Velvet?

Patbeth

Hi all. Found a gorgeous formal dress for our upcoming November 14th cruise on Carnival Conquest in the Caribbean. It fits great, I love how it looks, but it is black velvet. Is that ok for a tropical locale? It is the holidays, so I think the time is appropriate for black velvet. Am I right or will I look ridiculous in velvet in the tropics? I do tend to run chilly in air conditioning, and Im not worried about being hot. Thanks so much for any advice you have for me. Im not a fashionista,just a regular old mom who wants her DH to go WOW!:eek: when he sees my cleavage, ahem I mean me:p, in that dress.

I wore velvet slacks once on a cruise and I was hot.

November 14 is still early to be considered the holidays.

However, if you love the dress and want to wear it for dh, but all means do. No one onboard will notice or care that you're wearing velvet in the caribbean.

Hi all. Found a gorgeous formal dress for our upcoming November 14th cruise on Carnival Conquest in the Caribbean. It fits great, I love how it looks, but it is black velvet. Is that ok for a tropical locale? It is the holidays, so I think the time is appropriate for black velvet. Am I right or will I look ridiculous in velvet in the tropics? I do tend to run chilly in air conditioning, and Im not worried about being hot. Thanks so much for any advice you have for me. Im not a fashionista,just a regular old mom who wants her DH to go WOW!:eek: when he sees my cleavage, ahem I mean me:p, in that dress.

If you aren't worried about being hot and you feel great in the dress you should wear it! I wouldn't worry about how others will feel since you would still be appropriate, and if they are going to judge you for wearing velvet I think they may have judge you for something else without it. :p

If you look great and feel greatn wear it and have fun!

Is the gown pure velvet or is it a patterned burnourt velvet? Burnout velvet can be much lighter in weight and appearance. It can also be less hot feeling than a solid velvet. I've seen burnout velvet that is almost lacey in quality. That type of velvet probably would be more generally acceptable on Caribbean cruises.

I have seen women wear velvet pants on such cruises. I didn't think anything of it. Some fashion purists might question it, but it is hard to please everyone anyway.

Buy the dress for yourself since you love it and wait for a more appropriate event to wear it to.

Please note: This is advice from a woman who has a number of brand new dresses hanging in her closet because she hasn't been got an appropriate event to wear them to. :rolleyes:

Yes, I think velvet is a little over the top for a Caribbean cruise in early November. But on second thought, you might as well buy it and take it with you. On each cruise, I have regretted not bringing something I wanted to wear. Avoid those regrets. Make yourself happy and bring the dress and be sure to take a formal picture!

Bon Voyage.

Edited by candycaramel

Have read all the comments and while I personally do not think anyone is going to look at you, cringe, and say under their breath, "Velvet? In the Caribbean??", I agree that you might want to buy it for a future occasion, like a wonderful Christmas or New Year's party.

I like the green dress you posted - with jewelry, fab shoes and a pretty wrap, you'll be set for Formal Night. :)

EDITED to add: Ultimately, of course, the decision is yours - but since you did ask for advice, I gave mine. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

When I went on a land based trip to Hawaii a few years ago everyone kept telling me that it was so casual and I didn't need any fancy clothes. So, I packed one maxi dress that was good for the beach. The rest was shorts etc.

One evening in Waikiki, I see this woman walking with a sexy black dress and high heels on her way to dinner with her man. I was devastated. I felt like a frumpy old tourist. I am still angry at myself that I hadn't packed at least one sexy dress to wear to dinner with my hubby while in Hawaii. Now I make sure I have something that makes me feel dressed up and "cute". :D

Edited by candycaramel

I am Very "Old School" no white after Labor Day and all the rest of the rules that most think are silly!!!

Velvet is to be worn only from Nov 1 - Feb 29.....

With that in mind....on your cruise I am assuming you will wear it on the 1st formal night - which is usually the 1st full day at sea.....technically you are not in the Caribbean, unless you sail from Miami/ Fll....

.....and if that is the case, just keep in mind what the fine hotels in South Florida would do in the winter months.....keep their AC turned down as low as it would go so that ladies would be comfortable in their furs!

As a true lady we can always make the rules work in our favor.....

trish

Have read all the comments and while I personally do not think anyone is going to look at you, cringe, and say under their breath, "Velvet? In the Caribbean??", I agree that you might want to buy it for a future occasion, like a wonderful Christmas or New Year's party.

I like the green dress you posted - with jewelry, fab shoes and a pretty wrap, you'll be set for Formal Night. :)

EDITED to add: Ultimately, of course, the decision is yours - but since you did ask for advice, I gave mine. :)

What green dress?:confused: :o

I wear my long velvet dress (sleeveless) on cruises any time. My feeling is that in the evening, onboard, we are not so much "in the Caribbean" or "in the Bahamas" as we are On A Ship, a world of its own. A formal night is a chance to dress up as much as you like.

Looking good for James Bond (ie, hubby) is a bonus!

I wear my long velvet dress (sleeveless) on cruises any time. My feeling is that in the evening, onboard, we are not so much "in the Caribbean" or "in the Bahamas" as we are On A Ship, a world of its own. A formal night is a chance to dress up as much as you like.

Looking good for James Bond (ie, hubby) is a bonus!

Indeed!!!!

The more things change, the more they stay the same. I remember

in 2003 when I first found Cruise Critic and found this forum and found

this same question was asked way back then;). And the same answers

were given too. So, it is really up to you. Some gals say no way, others

say yes, way:D....just trying to lighten it up a bit.

I know it is a fashion forum and you are asking for opinions.......mine

is, it doesn't matter to me if you wear a velvet dress. If you feel good

in it and are happy in it......who am I tell you not to wear it.......

Enjoy your cruise, whatever dress you decide to wear:)

Edited by Lois R

Thank you everyone for all of your opinions. I truly appreciate not being flamed. I expected to get different opinions, and I did. I just wanted to make sure I didnt look like a fool. After weighing the advice I have been given , I have decided to wear the dress, and feel sexy and beautiful in it. And making my DH look at me with "that" look will be my reward.:D He is a great guy, and he would say I look beautiful to him all the time, regardless of what I am wearing. ( and more importantly when Im not wearing anything!) But I have come to realise after thinking about this question,and the answers I have gotten, that its as much about how "I" feel in the dress, as it is about how DH ( or others ) see me. Pretty Deep huh? Thanks CC, for helping me, learn to be happy being me.:) So if you see a petite lady in Mid Nov wearing a black velvet dress, in the Caribbean, thats me, and I LOOK FABULOUS!

I have decided to wear the dress, and feel sexy and beautiful in it. And making my DH look at me with "that" look will be my reward.:D ... its as much about how "I" feel in the dress, as it is about how DH ( or others ) see me. Pretty Deep huh? Thanks CC, for helping me, learn to be happy being me.:) So if you see a petite lady in Mid Nov wearing a black velvet dress, in the Caribbean, that's me, and I LOOK FABULOUS!

Good for you! I'm glad to see this, as I have also decided to wear a long black velvet dress for 1st formal night on my Bahamas cruise Thanksgiving week. It looks great on me and I'm not there to impress anyone, I'm there to relax and have fun with my love. GO US! :D