory. I am in healthcare, and can say that usually the URI's spread differently (airborne) vs Noro. Even with those codes, there may have been little they could do. Perhaps they could offer masks but I dont know if they carry them or that is reasonable to expect.

The insurance is usually a 3rd party, I'm not surprised HAL didn't follow up (although I am disappointed). With the issues you had, I certainly think you are justified in your dissatisfaction and at the very least deserve an investigation into the various issues to help determine any culpability.

My husband and I are in our 60's. We also got the flu. We were also miserable for about 3 weeks-4 weeks after we got home. As you are probably aware, the older you are the harder influenza can hit you. People in the states have not been inoculated against Influenza B, which is what we had. Influenza B will be part of the vaccine for the flu for this winter, in the northern hemisphere, as the flu virus travels from the southern hemisphere to the northern hemisphere (apparently).

Thanks for sharing the information on Influenza B. Leaving in three weeks. Just got our flu shots this week. Were given the double dose seniors shots.

Your father is a remarkable man. Some are old at 55 and some like your dad can drive an RV at ninety. You are fortunate.

First of all, that sounds absolutely horrible. I know how much planning, anticipation and excitement goes into a cruise, especially an extended more exotic one like that. How disappointing, for sure.

I think to answer your question on what is fair, I think you need to try to separate issues that are unfortunately bad luck, vs things where HAL was negligent or directly responsible. There is no doubt in my mind many horrible things happened to you and your family. The issue for compensation is which ones of those things were caused by HAL, or perhaps where they should have performed differently.

I think in that regard, the voltage problem, if the ship was faulty, they should offer to replace the broken equipment. No question. If it were a bad setting, or overloaded (perhaps the stateroom had extension cords and multi use adapters?)...that might be another story. I dont know the details on that.

Regarding the outbreak, unfortunately that happens everywhere. It can happen in a shopping mall, a hotel, etc. On a cruise people are stuck together for an extended time, so things pass easily. Perhaps the way I would look at that (and I wasn't there, so this is a question you can answer), is did you think HAL took reasonable precautions? Was there hand sanitizer and its use encouraged? I dont know the protocol for the Code Red's, Orange as it pertains to Upper Respiratory. I am in healthcare, and can say that usually the URI's spread differently (airborne) vs Noro. Even with those codes, there may have been little they could do. Perhaps they could offer masks but I dont know if they carry them or that is reasonable to expect.

The insurance is usually a 3rd party, I'm not surprised HAL didn't follow up (although I am disappointed). With the issues you had, I certainly think you are justified in your dissatisfaction and at the very least deserve an investigation into the various issues to help determine any culpability.

I agree. I know that on a cruise of that length illness is a possibility. I believe that the maintenance issues of the cabin are the major complaint. It would seem to me that with all the cabin issues, and their illness (quarantined) they should have been moved to another cabin.

If HAL had offered to pay for the burned out converter, i dont think my dad would have been as unhappy. They just continued to react below any normal expectations of customer service, and their unhappiness grew accordingly.

Really.

This Post is uncalled for & quite judgmental! .Just because someone is 90 does not mean they are like a toddler & no longer fit to travel..:mad: There are also those who are up in age & can travel because they have caregivers to look out for them..

I agree. I know that on a cruise of that length illness is a possibility. I believe that the maintenance issues of the cabin are the major complaint. It would seem to me that with all the cabin issues, and their illness (quarantined) they should have been moved to another cabin.

If HAL had offered to pay for the burned out converter, i dont think my dad would have been as unhappy. They just continued to react below any normal expectations of customer service, and their unhappiness grew accordingly.

Do you know for a fact that there were EMPTY Cabins which would have been available to them.. Why didn't you or your DH go to the front desk & ask to speak to a Supervisor to get the repairs done immediately? Can you give us a general idea what a new converter would cost? I'm not sure why you think that HAL should offer them $1,000.. Insurance should cover interruption of service..

WOW! And ouch! What a nightmare and, despite some posts to the contrary, the OP and family did absolutely nothing wrong. We are not fans of cruise line trip insurance (this issue is talked about on the Cruise Insurance blog) but do understand that some folks (especially older seniors) are almost forced into the cruise line insurance because of their advanced age. We have also had issues with the bathroom outlets on some HAL ships (not an issue on the Prinsendam where they have no outlets in the bathroom) and sometimes get the impression that HAL lets things go longer then necessary. But HAL is not alone (among cruise lines) when it comes to "deferred maintenance."

We hope that everything eventually works out for the OP. And keep in mind that HAL is not the only cruise line so there are other options.

Hank

I am very happy to advise that HAL has resolved this issue with my Dad. I was contacted yesterday afternoon by a representative and discussed the issues involved. Today the situation was resolved to my father and his partners satisfaction. It is nice to know that HAL does provide customer service in resolving complaints.

I am very happy to advise that HAL has resolved this issue with my Dad. I was contacted yesterday afternoon by a representative and discussed the issues involved. Today the situation was resolved to my father and his partners satisfaction. It is nice to know that HAL does provide customer service in resolving complaints.

Glad to hear that worked out for your Dad. We have found that HAL generally has great customer service and it is a major reason we sail with them. We have had HAL employees go above and beyond the norm for us a number of times.

So happy HAL has satisfied your DF and his partner.

Maybe someone at HAL read this thread? :)

So great to hear this. Thanks for coming back and reporting.

The flu can cause healthy people to be hospitalized. Remember the H1N1 flu outbreak? My late husband was perfectly healthy, caught the flu, which turned into pneumonia, and he died. He was only 56, and was a fighter pilot in the Air Force for most of his life, and was almost never sick. I hope you never experience a healthy loved one get sick, and then be told well, they shouldn't have been there. Yes, your comment was "hard as granite" but it most certainly didn't need to be said.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I'm glad to hear it was resolved to your, and your dad's satisfaction.

Please try to get over the feeling that your father and his companion were abandoned by HAL. The Doctor on the ship determined that they were not well enough to continue the cruise and transferred them to a hospital so that they could get the care that they needed. It is very unfortunate that they got sick.
While most Doctors do their best for their patients , the cynic in me feels that ejecting sick passengers from the ship is very convenient . They become someone elses problem .

Good ! :) Having read many complaints on CC , my impression is that HAL generally acts in a fairer manner then most of the other cruise lines .

The flu can cause healthy people to be hospitalized. Remember the H1N1 flu outbreak? My late husband was perfectly healthy, caught the flu, which turned into pneumonia, and he died. He was only 56, and was a fighter pilot in the Air Force for most of his life, and was almost never sick. I hope you never experience a healthy loved one get sick, and then be told well, they shouldn't have been there. Yes, your comment was "hard as granite" but it most certainly didn't need to be said.

What a heart breaking circumstance for you both. I am so sorry to read of this. Hopefully you are finding peace with your loss. My best wishes.....

… I would like some opinions, insight, and advise from my fellow CC'ers. … Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated.

Hi binkey36,

I was on the ship during this South Pacific cruise…

I had witnessed an evacuation due to a medical emergency.

I also note that several passengers were inconvenienced by a bad flu.

I do not keep good memories of my medical condition to return from this cruise.

I had for a week to recover.

Good luck with your intentions.

I do not think the amount offered by HA is sufficient to cover the inconvenience you've had on the Oosterdam NZ + South Pacific Crossing.

Holacanada

Hi binkey36,

I was on the ship during this South Pacific cruise…

I had witnessed an evacuation due to a medical emergency.

I also note that several passengers were inconvenienced by a bad flu.

I do not keep good memories of my medical condition to return from this cruise.

I had for a week to recover.

Good luck with your intentions.

I do not think the amount offered by HA is sufficient to cover the inconvenience you've had on the Oosterdam NZ + South Pacific Crossing.

Holacanada

Thank you. Hopefully, your next cruise will be better. I know that there were many, many people who got sick with the flu.

So glad to hear that all was resolved to your satisfaction.

The OP said:

The HVAC unit in their room went out. Again, the purser was notified. The crew brought in a small electric fan to circulate the air. To further complicate the situation, the staff was not coming into clean their room. The air in the room was hot (90's) and it was foul smelling. They requested to be moved to another cabin. That request was not meet. Several days later, the HVAC was fixed.

In my personal opinion, the lack of A/C warrants some decent cash compensation. Regardless of the age of the passengers, and all the other issues involved, we all want A/C when we are in a hot climate, and they were denied that, through no fault of their own.

Good luck, I hope HAL is reasonable with you, and personally I would use the lack of A/C as one of the primary bargaining chips.

The ship sent a bottle of hand sanitizer to all the rooms.

Wow! Did they have that much on-board or did they pick it up in port somewhere?

I think they keep it on board in case of a noro outbreak. We went into code red on our recent Veendam cruise, and they gave us a bottle of hand sanitizer (the super-duper Purell) to take ashore on our last port stop. Not sure what that was supposed to accomplish, since the noro was on the ship, not in Bar Harbor...

Sorry to read of the experience you have all been through, but pleased that there is now a satisfactory outcome.

Please try to get over the feeling that your father and his companion were abandoned by HAL. The Doctor on the ship determined that they were not well enough to continue the cruise and transferred them to a hospital so that they could get the care that they needed. It is very unfortunate that they got sick. ...

HAL DID abandon them since HAL's port representative did nothing, the HAL insurance rep did nothing, both of which had a responsibility to be a liaison between the passengers and the hospital.