Self Disembarkation - Why doesn't everyone do it?

FredZiffle

After our first few cruises, we started using self-disembarkation for several reasons:

- No wasting time the night before having to pack. There are still lots of activities going on, and we like to enjoy our last night on board. The ship is dead the next morning, so I don't mind spending the time packing in my cabin.

- No worries that we'll accidentally pack some necessity we'll need the next morning.

- No worries about our suitcases sitting out unprotected in the hall.

- No worries about our suitcases walking off from the pier before we manage to disembark.

- No wasting time trying to locate our suitcases at the pier.

- Freedom to walk off whenever instead of being assigned a disembarkation group time which may be earlier or later than we'd prefer. I realize one can get around this assigned time, but I don't even have to think about it. Just so we're off by the time the cabin steward needs to start on our cabin.

The only negative I can think of is having to roll our own suitcases down the gangplank. To me, that's less of a hassle than rolling it through the airport.

So, what am I missing? Why do the vast majority of cruise passengers go with regular disembarkation?

Edited by FredZiffle

One example: say you are a family of six with more luggage than two parents can handle while trying to control rambunctious toddlers/teens?

Another: let's say you are elderly or have limited mobility making handling your own luggage a challenge.

The list could go on.

For some, self-debarkation works. For others it doesn't. Simple as that.

After our first few cruises, we started using self-disembarkation for several reasons:

- No wasting time the night before having to pack. There are still lots of activities going on, and we like to enjoy our last night on board. The ship is dead the next morning, so I don't mind spending the time packing in my cabin.

- No worries that we'll accidentally pack some necessity we'll need the next morning.

- No worries about our suitcases walking off from the pier before we manage to disembark.

- Freedom to walk off whenever instead of being assigned a disembarkation group time which may be earlier or later than we'd prefer. I realize one can get around this assigned time, but I don't even have to think about it. Just so we're off by the time the cabin steward needs to start on our cabin.

The only negative I can think of is having to roll our own suitcases down the gangplank. To me, that's less of a hassle than rolling it through the airport.

So, what am I missing? Why do the vast majority of cruise passengers go with regular disembarkation?

Some people are physically not able to carry their things off.

I personally prefer self-disembarkation when I cruise on my own. However, every other year, I cruise with a group and we have to wait for our group to be called in order to all board our charter bus together for the ride home from the port.

I find it easier dealing with just a carry on and maybe a tote bag than having a large case to wheel around. It also means I can use the stairs rather than lifts. Besides, imagine what chaos it would be around the ship if everyone did it.

Phil

Correct, the lines for self disembarkation often snake around the ship, it would be worse with everyone doing, guarantee there would be some arguments for people perceiving others cutting in.

We've done self disembarkation the last two times. It works for us but wouldn't say it was easy. It is also trickier than an airport IMO. No luggage trolleys (at Southampton) until your well inside the terminal building and the corridors on the ship can be narrow (and long) to haul your luggage through.

You need to be relatively fit to haul 3 cases and 3 pieces of hand luggage the length of a ship and then back and forth the boarding ramp with only 2 of you.

Depending on timing, it can be hard getting a lift with all your luggage. However if we travel as just a couple we have preferred it. X seem to have very early times for self disembarkation (at least at Southampton) but it's always seemed strange that surely even if you miss the time slot they cannot restrict you getting off as they need you off!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sounds to me that the OP worries alot...

If you need to be in control of your suitcases and self debarkation works for you wonderful.. Enjoy...Our travel buddies feel the same way.

Personally I am on a cruise to relax.. I take 4 to 5 a year as I have a high stress job. I really don't care where my luggage is.. I can replace any of it.

After the past 18 months dealing with a life threatening illness(spouse has cancer) I have learned to cherish every minute. So a leisure breakfast...stroll off the ship when I am ready. get a porter to take the bags to the shuttle and into my car for a short ride home....

Glad we have options and we all don't want the same thing

Rick

I see no particular benefit for us in lugging two 50 pound suitcases off the ship when there are crew members to do it. Also, several of the benefits you tout ("No worries that we'll accidentally pack some necessity we'll need the next morning") simply aren't issues for us. If you prefer self-disembarkation, that's great, but I think most people prefer otherwise.

I'm glad more people don't do it, if everyone did it, they wouldn't allow it...We do it every time!

But we each only have carry on roller bag and a backpack.

It might be different if you could stay on the ship for a much longer period of time...in reality you get 1 or maybe 2 hours at the most, and most of that time nothing is open.

I would rather get up early and get past the inevitable long customs line, than sit around the ship...By that last day, I think I have enjoyed the ship enough not to have to get in one more hour without any services.

But if I packed like we did for our first cruise there would be no way we could do it...I think we had 4 suitcases on that first trip!

Contemplating doing self disembarkation this time. I've only cruised once before. Do we tell them we are doing it ourselves the day before? Is there a set time they ask you to self disembark? I had no problem letting them take my bags the night before, just have to be organized with the overnight stuff, but it might be handy not to have to search for the bags at the other side.

You will get a debarkation questionnaire several days into the cruise. At that time you can check that you want to do self-debarkation thus there will be no luggage tags left in your cabin on the next to last day. However, if you change your mind you can always go to Guest Services and get luggage tags. Or, if you had indicated you wanted to have Celebrity handle your bags and changed your mind, then just don't put out the bags and follow the instructions for self-debark.

The reason we stopped doing self-debarkation was the impossibility of getting an elevator! We would be on Deck 9 or so and elevator after elevator would stop and it would be totally crammed with people and luggage. We would sometimes be able to push the Up button instead of the Down button and catch one going up to the Buffet and just ride it down.... Also, in Florida there are escalators and personnel making sure you don't take the escalator unless you have one free hand. So if you are pulling a suitcase and a carry-on bag then you must line up for the elevator. All this is time consuming...

We don't because we want to savor every last moment. One last stroll around the ship and so on.

We are also not in a hurry since we usually stay 1-2 extra nights in Fort Lauderdale or Miami.

Our thoughts exactly. We are happy being one of the last to leave the ship.

I am glad self debark is the choice for some, for us, thanks but no thanks.

Works great with small wheelies, esp on a short cruise or with bigger suitcases if you can get luggage valet..,,nice part is no need to search for bags at the port...esp on bigger ships.

Lines for self disembark get very long...some folks cannot stand for that long but we prefer it...pack less, travel easier,.

We're not planning on much luggage, and we'll have our car parked at the Miami port, so this sounds like a good idea for us. Wasn't aware of it. Do you get an assigned time to disembark, or do you just leave whenever you want to? THe earlier the better for us - will be anxious to pick up our pooch! :-) (the only negative about cruising - missing our doggie)

Because after 25 years of cruising, my wifester still is worried she wont pack something she thinks she may want to wear!

Aside from that, if all 2500 passengers did it, what would be the benefit?

We would still have to get off in the same waves as we do now.

I find it easier dealing with just a carry on and maybe a tote bag than having a large case to wheel around. It also means I can use the stairs rather than lifts. Besides, imagine what chaos it would be around the ship if everyone did it.

Phil

Yep, chaos when everyone does it. I was recently on a short 4 day cruise on the Grand where there was no luggage handling service unless you had a Princess Transfer. 2000 people and all of their luggage do not fit in the elevators with ease, and it appeared that there were a lot of people who had packed for extended land vacations after the short cruise! Those massive 30 inch suitcases (wheels or not) weren't going to be carried up or down the stairs by anyone. It was a god awful mess.

... Do you get an assigned time to disembark, or do you just leave whenever you want to? THe earlier the better for us - will be anxious to pick up our pooch! :-) (the only negative about cruising - missing our doggie)

There will be an "assigned" time...like 7am...(In theory you can actually self-disembark at any time then or later...BUT you will get grief, on this board anyway, if you do that).

The line up will start about an hour before the official time...so if you really need to be the first off the ship get there at least an hour early (we were first in line in San Juan two years ago so we could make 830am flight...no problem!)...if you get there at the assigned time, there will be a long line, but still will go fairly quickly!

Our thoughts exactly. We are happy being one of the last to leave the ship.

I am glad self debark is the choice for some, for us, thanks but no thanks.

Scott, we will just have to linger a bit together with you and Sue at breakfast on Nov 30th then!

See ya in 31 days!