HAL's new partnerships, upgrades, branding initiative

InTheWASide

Well said...that is why we continue to return to HAL...comfortable...a relaxing cruise without a lot of extras that we wouldn't use. No loud partying, no wet t shirt contests, nothing intrusive. Just love, love it every time we cruise

Due to a very hectic work year, DW and I wanted a nice cruise with a good itinerary, relaxing, and without bells and whistles. That's why we booked Oosterdam. It was a no frill ship on a 10 night cruise going to a lot of cool places, including my favorite island...Bonaire. The cruise nailed it! Every day, we said "aaaahhhhhh." And we're not even huge fans of HAL. We just wanted relaxation and that's exactly what we got. I can see why so many feel at home on a HAL ship.

That said, maybe the announcement will be a total modernization of their ships, getting rid of these awful things........;)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

....perhaps the announcement about moving dining hours up by fifteen minutes has sparked an enormous amount of discussion in Seattle and the execs are gridlocked.

Seriously, very few people really care a whit about a press release from HAL or any other cruise line. It is a non issue for 99.9 percent of the population who cruise or may cruise in the future.

Not certain why the cruise line is making such a big deal about this, dragging it out. It can only lead to misplaced speculation by a very few of us and perhaps some ridicule as well. HAL is starting to look very silly with these TBD announcements. The method will soon overtake the message. It is a shower IMHO.

HAL should just announce it and get on with implementing their business strategy.

Edited by iancal

Now that dancing with the stars is done, they may be looking for another exciting replacement like The biggest loser with weigh ins between buffets

We were on a Princess cruise years ago and they were filming the Biggest Loser on board! Bob Harper walked around whistling the theme from the Love Boat.

The Sapphire Princess filmed beautifully, the footage shown on TV was quite impressive.

And yes we would see the contestants in the Horizon Court.

It's not likely to be an announcement about reciprocity in frequent cruiser programs. That would be an announcement coming from carnival corp not Hal. Given its very clearly about branding, it's probably about positioning and the offering. This is likely why there's some concern about alienating part of the current cruiser base. Given the demographics of the brand, as a marketer, I would think they would be doing something to contemporize the brand and attract a younger cruiser. That said, that doesn't necessarily mean 20-30s or even families. Should be interesting to see.

Whenever there is a juggling of amenities, tie ins, enhancements, etc. it is always those at the top that receive cutbacks. People who are 4 or 5 star mariners aren't likely to abandon HAL if their perks don't get increased, or, perhaps even, trimmed slightly. They aren't going to "start over" somewhere else. And HAL does not need to work extra hard to retain this market.

<snip>

Never good to generalize. There are a number of once loyal HAL'ers who now cruise elsewhere or stopped cruising entirely.

Due to a very hectic work year, DW and I wanted a nice cruise with a good itinerary, relaxing, and without bells and whistles. That's why we booked Oosterdam. It was a no frill ship on a 10 night cruise going to a lot of cool places, including my favorite island...Bonaire. The cruise nailed it! Every day, we said "aaaahhhhhh." And we're not even huge fans of HAL. We just wanted relaxation and that's exactly what we got. I can see why so many feel at home on a HAL ship.

That said, maybe the announcement will be a total modernization of their ships, getting rid of these awful things........;)

ry%3D480

ry%3D480

Sorry to admit it but I actually like them. :)

I wouldn't have them in my home but I think they work fine on HAL ship.

Edited by sail7seas

Never good to generalize. There are a number of once loyal HAL'ers who now cruise elsewhere or stopped cruising entirely.

Not quite 5-star and probably never will be but count us into the group, maybe few, that have found new cruise homes.

Sorry to admit it but I actually like them. :)

I wouldn't have them in my home but I think they work fine on HAL ship.

Us too. :)

Edited by Randyk47

Perhaps, perhaps not. We will see. Something I have learned though is that most exciting and new things are to draw in fresh blood, not placate the most loyal already. I can see where 4 and 5 star Mariners may feel slighted,

Now that dancing with the stars is done, they may be looking for another exciting replacement like The biggest loser with weigh ins between buffets

that's 'boo-fays'..

are you there yet????.. we leave here in the AM stopping overnite in Ft Pierce

]

I fear we will regret the loss of this type of artwork around the HAL ship. If one wants very bland, stark, soulless interiors... go for NCL, Celebrity etc. HAL did a fine job with their art. I think a big to mistake to play with hit. In any event... HAL ships are very modern... just they have a great collection to put with the ship.

The chairs... they are fire proof. If not they would not be allowed in the stair towers. Most ships do not have chairs to use in the stair towers. :)

My guesses?

Holland America will introduce an Explore 5 program.

There will be a marketing tie in with Bickford Senior Living Nursing Homes.

Holland America promenade decks will be lined with cabanas. $$$

5 star mariners will now be called 10 star mariners with no change in benefits. New Mariner pins will be even bigger.

Dropping the New York Times tie in, HAL will offer free onboard internet connections to the AARP website instead.

Entrees will now be referred to as main dishes.

In a role switch, the Filipino crew will become stewards and the Indonesian crew will be bar staff.

The 15" flat screen TV's will be replaced by 16" screens.

First time Holland America guests will have to wear beanies.

Digital Workshop powered by Windows® will be replaced with welding classes. $$$

The onboard priest will be dropped in favor of an onboard podiatrist. $$$

Tacos will be added to the always available menu.

The Dive-In will become a cook your own steak grill. $$$

European Union regulations require the company to change its name to Netherlands America Line.

All announcements will given in English, Dutch, Frisian, and Papiamento.

Elevators will be Bluetooth enabled.

Some public toilets will be designated for transgender cruisers.

HAL headquarters is moving to Omaha, the call center to Mumbai.

100% Egyptian cotton towels will be replaced with 100% American cotton.

The 5x magnifying mirrors will be increased to 10x.

Given the demographics of the brand' date=' as a marketer, I would think they would be doing something to contemporize the brand and attract a younger cruiser. That said, that doesn't necessarily mean 20-30s or even families. Should be interesting to see.[/quote']

I agree. It's going to be all about attracting a 'younger' demographic. It will likely be reflected in entertainment, food and other offerings on board. What that will look like, we'll find out tomorrow.

Hmmm, partnerships and branding sounds like a hot high-visbility chef to me.

Or a popular chain restaurant? Dominos would be better than the current pizza offerings.

Maybe they'll bring back Dutch Night in the MDR?

AHOY SHIPMATES,

MAYBE THEY ARE GETTING RID OF RUDY and replace him with someone who has less EGO and can write menus that MATCH what is served on the plate,

I agree. It's going to be all about attracting a 'younger' demographic. It will likely be reflected in entertainment, food and other offerings on board. What that will look like, we'll find out tomorrow.

no matter how many times in the past they have tried for that younger crowd it hasn't worked.. 'teen center' atop the Volendam..'family targeting' for the Vista ships..now going for even larger ships although they always claimed they would never go that route.. my feeling is that there is NO way that HAL will ever lose ' it's for old people cruiseline' moniker no matter what Ashford or Kruse do to make that happen short of doing away with the company totally..then again ya' never know!..

I like it the way it is... but who knows for how long .. good things are ALWAYS ruined by some corporate desk jockey

Having worked for the US Army for 42 years I can't count the number of times we used to worry about new leaders coming up with "new" directions. They'd have a BOGSAT (Bunch of Generals Sitting Around a Table) and come up with GOBIs (General Officer Bright Ideas). :rolleyes::) As staff we'd have to struggle with how we were either going to implement a GOBI or go in and tell the general it wasn't going to work. Some generals were not very receptive. I can't help but wonder if the civilian industry has to deal with the same "bright ideas".

Hi everyone!

We are at the big announcement in NYC today (happening this afternoon) and will keep you posted on social media @CruiseCritic and with a full news story as soon as we find out the exciting news!

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

I would think they would be doing something to contemporize the brand and attract a younger cruiser.

As a marketer, you undoubtedly have seen that the Boomers are a large part of the population and that they have money to spend. Why would Carnival Corp want to steal younger customers from another of their brands like Carnival cruise? Any marketing should be to steal customers from other cruise corporations.... Carnival Corp has a strategy to provide a cruise line for everyone's taste - why muddy the waters?

As far as attracting younger cruisers, you'll note that HAL seems to be eliminating the Northern Lights from its ships - the one venue where the younger crowd might feel more comfortable.

As a marketer, you undoubtedly have seen that the Boomers are a large part of the population and that they have money to spend. Why would Carnival Corp want to steal younger customers from another of their brands like Carnival cruise? Any marketing should be to steal customers from other cruise corporations.... Carnival Corp has a strategy to provide a cruise line for everyone's taste - why muddy the waters?

As far as attracting younger cruisers, you'll note that HAL seems to be eliminating the Northern Lights from its ships - the one venue where the younger crowd might feel more comfortable.

Because the core clientele is going to age out. Maybe they don't need the 20-30 set, but they need the 40-60 set. If they cannibalize Princess a little bit in order to strike at Celebrity, that seems like a smart move.

Hi everyone!

We are at the big announcement in NYC today (happening this afternoon) and will keep you posted on social media @CruiseCritic and with a full news story as soon as we find out the exciting news!

Best,

~Brittany Chrusciel, Associate Editor, Cruise Critic

Would be nice if you could post here. We don't all use 'social media'.

Honestly I'm not too excited. After all what can HAL announce that is going to really impress! Only thing I can think of is that they have found a way for me to afford to do a round the world cruise! And we all know that ain't going to happen. So here is my list of what I would like HAL to say

1) we are bring back the trio of violinist and getting rid of the violin/piano duo. With the change, the music went from elegant classical to folk classical. Not a fan of folk classical

2) the dining room is going back to the way it use to be set. A full service of dinnerware. Last cruise half the time we had to ask for silverware. And bring back the server and his assistant. Also last time after waiting for twenty minutes or so for the tables to be cleared we just finally got up and left. no desert, no coffee. The other night the matre'd came and helped to clear tables. A couple of other nights we had problems but not as bad.

3) Elegant, formal what ever you want to call it. Either it should be a night of elegance, formal or just forget the whole thing. I really don't want to dress for dinner and the evening and sit down next to some one who looks like they came out of a homeless shelter.

4) get rid of the loud band at the pool (unless there is a special occasion) I hate when I'm sitting there enjoying the day and then I see the band (screamers) setting up the huge speakers and realize that my day just went from wonderful to terrible.

5) bring on some lecturers who know something about the area, islands, cities etc. that we will be cruising. Forget the Port talks they are just trying to get you to go to Diamonds int. for the millionth time.

Just my 2 cents. But HAL if you are working on a way for me to be able to afford a round the world cruise you have my number call it anytime day or night!

Not stealing from your friends is a good point. The new Holland Group President made the same case when he took over when he said he wanted to better differentiate and minimize competition between the brands. This could be done by appealing to different ages. It could also be done by aligning the brands geographically, ie, Holland, the brand, focuses on the China Fleet, while Princess focuses on the Caribbean Fleet, etc.