Curtis Stone restaurant to replace Sabatini's

KruzPrincess

Incorrect, the Crown was drydocked Spring 2015 in Victoria, BC before the start of the Alaska season.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2203516&highlight=crown+drydock

The reason I was trying to bring this up and find out when it was last dry docked is that when looking for the Crown Deck Plans on Crown a message comes up asking if you are traveling before or after May 6, 2016. Evidently something is going to happen during that time. I wonder if this is the reason.

The reason I was trying to bring this up and find out when it was last dry docked is that when looking for the Crown Deck Plans on Crown a message comes up asking if you are traveling before or after May 6, 2016. Evidently something is going to happen during that time. I wonder if this is the reason.

If you review most other Deck Plans for the Princess ships, you will also see that for other dates in the spring (it's April 17th-the day of the start of the Transatlantic cruise for the Regal Princess).

What is happening is Princess is reclassifying some cabins to different categories, and not necessarily a dry dock, especially when there are no break in cruise departures.

I started this thread and just want to mention that I'd read all the advertised info about Curtis Stone. I just wasn't aware that his Share restaurant would replace Sabatini's and that's what I was sharing with everyone who may not know it. I do understand that there will be other Curtis Stone offerings. Glad I'm not the only one who wasn't aware that Sabatini's was going away. ;) I, for one, will be happy to have a different venue. I look forward to it.

I never thought the sharing food choices with strangers was mandatory. Hopefully, there are two-tops available since we're not into table sharing either. We'll try Curtis Stone. Who knows, we may like it. Anyone seen a menu?

Somewhere on that other thread (in that previous link) there is a press release talking about some of the dishes. I don't think a complete menu has appeared yet. All I remember is "endive foam" on something. LOL.

Somewhere on that other thread (in that previous link) there is a press release talking about some of the dishes. I don't think a complete menu has appeared yet. All I remember is "endive foam" on something. LOL.

I saw the mention. I don't know about you, but I couldn't care less if my endive is foamed or not.

We loved the original Sabbatini's on the Grand when it was new, and we loved the 'appetizers aplenty' version of Sabbatini's, but ever since they changed the menu (most recently) we find that our favorite dishes have gone away. I love pasta, and the Italian restaurant onboard has just one pasta per night, and they won't even tell you in advance what it is? And the entrees and desserts aren't to our liking as much either. As such, we haven't been to Sabbatini's on our last 3 Princess cruises, although we have enjoyed the Crown Grill. From what I have seen, Sabbatini's started losing diners when they moved away from the 'appetizers aplenty' menu.

I don't mind trying a new restaurant, and the dishes themselves at Share sound fine, but I don't think the sharing concept will work very well with us. My husband and I have diverging tastes in food, and when we're on a cruise, the beauty is that he can order what he likes, and I can order what I like, and we can have a good time. I probably won't want to share much (if anything) of what he orders, and vice versa. So will they then allow us to eat at this restaurant if we don't want to share dishes with each other?

We had a similar experience on Q*sine on Celebrity: I ordered filet mignon and meatballs, my husband ordered crab and sushi, and the waiter was incredibly disappointed that we didn't want the same things, because it seems that the point of the experience is to 'share'. But we simply said that we enjoyed different foods, and the waiter took it in stride. Hopefully it will be the same at Share.

I will be reading the first reviews of this new restaurant with interest!

Very interesting. This is the first I've heard of how the Curtis Stone thing would be implemented. I wonder if Sabatini's has been under-performing for Princess.

Now that they have been having Alfredo's for lunch in the Sabatini's venue it would be a bummer if that went away.

I think it may be underperforming....just my observation. On the Crown we had dinner there and we and one other table were the only diners!

The food is wonderful and the restaurant itself is so beautiful! I hate to see it go!

We only dined at Sabatini's twice in our 8 cruises to date w/ Princess - once w/ the old menu (the 3 hr gut busting affair) and once w/ the new menu (lobster three ways - yes please!). Both different experiences and we liked them both. That being said, if one of the two specialty restaurants had to go to make way for the new Curtis Stone one, then Sabatini's was the right choice.

I am very much looking forward to SHARE. I've been to Sabatini's at least 4 times and once they changed the menu, I did not care for it at all. We received a free specialty dinner with our latest booking for our December cruise. I will definitely be changing the reservation if they have booked us for Sabatini's to the Crown Grille!

I am very much looking forward to SHARE. I've been to Sabatini's at least 4 times and once they changed the menu, I did not care for it at all. We received a free specialty dinner with our latest booking for our December cruise. I will definitely be changing the reservation if they have booked us for Sabatini's to the Crown Grille!

I know I'm in the minority but the steaks in the Crown Grille aren't that great. You can do better at home.

I ate at Sabatini's for dinner way back with their original menu and didn't like it too well. But I love having breakfast there! Such a nice experience so I hope Princess will not take this perk away from suite passengers.

I don't really want to have to order the same meal as my dinner partners so I'm not sure if I'll want to eat in SHARE. :confused:

I know I'm in the minority but the steaks in the Crown Grille aren't that great. You can do better at home.

What's good is the lamb chop! I don't think I have ever ordered a steak in CG. :) I'm assuming SHARE will not have made-to-order dishes since a rare steak lover would have to share with someone who wants the steak burnt.

What's good is the lamb chop! I don't think I have ever ordered a steak in CG. :) I'm assuming SHARE will not have made-to-order dishes since a rare steak lover would have to share with someone who wants the steak burnt.

I have never had steak at Crown Grill either; I go for the lobster. :D

From the looks of the videos on SHARE, looks like wife and I will have to try CG again. We've got two complimentary for two on our next Regal cruise. Probably will take a look at SHARE, but if it's anything like the videos, we'll spend both in CG. Not our favorite but the SHARE videos make CG look attractive.

Yes, your right. We have the best steaks at home from my BIL's meat market, Fritz meats, in Holdridge, NE.

Edited by AZbeachboy

Yes, your right. We have the best steaks at home from my BIL's meat market, Fritz meats, in Holdridge, NE.

Making a good steak is not difficult. Use a charcoal grill and a meat thermometer. Use a good marinade and I like to encrust mine with pepper prior to cooking.

I love Princess and I have enjoyed Sabatini's many times over the years, probably a few too many times. I liked the old format menu, although it was way too much food for me, and I like the existing one too. We ate there several times on every cruise. HOWEVER, I am very happy to see Princess finally doing something new. For as much as I love them, they have become so same old - same old on every ship, it's the same dining all the time for the most part. So I welcome a new option. I am not too worried about the whole "share" concept, I'm sure it's more of a marketing thing and you'll be able to order your own dishes without a problem. If not now, perhaps in the future as people will complain enough and they'll have to change it. Curtis Stone is an accomplished chef and I think it's a good partnership (on paper at least). On a side note, I wish Princess would have a French restaurant. I think it would be popular.

Holdrege with an "e"..... The meat in the small towns of NE is actually pretty good! As we say in NE, the closer you are to the farm, the better the beef. I try to buy from local farmers as much as I can.

We have eaten at Sabatini's twice with the new menu and the only good parts were the herbed and spicy focaccia grissini, the calamari, the twice baked artichoke soufflé and the braised short rib over penne pasta. Others will disagree but other items have been uneven at best.

DH and I ate at Sabatini's once and wasn't that impressed with it. We're looking forward to something new. Cruiselines have to keep changing venues every once in a while or it all gets so stale.

I agree cruise lines have to keep changing venues every once in a while. But I don't like SHARING food with someone I don't even know :eek: .

Tony

According to his website, there is no menu at a Curtis Stone restaurant. One dish each month.